Programming the SPY007 XM-L

easilyled

Flashaholic
Now that I have secured one of these, I would like to confirm the programming please.

If I want to use the 2nd configuration slot to program in the higher power levels (using IMR cells), I first select PU1 and then set the knob to P2 while the light is flashing.

Then I do a PU4 to program in the knob positions.

So, lets say I want to make P6, 3A (3000ma), then:-

1 - While the light is flickering, move knob to P6
2 - Set knob to P1 (home) and light will flicker again
3 - Click three times ( ie pass 1, 10 & land on 100), then dial back & forward 30 times for 3000
4- Set knob to P0

If I leave things like this, then the 2nd Configuration slot will have stored this setting for P6 and the other positions for this slot will be the same as the default settings in the 1st (Default) configuration slot, correct?

Last edited:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds about right.
Then to go back to the stock slot 1, you PU1, then to P1.
Easy peasy
If only there were a quick indicator as to what slot you were in.

easilyled

Flashaholic
That sounds about right.
Then to go back to the stock slot 1, you PU1, then to P1.
Easy peasy
If only there were a quick indicator as to what slot you were in.

Yes, I agree.
Also, to save having to count 30 times for 3A, if there was a position for 1000ma (ie P5), it would only have to be done 3 times.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
On step #4 above the light will reach the power level you have programed (if it can) and then it will sweep the emitter 4 times.

I want to point out that if you put in a set of batteries that cannot handle the power output for the current level you are trying to program, the light will just set there and continue to try. Do not let this situation persist. If you see the light can not cal at a certain setting, take out the batteries and do a PU3 (factory cal). Then recharge your batteries or replace them and start again.

Cheers
Dave

CMAG

Enlightened
Hmmmmm sounding simple but my vocabulary pu1, p1, pu3 guess I must re word my search to 007 programing for dummys

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
PU1 = Power UP , Knob in P1
When the SPY is OFF, that is P0.
SO, to PU1
You pop the battery back off, put knob into position 1, then reinsert that batteries.
Then you follow the next step, Ie select P1 - P4 ( P= knob posiition).
Keep playing, if all else fails, you simply take the back off, click the knob 3 times ( PU3), reinsert batteries, and wait for the light to reset to factory (for the slot you are in)

CMAG

Enlightened
PU1 = Power UP , Knob in P1
When the SPY is OFF, that is P0.
SO, to PU1
You pop the battery back off, put knob into position 1, then reinsert that batteries.
Then you follow the next step, Ie select P1 - P4 ( P= knob posiition).
Keep playing, if all else fails, you simply take the back off, click the knob 3 times ( PU3), reinsert batteries, and wait for the light to reset to factory (for the slot you are in)

Thanks Launch got the lingo, Found the manual thread. Took me a second to figure click the knob 3 times = rotate from off clockwise to third detent guess I hear click and my brain is programed to push a clicky

From what I read in the directions it would appear that I would need the batteries with the discharge rate before I could program high output

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Launch got the lingo, Found the manual thread. Took me a second to figure click the knob 3 times = rotate from off clockwise to third detent guess I hear click and my brain is programed to push a clicky

From what I read in the directions it would appear that I would need the batteries with the discharge rate before I could program high output

Correct. No IMR, no 3000mA.

With fresh primary batteries you may get up over 1500mA but I do not know how much more. Please watch for the programming to finish with the sweep.

Cheers
Dave

CMAG

Enlightened
Correct. No IMR, no 3000mA.

With fresh primary batteries you may get up over 1500mA but I do not know how much more. Please watch for the programming to finish with the sweep.

Cheers
Dave

Would 750ma AW rcr work?
How do I figure the discharge rate required from my battery's to get the 3000ma there are unknown variables to me such as volts, watts and are these calculated from input or output side of driver?

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
The batteries need to be able to source 2A with ease. This is while keeping the voltage up at a 3.75V level. That is almost 8 watts from each battery.

I do not know how many different kinds of batteries can do that but rechargeable bats are the only ones that stand a chance.

The primary bats can almost get the 2A but when they do the voltage drops so low that the light asks even more current of them.

The IMR batteries are only able to source about 550mAH. You will notice that batteries that can source the high current are not big on storing lots of energy.

There are a lot of people here on the forum that know about batteries. What do the experts have to say?

Cheers
Dave

CMAG

Enlightened
Thanks Dave, so 550ma batteries would need to be rated at 4C discharge rate

I did read over the (well written) instructions thread quite a few times and got a good grasp but one grey area so.....

One more? in step 3 above rotate back and forward 3 clicks from P1 to 100ma(P4) (30x100ma for 3000ma) then return to P0 wait for flashing to stop or select another P# to set up wile flashing in P0, also called keying in, in the instruction thread.

So when I rotate back is that back to P1 ? and is there a flash or some signal in P4 or P1 before i go back and/or forward each of the 30 times?

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
The batteries need to be able to source 2A with ease. This is while keeping the voltage up at a 3.75V level. That is almost 8 watts from each battery.

I do not know how many different kinds of batteries can do that but rechargeable bats are the only ones that stand a chance.

The primary bats can almost get the 2A but when they do the voltage drops so low that the light asks even more current of them.

The IMR batteries are only able to source about 550mAH. You will notice that batteries that can source the high current are not big on storing lots of energy.

There are a lot of people here on the forum that know about batteries. What do the experts have to say?

Cheers
Dave

There are 18350 IMR cells available with a real capacity of 750mah. They are a little thicker than the 16340 cells (obviously). The creation of a dedicated 18350-007-XML would accomodate them and perhaps also allow a little more heat-sinking.

chipwillis

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are 18350 IMR cells available with a real capacity of 750mah. They are a little thicker than the 16340 cells (obviously). The creation of a dedicated 18350-007-XML would accomodate them and perhaps also allow a little more heat-sinking.

I don't think the 18350 will fit in a Spy light.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I don't think the 18350 will fit in a Spy light.

I meant that the SPY007 could be made slightly thicker to accommodate the 18350s for greater runtime and heat-sinking for the XM-L version. However, its not really necessary, since the object is not to run it at 3A for a long period.

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast
I meant that the SPY007 could be made slightly thicker to accommodate the 18350s for greater runtime and heat-sinking for the XM-L version. However, its not really necessary, since the object is not to run it at 3A for a long period.

A 007 Fatty :drool:

CMAG

Enlightened

Still nice to have run time on tap, But to make A Spy fatter would be a lot of G and M code to write would be close but may be enough meat left to do a off set bore for the 2mm and not mess up the battery cover lock work
IMO not worth messing with

easilyled

Flashaholic
My settings on the 2nd configuration are 3/15/100/700/1500/3000 ma

This seems to keep the intervals between the levels fairly even as interpreted by my logarithmic eyes.
1500ma is probably the most I'll ever need but 3000ma is nice for showing off. :)
Who would have thought that such a small Ti light could put out in excess of 500 OTF lumens even a year ago?

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
For fun, I set Slot 4 with the last 2 at 1000 then 3000, just to see the HUGE jump in output from the Stock Level 6 to the enhanced level 6