• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired More Available-- KL1-700mA Q3J or build to order

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update:

I have three more brand new KL1's ready to be modded to your spec. As before, Q3J Luxeon, any overdrive you want up to an amp, and new base price of $90. Fraen is optional at $4.00 but I only have two left. I've also been successful in getting these to pass the *blow* water pressure test. It takes more time to do but I think waterproof is mandatory now.

(Old post below)

I've been doing a lot of mods for others here and so now I'm offering the most popular mod built to order for $95.

Standard Offering:

KL1 overdriven to 700mA using Q3J's which have a good recent history. Each light will be indistinguishable from a brand new KL1 cosmetically-there will be NO scratches on the finish. The KL1's are purchased for the express purpose of modding and none of the lights have been carried--they are brand new. However, I will not cull out KL1's with HA mismatches since that's considered par for the course for anodized finishes.

Options include:

--Fraen LP optic

--Extreme overdrive to 1 amp if you're the type that drives an 800 horsepower Cummins Turbo Diesel 10 ton pickup truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Fraen option is $4.00 extra
The 1A overdrive is $1.00 extra

I can't ship with the Fraen option until probably Wednesday when I get some in. Shipping is USPS insured. Instant gratification is an additional cost depending on how fast you want to be gratified.

These mods will be available from time to time as time permits me to make each one, and I have one ready to go this week with the NX05 optic. Paypal preferred.

For the first unit I'm selling here, either option is FREE.

CM

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: KL1-700mA Q3J or build to order

CM,
Your one amp overdrive option sounds custom made for the new 3 watt Luxeons coming out. Imagine that puppy with Fraen LP optics! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif Now for those 3 watters to come out with their bin codes, a KL-1 with a T3H would be a keeper.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes please, beamshots. Will it outthrow an L4 if the Fraen LP optic is used? If so, I am interested in a 1A unit. Are there any brighter 1Ws available? R or S bin with verifiable output? I am not so much concerned with the tint.

Wilkey

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just thought I'd bump in here and CM please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll use running a single rechargeable 1400mAh batt, since that is what I use. 2X123's should give more runtime.

With my 700mA overdrive and Q3J that CM did for me awhile back, I got just about 2 hours of runtime. With a 1A mod that I did, I got 1hr and 40min of runtime on a Q3J. Of course these were just my results, YMMV.

An overdriven 1W will out throw an L4 with either the NX05 or the Fraen. It is just more so with the Fraen.

As far as there being a brighter luxeon like an R or S, I've found that binning is just a loose sorting method and is all but meaningless. The Q3J's that are around right now are by far the best combination of white and bright. Of course they are still subject to the lottery and YMMV.

BTW, the 1A mod is a bit brighter, but generates more heat. Nothing you can't handle though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And, if CM's comments differ from mine in any way, I'd listen to him. He is far more knowledgeable that I.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments Chop. I also plan to use it with a Pila 168S Li-Ion. I'd just like to have a "throw" head for those times when the KL4 just blends into a soft field of light. And if you go for that, might as well max it out with a Fraen. I also hear you about the Luxeon lottery. That's why I asked about verified output. I bought a W-bin that was quite disappointing.

Let me know, CM. I'd take the Fraen option for free and drop in $1 for the 1000mA upgrade.

Wilkey

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I apologize for taking so long to replying.

Chop's the runtime expert. I just measure current /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif His numbers agree reasonably close to my estimates. I calculate 1:50 for a single Pila on 700mA. I haven't done a 1A, so use Tony's actuals. I'll only do the 1A if you must absolutely have it. I personally don't think the marginal increase in light is worth the 20 minutes in loss of runtime as well as additional heat but Chop may beg to differ since he's done it and I haven't. It's up to you. Just remember where I'm coming from--I live in the desert where evening temps run over 100 degrees.

I'm gonna get beamshots after I get the kids to bed. I want something that's not the traditional "5ft against the wall next to a reference light" shot if my camer will cooperate. I can guarantee the Fraen will out-throw an L4, the NX05 will probably beat it but it won't be dramatic. Remember that the Fraen's will have no sidespill at all. I still prefer the NX05 for general use but for the 5% of the time when you want throw, the Fraen's outclass the NX05. Picture of the mod is pretty boring, it looks exactly like a KL1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
CM said:
Extreme overdrive to 1 amp if you're the type that drives an 800 horsepower Cummins Turbo Diesel 10 ton pickup truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif CM

[/ QUOTE ]

F750Side.jpg

Oh.. can you make my KL1 1.2 amps? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Not my truck BTW... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, here I go. Always the butt-in-ski. Ginseng, if you're out in the complete dark, like CM is used to, you probably won't notice the extra light with 1A as opposed to the 700mA mod.

On the other hand, if you're out in the complete dark in the middle of nowhere, you just might miss the runtime. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The 1A mod is what it is. A little show off light/hand warmer.

Oh, BTW. The fraen is the way to go if you want throw. Don't let the lack of sidespill keep you away. It isn't a needle beam. It's more like a cone. I posted a beam shot from about 30 feet in my house and it put a nice sized beam of light on an 11 foot wide wall in my not so completely dark dining room.

fad7e5b4.jpg

Please forgive the photography, the beam was brighter than it looks in the pic.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh, BTW, the above pic is coming from a KL1 that CM did the overdriving on for me a while back. It runs nicely.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Atomic,

Now THAT's a TRUCK! I'm such a sucker for setting myself up. I had to ask for it didn't I?

Chop, nice beamshot.

OK, now here's mine. Disclaimer: The KL4 *is* significantly brighter than the KL1 using the ceiling bounce test. However, for you throw fanatics, here's something that you'll like. Please don't accuse me of fraud here. The camera setting was identical. The pictures depicted is what the camera saw. The Fraen's hotspot is more intense, hence the KL1 appears brighter even though it isn't. The KL4's beam is much more dispersed so it appears dimmer. CCD's cannot match the eye's dynamic range so a dispersed high luminous light source will appear dimmer than a more focused, less luminous one.

If the background was a wall, the KL4 would have lit it up. The KL1 would only light that small area that you see in the picture. If you need sidespill, DO NOT get this mod with the Fraen! You will absolutely hate it. The cone of light has limited utility for my use but I think the majority prefer the "throw" over the flood. I like both lights since each has its own purpose.

L4 at 10 yards
fad4c324.jpg

KL1 Fraen, 700mA at 10 yards
fad4c31f.jpg

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

CM,
It's really dark out where you are!! I guess flashaholism came as a necessity for you, eh.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's not dark enough for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks you guys. You are among the most helpful, informative bunch I've run into here on CPF. I'm trying to absorb and process all that you've shared with me. CM, I'll PM you with my intent.

Wilkey

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ginseng's out but sale pending to another.

CM

kev65658

Newly Enlightened
Re: ***SOLD*** KL1-700mA Q3J or build to order

I have a KL1 I believe you put together r2k. I put it to the test and it leaked a little, I went to open it up a little bit and wires came loose. It was still working before I tore it up. My question to you is would if I sent it to you could you make it work again and try to waterproof it. If it cannot be fixed I would have you replace with Q3j all this at my expence of course. I love this light,but need it to be waterproof. Any help would be appreciated. Kev

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

kev65658,

I don't recall doing this mod for you. Did you buy it from someone else? The mod is NOT guaranteed to hold pressure. It should stand up to being out in the rain. I'm trying to figure out how to make the mod waterproof but haven't come up with a good way since once the LED is centered, the light stays together. PM me with the details.

Cris

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I received the light today and I must say /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif this thing rocks. It is whiter and has a much brighter hot spot than my KL4!
Thanks
JT