Dumb digital camera question

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
on resolution. I have a Canon S110. I am trying to print photos, but can't seem to get the resolution past screen level. I have the cameras settings on max resolution, but it just seems to make the picture larger. What am I missing?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a print/page set up problem. What software are you using to print the picture? Didn't someone else have a similar problem that was discussed here not too long ago?

jtice

Flashaholic
Do you mean that the picture is bigger than the paper?
For printing, keep your settings up.
The printer page setup should say something about fitting to page.
Or the program you are using to print the photo.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I mean is that the resolution seems to be that of the monitor (75dpi). Setting the camera to high resolution just seems to make the picture larger. Even taking the large picture and printing a small version doesn't seem to do the trick. I am puzzled!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Phaserburn,

If you're using the PhotoRecord print software it came with?- (nice utility- lets you print several pics on one 8.5X11 and you can adjust the relative size of each one) I suspect it maybe printer settings. I got very decent 8X10s with the S110 (then the S200, then the S230, and now S400, Damn you Canon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Larry

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
tvodrd, I have my printer setting to maximum. The thing is, when I do a properties check on the file or go to change the size of the photo, the software is reporting the dpi to be 75.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Phaserburn,

I haven't a clue what printer you are using, but I still suspect it is the problem. Mine (Epson 1160 I've had a couple years) has settings for paper type, dpi, etc. It is kinda wierd you are unable to print a decent photo off that camera.

Larry

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I agree. I am using a HP 6110. It can produce beautiful prints. It only has issues with these photos. It drives me nuts. I have excellent quality photo paper, and am quite PC literate. The settings are all set for "best", etc.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Phaserburn,

I think I'm out of ideas. Your file sizes for a 2Mpixel .jpg from that cam should be abt 1MB. Canon usually includes a low end editing software like ArcSoft. Have you tried printing from other software?

Larry

doubleganger

Enlightened
First, the reason the photos look so big is that is the only way you can display the high resolution on your monitor. you said something about changing the size of the photo. If you resize the software will automatically resample the number of pixels to a lower resolution unless you specifically set it not to. For example in photoshop if I crop a picture to 8X10 I lose resolution. So instead I crop to 24X30 to give the 8X10 shape without losing resolution. I'm sure that's a kludge but it works for me.

UK Owl

Enlightened
Keep your photo's at the original resolution you take them with and burn them onto CD as they are, as in the future sometime you may be glad of this greater resolution.

As for printing problems, this will be down to the software you are using. I always use Paint Shop Pro 5. I know later versions are available but this is still relatively easy to use, and has all the functions I want. To change the print size simply select 'page setup' and edit it to the size you want.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with UK Owl. Paint Shop Pro is now up to 8 and a free either 30 or 60 day demo available at the www.jasc.com site. It is rather expensive to buy though. If not doing 4x6's where I have to pre-trim, I just choose the fit to page option. Other imageing apps have this feature as well.

Ratus

Newly Enlightened
I don't know what O/S you're using?

But XP does have some photo software built in, it can resize photos for printing or e-mail.

In printing it can stretch or shrink a photo to fill a page, also print it in various sizes from wallet (with multiple copies or other images) to 8"x10"

This is simplest way I have found for WinXP.