Is there a flashlights 101 post??

Lykaios

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone.

MY GOODNESS!!! I am having a bit of trouble searching and posting - I was going to try to prevent a post of this nature. There is no possible way :).

How the heck does anyone own only a couple of lights??

I started looking into a quality light a couple of months ago. I was caught trying to get a light at stores just before Irene and it was like trying to find a shovel after a snowstorm. I swore this wouldn't happen to me again, and decided that for a bit, cheap WallyWorld stuff is out. I needed the good stuff (I got hit with an earthquake days later, remember that??). I wanted to have one for EDC, and maybe one or two for camping/bail-out bag and one for the house. I knew of 4Sevens and Fenix. I have purchased one R5 Mini123 for my EDC and I am happy with it. The problem has come with wanting to buy another light but coming here first :sigh: :D

It's actually a good thing, but not for my wallet. I had NO idea of all of the choices, other companies (some of the EagleTac lights look very nice). I went from just going to get a Quark 123x2 with the new emitter to think about EagleTac just in general, the Fenix TK35 :drool:, what other kind of lights and accessories I might need, want, or both and who makes them, :huh: :crazy:.

This can drive me crazy if I let it.

I was just wondering if there is a BASIC checklist to keep in mind when looking for good lights, or if someone has already made a post of this nature not too long ago. From reading different posts it may become easy to forget how overwhelming this can be in the beginning.

Thanks for your time people.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello! Welcome to CPF! You came to the right place for next-generation flashlight info. You started out well with a CR123 light! When i started out, i wanted lights that only run in AA's or AAA's, but after a while, i saw the benefits of going 123's then eventually 18650's.

As a standard rule for myself, I have a Quark AA (running a 14500 battery) in my pocket as my primary EDC, then I have an iTP A3 Upgraded AAA light (running on a 10440 cell) with my keys, the in my pack i have the newly acquired Jetbeam BC25. (Which replaces my Lumintop L1C)

Reason for this setup:

1. Quark AA Tactical covers most of the work, its the main go-to light for most applications. (Floody light)
2. Jetbeam BC25, handles work where illumination is needed at further distances. (Thrower) I own a more powerful thrower, the Fenix TK35, but its too big to carry around all the time. Only on special instances do I carry that around.
3. the iTP A3 Upgraded serves as a backup.

Then I make sure to carry around a spare cell for each light in my pack then i'm ready to go.

I'm currently in the market for something to replace the Quark AA Tactical, but am hard-pressed to find something in the same price/performance range. Sure a ZL SC600 is nice, but at almost 100 bucks, not really an amount im willing to spend for a light which will get bumped, dropped, used, and abused as my primary duty light. I'd eventually buy a SC600, but just because im a collector, not for anything else.

Good luck with your search!

In the end, get the lights which you know will be useful to you. Unless you want to become a collector too. hehe...

Last edited:

tatteredmidnight

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF Lykaios,

It sounds to me like you already have the bug! My setup might be considered a bit overboard but here goes.

EDC:
1x Hi CRI Peak Logan QTC
cool white 1x or 2x AAA pen light (Preon 2 or Peak Eiger SS QTC Wide)
1x DQG II on my keychain

In my backpack:
2xAAA Peak Eiger Hi CRI
Nitecore EZ AA R2
Quark AA^2
Zebralight H501
5x AA batteries
4x AAA batteries

In my Car:
Jetbeam BC40
iTP A1 EOS
6x CR123 batteries

This is an addictive hobby. I got cough at work in NYC in the major blackout on the eastern seaboard of '03 with only a super cheap 5mm keychain light. I will never take a good light for granted again. I now have more lights than i care to acknowledge publicly. Have fun and watch your wallet!

-- Adam