How long will a Titanium TriEDC run on high?

nbjly

Enlightened
I sold a Titanium TriEDC to another member. I had never run it on high past the point where it got to hot to hold. The new owner says that after about a minute on high it starts to flash high-low-high-low. I never timed it so I don't know how long it ran for me without a problem.

Is this light defective? Or does a minute on high/too hot to handle fall within Mac's "use high with common sense"?

:thanks:

jalal20

Enlightened
from my experience, the high-low thing is a notification that the battery is low and can't run the high mode, it would run the other modes but not high, tell him to try and get another battery, maybe the one he's using is defective. Oh my exp is from the XML and SST50 EDCs but I think its the same

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lux-RC board is quite different to the drivers used in the XM-L and SST-50 EDC's.

It has a thermal cutout, as well as a low battery warning.

It'll be one (or both) of these.

brandocommando

Enlightened
I am the new owner of this TRI EDC actually. Here are the symptoms of the light in question...

Pick up the light when it's cold and it works great. It cycles through the modes fine, and functions as one would expect.

Now, turn the light on and let it run for 30 seconds on high, and the problems start. And yes, I timed it, 30 seconds on high and it goes from working fine to skipping medium mode, and pre-flashing on low a little bit as well.

The light is NOT flashing high, low, high, low as previously mentioned.

If you run it for 30 seconds, and then try to cycle through the modes you end up with a sequence something like this:

H-L-H-L-H-L-H-L-H-L-H-L-M-M-M-H-L-H-L-H-L-H-L-H-L

So basically, after 30 seconds of run time, it totally looses medium mode. It just cycles H-L-H-L-H-L as you press the switch, until it cools down for a minute or two, then it works fine again.

I just got this light yesterday. I have had it less than 24 hours and have only ran it on high for 1-2 minutes continuous at the most.
I have run it on 18350 IMR's, AW rcr123's as well as a 16340 LiFePO4. It does not matter what battery I use.

After 30 seconds of run time, it starts to malfunction big time.

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being a Ti Tri-EDC it's likely using the L333 board. My Tri-EDC uses the older L332.

My 3300L uses L333's and it can behave a little oddly at times while trying to switch modes.

When you're cycling modes, how long are you pressing the switch? I find if I try to change modes too quickly it misbehaves. If I give it a good half-second press, it's more reliable.

Just for fun, I've just tried this test on my L332 Tri-EDC. Timed on high for 30 seconds the tried to quickly shift modes. I got H-H-H-M-L-L-L-H. If I turn it off for a half second while switching modes, it works normally.

My 3300L, with the same test, goes H-M-L-L-L-L-L..... it gets stuck in low until I turn it off for a whole second.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
This odd behavior is unfortunatly normal with the lux RC boards when they get warm. My new Tri-EDC's are going to be using a plain board with the same driver that I use in my XM-L EDC. If fact the change is coming soon.

Mac

brandocommando

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys...

Well after a couple of days of using the light it has "trained" me to what it requires as far as button presses.

After it warms up I am now able to get it into medium mode! I figured out that I have to do a lightning fast momentary press when the light is on high. Most of the time I am able to get it to go into medium now.

I also figured out that if you pause about 1/2 second before trying to enter low mode it will never pre-flash either.
I discovered that it only does that when you try to go through the modes really quick.

This Ti TRI EDC has the 33-2 board FWIW.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the Rev board if you basically go through a full click press between modes it will work perfectly.

Mac