xm-l Buck 3a

PilleLED

Newly Enlightened
Hello
for shure you was talking about a lot ,,,cant find anything
after we may delet that Thread

i have now the 3xcree xm-l drop in from DX ,,,,,nothing happy i am with that thing :shakehead :duh2: :sick2:
not enoth light ,,its yellowish, and the angle is to wide

1. can i use another driver ,,Sharkbuck 3a

2. maybay another reflektor ,,,but withone

i was thinking useing a canister with 12v 7AH

if you experts can give me any ideeas

please

best regards
Stefan

Dashrynn

Newly Enlightened
It's probably the led itself, I have had some come in with white tints and some with a slightly lower kelvin that were kinda yellow.

betti154

Enlightened
I doubt the standard XML mr11 optic will fit given the size stated (ie~50mm). The ledil one is 35mm in diameter so I imagine the LEDs are too far apart.

If you're not happy with the colour I'm not sure what can be done there. You could try a photographic get filter but that will also cut down light output.

You might want to reconsider using the drop module, instead trying triple board from cutter.com.au. 3 * xmls @2a should I've you a pretty impressive light, tough with a warm bin and bad/wide reflector might be futile.

Regards,
Damien Siviero
http://damiensiviero.com

PilleLED

Newly Enlightened
Hello
How i see this klem is right
i have know a buck driver from shark 3a
but i have still a question
i can use 6 cells ,
and the question is ,,,how many volt i shut have
and how many volt i have after the shark driver
and i like to use cells with a welder pin to weld them together in a round shape

best regards
Stefan

betti154

Enlightened
Hello
How i see this klem is right
i have know a buck driver from shark 3a
but i have still a question
i can use 6 cells ,
and the question is ,,,how many volt i shut have
and how many volt i have after the shark driver
and i like to use cells with a welder pin to weld them together in a round shape

best regards
Stefan

Shark Buck 3A website says 24v max. http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?products_id=1244

Just a warning, but I connected my pre-wired shark buck to a fully charged 5S lipo battery (21v) and it blew up. I'm not sure if I got a dud, or it had wiring issues, etc...

PilleLED

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the info
but
i was more talking about
after the Shark Buck 3a

6cells 4s 2p
and i have 3xcml-t6 the dx drop in
do the leds have to much V. ???

another Question i have is ,,,,,,, how dangers is it to use LI-ION cells or LIFOPE
in a canister for diving ,,,if the Canister is leaking and water comes in ,,,,Firework is garanty

is this realy so dangeres
i was already thinking about ,,,to make the Bat, pack and dip it in Liquit Rubber
to seal

many thanks
Stefan

PilleLED

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the info
but
i was more talking about
after the Shark Buck 3a

6cells 4s 2p
and i have 3xcml-t6 the dx drop in
do the leds have to much V. ???

another Question i have is ,,,,,,, how dangers is it to use LI-ION cells or LIFOPE
in a canister for diving ,,,if the Canister is leaking and water comes in ,,,,Firework is garanty

i was already thinking about ,,,to make the Bat, pack and dip it in Liquit Rubber
to seal

many thanks
Stefan

Klem

Enlightened

to seal

I have flooded several Li-ion torches and the only reaction that occurs is the light goes out. No explosions, no violent reactions. When you open the canister after the dive the water that comes out is a brown colour but that is all. No doubt there is some heat generated by the short-circuit inside the canister but nothing spectacular or visible.

Do not be overly worried by stories of exploding batteries. I have never seen it, nor have I heard it from other posters. I have no doubt that if it were true it would be a hot topic of conversation.

I would appear there is more danger short-circuiting a Li-ion above water.

betti154

Enlightened
I had a slow leak in a canister, which presumably caused a short and lithium fire in the delrin canister (I'm speculating here). This built up internal pressure and even at 80m underwater it blew the threaded end cap off the sartek canister. It gave me a fright and I'm told caused one impressive pressure wave (I didn't see it, but it felt like a bomb went off on my hip - didn't hurt just scary). I switched to backup light and kept diving the wreck.

After that incident I still use lithium batteries as if that is the worst that can happen underwater no big deal. I'm more concerned about a charging related fire in my house.

I repaired said canister, cleaned the black soot out and put new batteries in it. Still use it today, though the thread has never been the same since the cap blew off.

jspeybro

Enlightened
thanks for the story, betti154. first time I hear this could actually happen, but good to know it's not that bad.

a dutch guy (subjohan, unfortunately his website is offline now) once did a test by throwing some li-ions in a bucket of salt water, but that wasn't very impressive, just some brown stuff ending up in the water. off course, there was no pressure built-up here so that was probably the difference.

PilleLED, not sure if you're getting this:
6cells 4s 2p

this doesn't make sense. 4s 2p means that you put 4 cells in series, do this twice and put these 2 strings of 4 cells in parallel with eachother. that makes 8 cells.

PilleLED

Newly Enlightened
hi

yes 6cells and 4s2p is not working ,,sorry
i have space for 6 cells but the question is 3s2p ,,is this enoth ???
or i use 4 cells only , that shut be enogh
but if i run the driver on 3a i have only about 1 hour the light

and other question i have is about the 3a shark buck driver
how to ajust the Pot on the driver clockwise is more A , or anticlockwise is more A

and to solder the driver is nothing easy ,,,i was thinking ,,if that works
to clue the cable on the driver with the Thermical heatsink

and what i will try is using a Cree Regina reflektor with 10° open the bottom a bit
that the XML can enter
shut by better focust

best regards
Stefan

PilleLED

Newly Enlightened
Hello
6cells yes you rigth ,,4s2p NO.. OK.. sorry

i can use 6 cells, is 4 enoth , and running the shark with 3a
gives only 1H light more or less.

Shark driver 3A ,,the POD ,,what side is 3a clockwise or antoclockwise

and soldering is not easy to ,, is it possible to clue the cable to the driver
with the Thermical clue

best regards
Stefan

SmokedCPU

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I got a slow flood in a canister light last year. Pack was made by me with protected cells. I got half an inch of salt water in. dived 1h.
When i turn off the light, it did not turn on again. Protection blew off, small protection board were eaten. I removed them and checked capacity, Ok, remade pack without protection exept an inline fuse.

By the way, imploding a DX 52mm thin glass is cool :) made a nice shoot !
(it was the only cool thing on this boring dive)

PilleLED

Newly Enlightened
Hello

i have now the shark driver 3a , its already in the DX drop in 3xXml
and i have to say its Bull.....
its brighter YES
but its still this yellowish color
and with 3a running , i expectet more light
and the angle is to wide

MY IDEA
is to use other XML-t6 leds
and another optik
can you help me out with the optk ,,,,,regina moded is one point

best regards
Stefan

betti154

Enlightened
I like the following, but others feel the beam is too wide for mucky water (about 15 degrees after refraction through flat port). Each to their own I guess, but your other options are aspherics or triple xpg with cute3 optic (very nice also but only 1000lm).

Leds http://cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut1100
Optic http://cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut1064

You already have the driver. You need to build a heatsink to channel heat to housing, optic is 18mm deep so you'll also need reasonable pace in the head.

At 3amp, these output a shed load of light. Destroys a 35w hid in my experience and colour temp of the ml U2 is very white at ~5700k.

Regards,
Damien Siviero
http://damiensiviero.com

Klem

Enlightened
At 3amp, these output a shed load of light. Destroys a 35w hid in my experience and colour temp of the ml U2 is very white at ~5700k.

I agree there's a lot of light coming from multiple XM-Ls at 3A but I'm not convinced they 'destroy' a 35W HID. I did a night dive last week using both a 4*XM-L and a 75W HID. It was pretty murky waters. The XM-L was on the shoulder providing area light and the HID was in the hand looking for the prawns. So, they were both on at the same time. The XM-L with DX reflector is a wider beam than the HID which is colimated/focussed. It penetrated a lot less than I thought in the conditions.

My take is that they compliment each other in the roles they performed but not outdoing each other.I'll take some beamshots above water to show the different spread. I also have a 35W colimated so I'll throw that into the photos.

Be interesting to see how those Ledil optics work with the XM-L's. Thats a nice combination at a reasonable price.