CREE XM-L VS MC-E

led2011

Newly Enlightened
I need some compare between cree xm-l and mc-e. Somebody says that xm-l will replace mc-e because xm-l have more advantage than mc-e. Can somebody in the forum give me more statisitic information to support that idea in the theoretical way? :)

mux

Newly Enlightened
There's nothing statistical or theoretical to discuss - XM-L puts out more light for way less money, on a much smaller footprint. Simple as that.

AaronM

Enlightened
I'm no math wiz, but here's what I got out of staring at the Cree data sheets for a while:

MC-E:
2.8A x 3.4V = 9.52W
740LM at this drive level
740/9.52 = 77.7LM/W

XM-L:
3A x 3.4V = 10.05W
910LM at this drive level
910/10.05 = 90.54LM/W

That said, I still really like MC-Es. If you want to mod a light that has a Lux-V in it, an MC-E starts to look pretty good due to wiring flexibility. Also, if you directly reflow solder it to a chunk of copper...
L2rf1.jpg

the efficiency at higher current will be better than the data sheet might suggest.
The XM-L doesn't look like it would take very well to DR-C (direct re-flow to copper) as the package has no easy to reach leads.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will admit beforehand that this is a stupid reason to pick an LED, but I think that the MC-E has a unique, artfully technical look to it. When you look at it close up, it is a bunch of wire bonds, gold plated traces, and beautiful conformally coated Cree dice. However, I can't really think of another reason to pick the MC-E. Maybe if you needed the RGBW package...
This I found via google, in DimeRazorBack's photobucket, so thanks for the pic, DRB
MCE4WT-A2-0000-000M01.jpg

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
XM-L can produce more light at any given watt.

MC-E has the advantage of multiple wiring choices: series, parallel, or 2s2p

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
The XML and XMLEZW are two completely different LEDs, one available in 3v only, and the other in 6v and 12v. One is a single big die and the other has 4 separate dies just like the MC-E.

Whats cool about the MC-E is it offers options rarely talked about. You can have 2 warm and 2 cool white dies. You can have RGBW or RGBWW or RGBNW.... I haven't seen the XMLEZ offered with those choices(yet).

MC-E:
MC-E-3-LEDs.jpg

XML-EZW:
30s8xuv.jpg

Xlamp_XM-L_ezw_180.jpg

XML:
287060-Cree_XLamp_XM_L_LEDs.jpg

others for comparison:
xpdiecompare.jpg

Look how the XPC has grown into an XPE has grown into an XPG has grown into an XML. Both the MC-E and XMLEZW have a quad-XPE look to them. Now what I'm waiting for is a quad-XPG or quad XML in an MC-E package/coloring/wiring choices.

Last edited:

Pöbel

Enlightened
I'm no math wiz, but here's what I got out of staring at the Cree data sheets for a while:

MC-E:
2.8A x 3.4V = 9.52W
740LM at this drive level
740/9.52 = 77.7LM/W

XM-L:
3A x 3.4V = 10.05W
910LM at this drive level
910/10.05 = 90.54LM/W

That said, I still really like MC-Es. If you want to mod a light that has a Lux-V in it, an MC-E starts to look pretty good due to wiring flexibility. Also, if you directly reflow solder it to a chunk of copper...

the efficiency at higher current will be better than the data sheet might suggest.
The XM-L doesn't look like it would take very well to DR-C (direct re-flow to copper) as the package has no easy to reach leads.

There is also the N-Bin MC-E which gets much closer to the XM-L (T6) efficiency wise.