SST-90 Aspheric Light Head

betti154

Enlightened
Hi,

Here's a few pics of my first aspheric head. It's a outputs a very bright spot so I guess it's doing what it's supposed to on that front.

I used the following parts:

LED: SST-90
Driver: 9A Buck Driver
Lens: DX 28mm aspheric
Housing: delrin, alloy, acrylic (6mm)

I played with a few different aspheric lenses from DX up to the 66mm one, though the 28mm was the best size and from my visual tests output the best light.

I also gathered along the way that the smaller sst-50 might have been a better choice, but I'd already ordered the SST-90 by that stage. I'd be curious as to whether the SST-50 would

6458529121_0e99c900df.jpg

6458534197_62cb62cbe3.jpg

6458532365_2f141f8cdd.jpg

Codiak

Enlightened
Nice clean build.

Have you looked at using the aspheric from Ahorton instead?

mikesantor

Enlightened
Nice clean build.

Have you looked at using the aspheric from Ahorton instead?

I agree, Check into Aho's.

I just got into aspherics about 3 months ago. I bought 3 different kinds off the bat. the DX you bought, Ahorton's, and one for a D Mag.

The difference between DXs and Ahortons is night and day. I now have 5 DX lenses that sit in a drawer. They are garbage compared to Ash's lenses. Do yourself a favor and check them out.

betti154

Enlightened
Ok, sounds like I need one of the ahortons. Anyone got a link?

Is the focus distance the same? Ie can I just switch the head out or am on back to the lathe to machine a new part?

Thanks, ds

mikesantor

Enlightened

Is the focus distance the same? Ie can I just switch the head out or am on back to the lathe to machine a new part?

Thanks, ds

No the focal length is different. You will have to re focus.

betti154

Enlightened
No the focal length is different. You will have to re focus.

&!£^%!

If I'm making another of these with the 28mm Ahorton, will I get a better result with the SST-50? I'm after max light, not efficiency.

thanks, ds

Last edited by a moderator:

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
&!£^%!

If I'm making another of these with the 28mm Ahorton, will I get a better result with the SST-50? I'm after max light, not efficiency.

thanks, ds

SST-90 @9 amp will give you more light than a SST-50 @5 amps of course.

The advantage of the SST-50 is it will give you a tighter beam but the beam should be of about the same intensity ( lux) as the SST-90.

If for any reason you cant get a lens from Ahorton send me a PM. I have a few here.

Oh here is the link I forgot to put in my other post...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?251396-miniMAX-with-SST-90!

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, Check into Aho's.

I just got into aspherics about 3 months ago. I bought 3 different kinds off the bat. the DX you bought, Ahorton's, and one for a D Mag.

The difference between DXs and Ahortons is night and day. I now have 5 DX lenses that sit in a drawer. They are garbage compared to Ash's lenses. Do yourself a favor and check them out.

I did the same thing and agree completely with the conclusions.

ahorton

Enlightened

Thanks, ds

How is the body made? Do you have a cross-sectional drawing?
If the lens is sitting on a lip, you can probably just machine the lip down a little at a time to get the new focus right. Does the LED come in and out easily?

A crude solution might be to shim the LED if it's on an MCPCB.

Nice work ! May I ask what is size of square on ceiling and distance between ?

@Ahorton do you have some plans of your aspherics (under 45mm) if I like to try to switch yours for DE ? Thanks!

betti154

Enlightened
How is the body made? Do you have a cross-sectional drawing?
If the lens is sitting on a lip, you can probably just machine the lip down a little at a time to get the new focus right. Does the LED come in and out easily?

A crude solution might be to shim the LED if it's on an MCPCB.

The head is made in two parts, the Delrin body and the alloy section. Below is a VERY crude cross section of the alloy part. As this head is working, sealed and pressure tested I'll just give it to a mate and make another from scratch with Ash's lens. The lens (in red) sits on a lip so there is no adjustment without putting it back on the lathe which is more work than it's worth I think. The SST-90 is stuck with doubled sided thermal tape to the alloy piece at the bottom of the lens. Driver is held on the other side of the alloy section.

I designed this head to primarily house the triple optic, which is why there is extra space when the 28mm aspheric is used. The outer dimensions will remain constant meaning I can use the same parts and jig to build triple or in this case the aspheric version.

The front acrylic flat lens does the job, is cheap and quick. I'd like glass but am too lazy to source the parts and then it would require more time on the lathe to seat it perfectly.
6467946043_337219d794_z.jpg

betti154

Enlightened
How does the delrin part attach to the ali head? are they threaded?

The four screws go through the acrylic front, then through clearance holes in the alloy and screw into tapped holes in the delrin wall.