Some fun over Christmas and New Year holidays

Last week I get from eBay (original pictures from ebay auction )

f5QNtPdcvVp7132111555079P8789.jpg

6gz9oriNmCPl132111558119P8789.jpg

D3fx7nENAgop132111560058P8789.jpg

jQniOemsC6Wb132111562094P8789.jpg

very nice light , smaller than I expected ! But I like to mod it .... any proposals.

I like to order driver 9A but little overdriven it on 10A with SST-90

Ampere____6000mA_4e1b4efdcae1d_100x100.png

Last edited:

Codiak

Enlightened
Someone is offloading an MBSUB light?
Why? That's a fairly modern build.

jspeybro

Enlightened
interesting. is it one of the lights where you can adjust the beam? I'm interested in how that works.

the lens is a fresnel lens, so you can look at is as if it's a flat aspheric lens (although it is difficult to tell if it actually is an aspheric). what's the diameter of that lens?

I suppose this is the X1-VB/FF from mb-sub which is said to produce about 250 lumen (XR-E I guess) and running on 3 AA batteries

I don't think you'll have much burntime with a SST-90 at 10A on 3 AA batteries. Perhaps you can find some lion AA batteries to increase the Ah of the pack?

Easiest mod is probably using an XP-G instead of an XR-E. Or use a XM-L and choose a reasonable current to get a reasonable burntime.

Johan

Dimensions?

long : 149 mm ,
diameter on handle : 30 mm
diameter on head : 46 mm

----------------------------------------------------------

yes it could variable focus from 3° - 25° id did not measure it . Inside is CREE XR-E . Makes really nice tight beam . On projecton image I could see some reflection from emitter on the wall at tight beam . ( probably from thick mineral glas - might be some inside glass coating good solution ) .

Good point is that much more pricy canister light VB-50 have same head with SST-50 . ( I don't need so tight beam but I like powerfull penetration I have intend to made some special aperture in way ''condenser'' lens to combine beam shape and powerfull output )

I like also uniform illuminated surface at wide ( no hot spot or even corona )!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll use my standard canister with 10Ah ( I don't work with backups for buckups - doesnt have sense )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll like to have some real small light for travell and exercises in pool

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thinking to put maybe two drivers inside one for 5A (50%) and another one 9 A (100%) to use advantage of build in reed switch and give light some redundancy ( main switch is on canister lid) ; place is not problem.

Walterk

Enlightened
I've found one on Ebay as well. In the same search-operation I've found this thread. Can't wait to have it in my hands.

Is there a driver inside? That battery-holder probably is capable of only around 1,5Amp, and Michael stated somewhere driving the XR-E at 1,5A?
Is the lens to your liking?
I would think 18650 or improving batteryholder with LSD-AA might be good.
Wonder how the heatsinking is arranged. Assume thats not a reflector but the back side of the heatsink.

Last edited:
No drivers inside , just reed switch with FET . I have moded it on cable ( need something small , powerfull and light )

Lens works for me fine , I have add some ''things'' inside (don't ask me what ;-)) . I don't like mechanism for focusing too much ( complicated allen screw could loosened sometime and lens would not glide as you want) .... simple fine thread with O- rings will do same work ( ok you have cca 3-4 mm distance to overcome to adjust from spot to wide ) that mean instead one half turn to four or five full turns.

But choice of material and machining is on high level!

Heatsink is ''head'' because headm is machined in H shape.

Last edited:

Walterk

Enlightened
So no drivers.... have to find out what the FET is capable of switching, but would think its suitable for the SST50 as in the VB50-head.
That means a lot of options!!

What ampere are you driving the ínner things', as you made it 'powerfull' ? Or is that what you mean with added 'things'... added hallswitch or something?

I was thinking the focus-system was the main feature of this light.

Goldigger

Enlightened
Lucca,
How does the manual focus sytem work?
My VB-50 i could keep on turning the bezel in the same direction, which would make the beam tighter/wider.. I cant workout how its achieved while staying waterproof..

Cheers
GD

Walterk

Enlightened
For changing the current that can be switched by the FET you would need to change the FET and modify the PCB or better make a new PCB by using the original reedswitch. Have considered 3x parallel 14500 AW protected with AMC7135 but won't be raising tools for a while.

By the way; its just a slow pull on the front 'focusring' to get the assembly out and open.
Its held in place by a third O-ring thats only functions as fall-out-safety-resistance.

I've placed more pictures in this new thread thats easier to find.

7389806594_cb1509f5e0.jpg

Last edited:

mbsub

Newly Enlightened
I don't like mechanism for focusing too much ( complicated allen screw could loosened sometime and lens would not glide as you want) .... simple fine thread with O- rings will do same work ( ok you have cca 3-4 mm distance to overcome to adjust from spot to wide ) that mean instead one half turn to four or five full turns.

Hi Lucca,

sorry, but here I'm not with you an opinion. Never we had an issue with a loosened allen screw inside the focussing unit and i think only with this way you can change the focus with a half turn.

Michael

Latest posts