My New Coast HP21

jd500

Newly Enlightened
My new Coast HP21 came in the mail a couple weeks ago and I just wanted to get on here and share my experience. I stalked these forums and did a lot of reading on the use of rechargeable batteries in the HP21. However I didn't find much since the light is fairly new. So when I got my HP21 I read the packaging very carefully to make sure that I wouldn't void my lifetime warranty. The packaging states "Do not mix old and new batteries. Do not mix Alkaline, lithium standard (carbon-zinc), or rechargeable (nickel cadmium or lithium ion) batteries." After trying the 4 D-cell batteries that came with my light with good results, I inserted my 4 fully charged 10000mah Tenergy D-cell batteries. When I pushed the button the led's came on very bright for about 10 seconds, and then got very dim. Even when I cycled the switch, the leds would not come on bright. So I called Coast and spoke with a tech. After telling him the whole story, He advised that it sounded like I had a defective light. While I was waiting on my replacement, I read about rechargeable batteries in the x21 which is similar, and found a good thread on here about the x21 being unregulated and that rechargeable batteries were not a good idea. At the end of the thread someone stated that they had found a solution, and that was to use a d-cell spacer, and 3 8000mah rechargeable batteries. When I got my replacement I tried this with my 10,000 mah batteries and had success! I am now very pleased with my flashlight. The hp21 is actually a little brighter with 3 10,000 mah tenergys that it is with 4 alkalines! (both checked with a volt meter) So far, I have used my light no longer that 30 minutes, and cant tell that my light is dimming. My only complaint is that the beam doesn't focus down like I expected. I have compared it to my Maglight with upgraded terralux 600-700 lumen bulb, and it really blows it out of the water. Also my Brinkman 3000 cp spotlight which has a much more focused beam wouldn't seem that much brighter if the coast focused down like the spotlight. I even shined the hp21 out the window on the road in front of my 02 Ford Taurus, and the Hp21 washed out the car headlights. I think that this light is very impressive!! I will post some pictures on here when I can figure out how to make them do this light justice. Pictures I have taken seem to really underestimate the power.

utlgoa

Enlightened
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Here is some company information regarding the HP21, which is now regulated

The HP21 is the ultimate High Performance LED Flashlight from Coast. With major improvements over other high output handheld flashlights, the HP21 is the choice when only the best and brightest flashlight will do. A quick cycle switch allows you to select between a high output setting of 1317 lumens, a high powered strobe mode, or a low output of 207 lumens. Coast's Pure Beam Focusing Optic System with Speed Focus Control provides superior beam consistency from spot to flood, with no dark rings typically associated with focusing flashlights. A rubber bezel ring is added to increase the ease of focusing the beam. The Bulls Eye spot beam pattern gives you a great focused spot with a maximum beam distance of 260 meters (852 feet), while producing an outer ring of flood light which allows you to see a broader area to the sides. Built tough, an impact-resistant, lightweight aluminum casing resists rust and corrosion. Tested and rated to ANSI/FL1 standards, the HP21 also features unbreakable LED's and rubberized O-ring for reliable water resistance and durability. Backed by Coast's lifetime guarantee against defects in materials and workmanship.

Tested and rated to ANSI/FL1 standards by an independent laboratory. ANSI FL1 flashlight standards explained.[/SIZE][/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Light output: High - 1317 lumens; Low - 207 lumens[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Runtime: High - 2 hours 15 minutes; Low - 40 hours 30 minutes[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Beam distance: High - 260 meters (852 ft); Low - 103 meters (337 ft)[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]4 X D batteries (included)[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Pure Beam ™ Focusing Optic System; Speed Focus[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Heavy duty aluminum casing; Front switch[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]High, strobe and low output modes[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]2.8 lbs (including batteries)[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]15.5 inch length[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Diameter: Body - 1.54 inches; Bezel - 3.03 inches[/SIZE][/FONT]

jukeboxx

Newly Enlightened
[SIZE=-1]Here is some company information regarding the HP21, which is now regulated

The HP21 is the ultimate High Performance LED Flashlight from Coast. With major improvements over other high output handheld flashlights, the HP21 is the choice when only the best and brightest flashlight will do. A quick cycle switch allows you to select between a high output setting of 1317 lumens, a high powered strobe mode, or a low output of 207 lumens. Coast's Pure Beam Focusing Optic System with Speed Focus Control provides superior beam consistency from spot to flood, with no dark rings typically associated with focusing flashlights. A rubber bezel ring is added to increase the ease of focusing the beam. The Bulls Eye spot beam pattern gives you a great focused spot with a maximum beam distance of 260 meters (852 feet), while producing an outer ring of flood light which allows you to see a broader area to the sides. Built tough, an impact-resistant, lightweight aluminum casing resists rust and corrosion. Tested and rated to ANSI/FL1 standards, the HP21 also features unbreakable LED's and rubberized O-ring for reliable water resistance and durability. Backed by Coast's lifetime guarantee against defects in materials and workmanship.

Tested and rated to ANSI/FL1 standards by an independent laboratory. ANSI FL1 flashlight standards explained.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=-1]Light output: High - 1317 lumens; Low - 207 lumens[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1] Runtime: High - 2 hours 15 minutes; Low - 40 hours 30 minutes[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Beam distance: High - 260 meters (852 ft); Low - 103 meters (337 ft)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]4 X D batteries (included)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Pure Beam ™ Focusing Optic System; Speed Focus[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Heavy duty aluminum casing; Front switch[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]High, strobe and low output modes[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]2.8 lbs (including batteries)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]15.5 inch length[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Diameter: Body - 1.54 inches; Bezel - 3.03 inches[/SIZE]

So does this mean i can buy a Coast hp21 right now and not have to mod it like the op to use the 10,000 mah batteries?