preference of headlamp with three modes or five mode

led2011

Newly Enlightened
want to do some research among the flashlight user and flashaholic. Which is your preference for the headlamp with three mode(high- low- trobe) or five mode (high -mid-strobe)

Thanks in adavnces:wave:

carrot

Flashaholic
In my opinion, the simpler the better. The less often I have to click, the happier I am.

Take the Zebralight interface. It's pretty well thought out although not perfect. From off, you can access all three modes easily: click for high, double click for mid, and hold-click for low. You can click it again from on to turn it off.

Then there's the lower end models from Princeton Tec (Byte) and Mammut (S-Flex). These are annoying: you must click repeatedly to get to the mode you want. On the S-Flex you click twice for on, then click again for brighter, then again for red and again for blink. To turn off, you must click through all the modes.

I was going to write more, but then I got bored. Someone else can fill in the gaps.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I hate being forced to go through any disco modes (strobes, SOS etc) to get to steady illumination (like many of the el-cheapo 3xAAA headlamps). My preference is to go quickly from off to the level I want to use. I press and hold the ZL lights to go from Lo to Med to Hi, releasing the button when I get what I was after. Second best is to have memory so that the light clicks on to the level I last used.

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
I like having lots of modes so I can find just the right level for what I'm doing. But I dont want to have to cycle through any blinking modes or have to start on high either. I really like my zebralights interface :thumbsup: 6 modes quickly accessable and you can choose whether or not one of those 6 is a strobe.

Last edited:

ryguy24000

Enlightened
Strobes, beacons, and ect. are good for emergencys, but I don't want to cycle through them to get to the mode I want. I like mode memory!