Recommend me a flashlight - Call all Gurus

jsoto

Newly Enlightened
hey all -

just discovered this forum. Can anyone recommend me a tough flashlight. When I'm on wiring jobs, I've been using my standard d AA Maglite for years.

It's time to splurge and get myself a Surefire. I was at a local sporting goods store and those flashlights are built like a tank ! Anyhow, I was checking out the E1E/E2E for daily use.

Just checking for some feedback. I know after this first purchase, there is going to be many more flashlight purchases to follow. Guess I found a new hobby

jtice

Flashaholic
The E2e and E1e are built very well, and should hold up to anything you dish out on the job.

How long to you use the light each day? If you use it a good bit, you should consider getting a KL1 led head for the E2e. Or even the SureFire L1. These will give you alot more runtime. Although alot less throw.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF jsoto!

Will you be using the light for close up applications, or will you be needing throw with your light?

jsoto

Newly Enlightened
Close up and throw.

Close up when I'm *fishing* wire out of a 1/2 hole and throw when I'm up in the ceiling, in a tight spot but I need to see 8-20 feet away

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i wouldn't really call 8 to 20 feet throw.. but maybe you'd like a Streamlight L2.. it switches from LEDs to a xenon beam.. costs between $20-30..

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
The A2-HA-WH might be just what you are looking for. It has a two stage, push button lock out tail cap. At first only the three white LED's are activated. This level of light is great for fishing, camping, hiking, et.. Push farther and a 50 lumen incandescent bulb is also activated. This actually out throws the E2E. Both levels can also be activated by turning the tail cap.
oldgrandpajack

jsoto

Newly Enlightened
heh heh - I think I'm in flashlight heaven. The A2 looks like a Perfect Outdoor Camping Flashlight - Perfect for those 2 Week Hikes

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jsoto,
If your doing electrical work, I recommend the G2 or G2Z. Both are made of nitrolon and will NOT conduct electricity. The G series light may be overkill though, since it is an incand. only light putting out 60 lumens. If you want something about the size of a mini m@g, you could go with a Surefire A2. It is metal and will conduct electricity, but is in a class all of its own. It has three leds for low level up close light and a regulated incandescent lamp for real power and throw that won't turn yellow as the batts die. It is truly a jack of all trades light.

You could opt for a Streamlight as they are cost effective and are nice lights, but to me, getting the Streamlight twin task would be settling for something rather than getting the best. The Surefire A2 out classes the Streamlight twin tasks. (OK, start flaming you guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

If 8-20 feet is all you'll ever need, you could be satisfied with an E2e and getting a KL1 head for it. You just swap head to go from a 60 lumen incand to a 20 lumen (I think, I don't remember, all of my KL1's are modded) LED.

If you're used to carrying the mini m@g, the A2 sounds like its for you. I made the mistake of selling mine and have regretted it everyday since then.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind the cost of CR123s in the Surefires then go with the A2.

If you want something thats pretty bright, durable, and rechargeable. I would get the Streamlight Polystinger. Great for working arond wires because its plastic. Bulbs and other parts are cheaper as well. I actually found a Polystinger in an A/C duct at my old work! Got a replacement lens for $3.00, and it was just like new.

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are clumsy and drop your light, then go LED. These pass the drop test.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
jsoto
If you want to upgrade your old MiniMag there are a few options. First there are MadMax & BadBoy sandwiches which are one watt luxeons. Also mineral glass lens & Kroll switch. These are available here
http://anlighten.com/shop/default.php
Then there is the Opalec NewBeam LED module.
http://www.flashlightking.com/
I also recommend the Surefire A2,E2e, E1e/KL1,L4,ARC LSH-P,ARC AAA.
If you haven't already you might want to check out Quickbeams site
http://flashlightreviews.home.att.net/index1.html

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Wish I could remember who posted this. Someone posted that HA3 is nonconductive. I experienced this fact myself when I tried to use two of DSpeck's HA3 battery extenders on one flashlight. Not even a flicker from a KL4. Changed to one extender and it work fine. The male threads on the extenders are HA3 and and that is interrupting the circuit. Now I am using brass extenders as a bridge between the HA extender and the flashlight body. Now, admittedly, this is only 6 volts, so someone would have to back me up on higher voltages.
oldgrandpajack

PS: Get the Z60 Lanyard to go with it.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jack,
Nice catch and good to know. I didn't know that.

jsoto,
Hoghead has some good advise. I forgot about the sandwiches. I have one myself. They're great. You could contact Wayne at the sandwiche shoppe and see if he could put one together for you with an R2H or Q3J, although the over the shelf models are nice as well. The beauty of the sandwich is that, if you bang up the mini m@g it's in, you just put it into another mini m@g. It's bright and lasts a good while on a set of batts.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
jsoto-

The Surefire series are nice, very nice.

But for your purposes I think that the Streamlight Twin task 2L is the right pick for you.

It will throw a decent beam to fit your need in the incandescent mode and save you on battery time when you switch to the 3-LED mode.

It's too big for Everyday carry but not for a tool box or pouch.

Cost is $29.99 from Bright Guy Flashlights.

GregR

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto to Double_A's comments. Also, if your xenon fails, you still have the LED's in the Streamlight TT 2L. Streamlight lists the LED's as 28 hours run time and the xenon as 2.5 hours run time. For the money I think it's a good deal.

Though you could go Surefire A2 and get the same features, but for more money.

Oh skip it, just get both man. Then run like hell out of here and save your wallet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike

cannon50

Newly Enlightened
jsoto -
I cringe at the thought of using a mini mag under the conditions you mention. I have done the same thing and and can't believe I am still alive. As for the other lights mentioned, they are all great true flashlights. The mini mag is just a toy in comparison. For attic work I use one of the 1 watt drop in modules made found at the first link that Hoghead gave you. It converts you old light into great work light that fills an attic with white light. It is regulated to give you constant brightness and you can use rechargables for practically zero upkeep.

sigp6

Newly Enlightened
I'm a PC tech and carry a Surefire A2 daily. I highly recommend it if you are willing to spend that kind of money - go for it! You will NOT be disappointed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom

jsoto

Newly Enlightened
Thanks All.

I'm going to go for a A2 and most likely the G2 for the car. The car itself has a cheapa$$ flashlight that constantly stays charged in the glove compartment.

Just curious.....for those that keep your flashlight in the car. Doesn't Sun kill the life of these batteries of are these so called *lithiums* no affected by heat ?

Sonic

Newly Enlightened
Hi jsoto,

What kind of wiring do you do? I am an audio/video installer and find myself in very similar situations as you do I think. I have a friend that does security/phone wiring who recently asked me to recommend a nice LED based light that would suit his needs. Like you, he needed decent throw out to maybe 50', and good side-spill for within 5'.

I ended up getting him a Streamlight TL-2 LED. It's around the same size as a 2AA minimag, a little thicker. It throws well and isn't so bright that it blinds you for up close work. The beam is usually very white(in the ones I've seen) so works well for color rendition when doing home runs. It has good runtime and doesn't get too hot even when left on for awhile. And to top it off, it only costs about $55-60.

Personally, I've been carrying a PM6 McModule and Arc LSL for EDC. The PM6 is a little overkill for what I need, but I like having a ridiculously bright light on me. You know, to freak people out on the job sites. The Arc is for 3'-12' work. If I wasn't such a flash-a-holic, I would probably carry the TL-2 LED instead.

Sonic

PS ~ that's how I came up with my name, I'm into audio.