How about a nice 2 x D flashlight?

recDNA

Flashaholic
The time has come for a GOOD, inexpensive flashlight designed to run on 2 x D sized alkaline batteries. I would like 250+ lumens.

I love my exotic beasts but the kitchen drawer needs a 2D, it just does.

These batteries are so inexpensive on sale I don't want to bother with rechargeables. I'd like to push the envelope without rupturing them. Seems to me they should be able to power an r2 for throw or an xml or xpg for flood.

Personally, I think flood is more practical indoors where it is most likely to be used so xml seems the best candidate but S2 could be nice too.

I've looked at the various mods for maglites but they are expensive and a pita to install. I'm looking for easy here.

I miss the 2 D cell size and simplicity. (I dont miss the crappy beam they put out with incandescent bulbs)

New expensive flashlights in that format require nimh which I find a pita. Obviously, the flashlight should be priced under $50 because alkalines do frequently leak and ruin. Even with that weakness I prefer them because they are so cheap and easy to use. How about it?

Please don't whine about leaking and lack of energy density. This thread is about solutions. We all know the problems.

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How abous a nice 2 x D flashlight?

The new Maglite XP-E 2D should be a good choice, or if you're open to C-cells, the ML100 will be even better.

ragweed

Enlightened

Rayovac makes 2 models that fit the inexpensive light with flood They work great around the house.The yellow one has 3 led's that are slightly on the warm tint side. The other one is like neutral white.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'd really prefer an xp-g or xm-l. I was hoping 4sevens or another decent but not outrageously priced brand would produce one. Maybe an addition to jetbeam's new inexpensive line or something from shiningbeam?

I'm not even blowing off Dx

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

tk50,

recDNA

Flashaholic
Really nice flashlight but too expensive and designed more for throw outside than for indoor use. Its really my only decent choice at the moment but I'd like something cheaper. I've had my eye open for a used ine cheap but no dice.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i keep duracell daylight 2d in my car, (the one with aluminium body, not plastic, thou the led module is the same on both) vey good light, claimed 160lm, looks like it is compared to other lights, battery tube has flutes inside, even if cells leak they wont freeze inside. has flood to spot focus. cost me 25 few years back,

Last edited:

tjhabak

Enlightened
I see where you're coming from, when you want an XM-L or XP-G emitter. I really have to say, though that for the money, the new Mag LED 2D's are nice. I picked one up @ Home Depot for about $15.00. Get some clear spray paint to stipple the reflector, and you've got a nice floody beam with a subtle but well defined hot spot that's perfect for use around the house.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

recDNA

Flashaholic
I wish one of our modders could find a way to churn out something with an XM-L cheap...even if they have to go to 3 C cells to do it but please no NiMH. I've had it with rechargeables. Just too expensive and too much trouble. I'll always have plenty of quality flashlights but I want a good dependable 2 D size that takes alkalines for the kitchen drawer.

Would it really cost Maglight much more to use XM-L instead of XP-E? Why are American companies always so far behind the curve.

Last edited:

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those emitters not sure you can meet your req. Malkoff is the only xpg I know of. Bullet proof and as simple as it gets. Drop in, tighten set screw, trim reflector. But more than you want to pay.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
You won't get much benefit from an XM-L driven at a low current, and alkaline batteries cannot sustain the high current. That's why NiMH or Li-Ion is required for many of the XM-L lights.

Have you looked at the Dorcy 6AA with XM-L? Check out the runtime graph for it, it's pretty bad. That's why NiMH is required, although I'm not sure why you're so against it. Eneloop AA's will stay charged for a long time, and won't leak. All you need to do is get an adapter and you're all set. That's what I do for my C- or D-cell lights.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elektrolumens makes the anglux with XML and xpg. Based of the Fulton 2D angle head. Prob as close as you'll get. And they are tough by themselves. With his led upgrade you get everything you want.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read your post.......buy a Fenix E05 AAA and a pack of Energizer L92 Lithium cells, if you need a little more light get a 4Sevens MINI AA or EagleTac D25A and a pack of Energizer L91 Lithium cells, if they don't have enough flood put some d-c-fix diffuser film to put over the lens.

Alkaline cells are best kept in their pack till they are needed........the 2D Kitchen Drawer light always took up too much space :nana:

Cheers
Kelly

StarHalo

Flashaholic
4Sevens MINI AA

This is what I've been using for house lights (I have two) with excellent results; it has a big, broad beam that is indistinguishable from an XM-L. I've argued for some time that someone should make a 1D body for it, would make a perfect ceiling bounce candle.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Mac makes them again, get one of his drop ins for a 3D maglite. It won't run on high for very long off alkalines but low and medium will run for ages.

Beauty of the setup is that if the batteries leak, just buy a new host for the drop in. Might cost a bit more than $50 up front, but it's a beautiful floody beam that's great for around the house. You can choose from SST-50 or XM-L. PM him to see if he'll build one for you.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I think either a Duracell Daylite 2D, or a Maglite LED 2D would be fine for the kitchen. I just picked up a blue Maglite 2D LED at Lowe's on Black Friday for $14.97. I like the forward clicky button, and a fairly bright beam. I have a 2C Duracell; but the lumens is supposed to be the same as a 2D...

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
ack NO alkalines

What we need are decent NiHM C & D cells

I hav eone of those first Fulton anglehead lights with a 1w Luxeon (two in fact one is at my parent's place)

My dad really got a kick out of the old GI lights with an LED

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
ack NO alkalines What we need are decent NiHM C & D cells

I have one of those first Fulton anglehead lights with a 1w Luxeon (two in fact one is at my parent's place)

My dad really got a kick out of the old GI lights with an LED