Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161720 ... LastLast

Thread: Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My! (II)

Flashaholic*
    below polar circle.. in country which used to make nokia phones.

Default Re: Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My! (II)

edit: ok now that i wrote the third reply it shows my first.. this one.. weird..

west coast. (look at the map of the gulf of botnia and you see the dip in shoreline towards east, thats the town) temperatures not that bad here.. its been below -30 up north and east.. over here we maxed out at -25 or so.. now -10 or so.. and should ease little more next couple days.

we have similar margarene here i bet.. (not suprised if it sold here under different name) i know i have had it on my trips in sweden. but butter is better.

-----
    as a side note off topic.. zeesus rockauto.com has increased its shipping prices in few years.. i was looking into brake parts and they started to ask 180dollars just for the s/h. pads and calibers only. didnt bother cheking how much rotors would of added on top. (it used to be lot cheaper to get them shipped before)

thought about upgrading my 60s cars front drum brakes into disc brakes. (with scarebird conversion kit) now i need to re think it.. and check what kind of prices they ask for them parts here. or forget the upgrade.
    Last edited by NonSenCe; 02-11-2012 at 07:28 AM.
    *MaKiNG SeNSe iS NOT My PRioRiTy* *One is None, Two is One, But Butter is Better*
    *Flashaholism: DeeP DaRK HoLe im falling into, glad that I have my flashlights to light the way.*

Flashaholic*

third time in last 14 hours that i try to reply on this post.. it allows me to write and send but nothing shows up.

okkkk.. the swedish margarene.. i know how it tastes, i have had it in trips to sweden.. and i wouldnt be suprised if they would offer very similar or exactly same product here but under different name. but.. still.. butter is better

----
    meat soup ahuh.. i believe its broth like thing. (meat chunks, peeled potatoes, carrot chunks, salt and black pepper and water.. let it simmer and enjoy.. simple food for simple people like me. hahaha)
    ----

yeah its been below -30c up north and east.. but down here in west coast it maxed out on that -25c this time. now it has eased up to -4c or so.. and its supposed to stay like this for most of next week atleast. i like. (no too cold, not too warm, snow wont melt and then freeze up to make seriuosly slippery ice everywhere.. about best winter temperature it is hahah.)

and where i live: west coast.. look at the gulf of bothnia between swedes and us.. see the widest part of it.. the dip in shoreline towards east.. thats the town i live at.

---
    home made sandwich buns out of the oven.. almost too hot to hold but butter melts like a charm.
    *MaKiNG SeNSe iS NOT My PRioRiTy* *One is None, Two is One, But Butter is Better*
    *Flashaholism: DeeP DaRK HoLe im falling into, glad that I have my flashlights to light the way.*

That's nice, written explanation. Don't work for me, sorry. Of course, the name of the town would have been SOOO much easier considering I can easily search for it.

Home made bread rocks. I used to bake my own in Sweden but that was then and I don't remember how or what I did. Sucks!

I like real butter but to me it's a bit too heavy and I can only eat so much. Also, it tastes better when it's cold but you can't spread it.
    When you CAN spread it, it doesn't taste as good

You know that if you ever need anything from the states, let me know.

Mind you, I doubt I can ship something to you cheaper than a company can 'cause they get better prices (don't know if that's true for the us post though)
    but again, if there's anything I can do, let me know.

I usually make some pretty tasty sandwiches when i'm drunk on Sam Adams beer.

One of my favorites was a Spam, fried egg, cheddar, pickled jalapeno slices, yellow mustard and chipotle tabasco on some 9 grain bread.

So good! But then again, I get the munchies when I drink. So maybe I was just really hungry.
    "Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway"

Well, in my professional opinion (professional eater) and considering I hate mustard and
    I don't think Spam looks appealing, I'm thinking it's the munchies

Flashaholic*

spam.. shivers --yuck.. horriblll memories! during my army stint we had couple weeks of live round training up north in middle of nowhere forest.. (artillery, forward observer i think is the title in english) and i was too hurt to participate in beginning.. so i was assigned for few days to kitchen/mess duty.. helping the kitchen people making all foods for the soldiers.. breakfast lunch and dinner.. for those that werent doing the MRE thing.. some units did mre others were fed "well" hahah.. and ofcourse that "helping" meant cutting all vegetables peeling potatoes etc.. but most horrible was opening up hundreds of cans of spam.. and dropping that yucky sickly mess out of it.. and then chopping it even pieces/cubes.. yucky job! and the stench of the fat/lard sticks on the uniform! if i recall right i was 4 days in kitchen and they made us do something out of that yucky spam on two of the days. since then, i havent touched spam. it still gives me nightmares! i was actually happy to hear that i get to go back to normal duties in the end of the week.. hahah..

me beeing cryptic so only those whom really need or want to know will check the town up, backfired i see. hahah.

and there are plenty things i might want to get but those selling it are asking too much for postages. (and its hard to believe that it would cost 170dollars to ship the brake calibers etc via usps. i think they want to use some fedex etc) if i recall right they asked 35 dollars for just the springs and maintenance set for drumbrakes.. and thru ebay someone offered to send the same for 19dollars.. and i believe when the package would arrive here it would say 7.90$ on the sticker.. (same thing has happened with some of the nfl-jerseys i bought from states.)

Hell, I'm not THAT interested and again, my problem is reading comprehension so I had no idea about what you were describing.

ANyway, here's the way shipping works. You have two options basically, US Mail which by the way sucks and it may not get there
    and if it doesn't, it'll be a pain in the ass to get your money back and tracking/tracing sucks, OR,
    Fedex, UPS and so on, but, they usually cost more, AND, there is a customs brokerage fee which YOU pay.
    The Post has that built in as they have their own customs department. That's where the difference is.

HOWEVER, if these companies don't want to ship regular post and you want something or want to check it out,
    do this. Contact the seller and ask him how much the SHIPPING weight is and the DIMENSIONS of the package
    and let me know and I'll ask my local post office how much to ship it.

Also, if I ship, I'll declare whatever value you want and label it gift. HOWEVER, keep also in mind the cost
    to ship it to ME which in the US is usually not very high depending on the company.

For low cost items, this is pointless but for more expensive stuff OR, stuff that you can't find over there
    this can help and I'll be happy to help.

Now, another thing is that the Post is much more sensitive to weight of packages and they charge you
    pretty much by the gram so a heavy item would be expensive. I just sent my Wolf Eyes Boxer to england
    at 3pounds of weight for $25.

Break calipers would be much heavier wouldn't they?

Maybe you should do like the Flintstones and break with your feet? I'm just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by guiri View Post

Break calipers would be much heavier wouldn't they?

Probably 10 lbs a piece x however many he needs, either 2 or 4. So, yeah, heavy.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

Yeah, he don't wanna do that over USPS...

Nonsence, keep in mind that whatever price they quote you on fedex or ups, WILL more than likely incur another
    fee for the customs broker which would be 50 bucks and since they won't fiddle with the claimed value
    there will be customs and tax on top of whatever you buy and tax I'm sure, just like in Sweden is very high.

Flashaholic*

yeah.. death and taxes. gotta pay the customs fee and taxes for the shipping charges too! that sucks. i get it, if i pay duties etc from the item but both item and s/h price total.. and they run about 17-25%.. so if they ask 170 dollars for shipping.. so just the shipping actually will cost me over 200$. seriously nuts! (if item or items including their s/h stickers stay under something like 70$ i dont have to pay any taxes or duties of the items.. so that somehow also has become my aesthetic limit for each edc item i carry.. 70 or under. hahah.)

yeah. the shipping inside the usa seems to be often either free or under 8 dollars.. but overseas they have seriously pumped up prices especially on slightlu heavier items.

im used to that shipping FROM here to overseas is expensive, but now.. it seems its not that bad anymore.. 30 kilos max weight (65 pounds or so) to usa about 162 dollars!
    and yeah the 170dollar sh charge of rockauto.com was only for brakepads and calibers (around 20 pounds i belive and that would cost me about 75 dollars to ship). weird. its is like they have traded places in few years.

-----
    hey food related thing to add right in middle of random rambling and ranting.. had carelian stew and mashed potatoes. you know to throw dem mods off course. hahah.
    and had bad tasting banana.. too "flour" like.. made me thirsty as it felt like it clinged inside my mouth.. (reminded me of some other fruit that is bananalike but isnt banana but more "food" like thing.. cant recall its name now..

------

i will try to see what kind of prices do they offer over here over the counter. sometimes they suprise positively. (got plenty of time before i must decide.. its heart of winter
    now.. and the car is only for summer time.. so it will be 2 months atleast before i can think of going out and under it to tinker with it, as the snow has melted away.) was gonna upgrade them drums into discs if it would of been around 400-500dollars total.. but adapter itself is about 240$ (with taxes) the brake parts them selves were like 30dollars or so but shippin price just kills it.

small things one cant get from here or get them shipped here are the ones which are good deals.. (most things one can get if one spends time shopping around, google is fiendish friend sometimes) one place that used to have neat trinkets and doodads for sale, countycomm.com btu they didnt send overseas.. not sure if they have changed policy since.

---
    more food things. i wish we would have those milk cans/jugs i saw and drank when in america.. those half gallon or something see thru plastic jugs.. wide mouth.. total awesome feeling gulping milk from one to ones thirst. (yeah i think milk is great drink to quench thirst) it felt dirty and awesome at the same time to gulp from one of those straight out of the nozzle/spout.. hahahah. (not a thing i would do if there are other people whom might take milk out of the can after me.. but if im alone.. and i know i will finish it.. i might drink it straight out of the cart.. (not when i eat something.. then i use a mug of some sort.. but as drinking for thirst ..straight out of carton is decadently cool sometimes.

and yea i drink alot of milk. (1-2 liters a day)

----
    the town = Pori.

----

having toblerone chokolate atm.

Pori, huh? Way down in the south. Do you ever fish in the Patusjärvi lake?

I think in Sweden, you pay customs and tax on the shipping price too or something.

Bananas...I think you may be talking about PLANTAINS

I'm still looking for someone to pick up the camera for me in Philadelphia but can't find anyone
    so I'm guessing I'll miss this one too
    Damn country's too big. Sometimes, that's not a good thing

I stopped drinking milk 45 years ago. I can't stand regular milk.
    Love buttermilk but not regular milk.

Toblerone is some good $hit bro.

I once bought this huge 5kg Toblerone from a souvenir shop at the Cologne train station.

Thing must have been 20-30" long.

It as a trip going into the movies in Sweden with this thing under my arm and people
    freaking out. One day some dude said that it was fake. Shut him up when I started
    braking off triangles the size of bread slices, hehhhe

Oops, here you go

http://www.swiss-memories.ch/shop/US...&h=738#Ziel311

Apparently, they made one that weighs 102kg too http://www.toblerone.ch/history/scho...?sc_lang=de-ch

Last edited by guiri; 02-13-2012 at 09:31 AM.

MMMMMMM..chocolatey goodness.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

Big enough for ya Nick?

Flashaholic*

and she is rather pretty too.

yeah.. having one of those oversized chokos would be rather cool.. *hug your chokolate once a day* would be SOOO much more better.. the chokolate bar would be big enough to feel like its "hugging back"! wow! hahahah

-------
    patusjärvi? oh..right, palusjärvi. and no i have never fished there. i dont fish that much anymore . but if i do, i fish on the river, and its delta for better word (the mouth of the river).. and sometimes on the sea. (the delta is more my area, as my parents summer cottage is located there.) its connected directly to the sea. part of the shoreline, but it hardly ever gets any salty water because of the river.

So, what kind of fish do you catch and is there a lot of fish there?

I love fishing AND eating fish

Quote Originally Posted by guiri View Post
    Big enough for ya Nick?
    I'll take one of each.

Flashaholic*

mostly just pike and perch. and yeah. there is plenty fish livin there.. around the cottage they are rather small in size (shallow waters ..big like deeper waters)

but its great mating ground, for instance pike comes there to mate, so then one could basically row a boat next to them and pick them up by hand.. hahah. and anytime during the summer if the water is really low, one can easily see the wake or the backfin of all bigger than 2 kilos.. biggest i have got few dozen yards away from the porch (with net) was over 7kilos (15lbs) but most pikes living there are more like 1-3 kilograms (young pikes hunting the small pray that likes to eat there).

best fish: the one you caught half an hour before, gutted, salted and its now getting grilled on the open fire in frying pan. (tiny perch maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I'll take one of each.
    You can't handle that much chocolate bro and yes, I DO mean both

Nonsence, love perch bro. Used to fish for it with bobber/cork. Love to watch them pull that thing under

http://www.google.se/search?tbm=isch...98l678l2.4l6l0
    Last edited by guiri; 02-13-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Flashaholic*

yeah.. good way to spend/waste time.. fishing for fun with one of those cork bobblers..

ahh.. summer memories: sitting by the water feet dug into sand/mud ankle deep in water.. in the evening sun.. all laid back and no where to go.. and casually keeping eye on that bobbler time to time.. kinda hoping it wont move.. as then you are supposed to do something about it. hahah. its better just just relax there in the sun just sipping your favorite favorite cold drink. be it beer soda or what ever.. just be. do nuthing. relax and enjoy.

i normally do that couple times a summer.. just drive up to cottage on my own, sit there for few hours (sometimes intentionally "forgetting" to put a worm in the hook.. those pesky fish wont bother you then)

---
    anyone done any ice fishing?
    you know.. drilling a hole in few feet thick ice.. drop hook and line in and wait for the bite while you freez your butt out there. hahah.

used to do that more often in winter time.. but havent been in few years.. maybe this year when ice is still thick but sun starts to warm you up..

---

damn those perches in pictures are monster sized! hah. fighting one of that size aint fun anymore. hah. they are tiny up at our little cove. palm sized or smaller. kinda 3 bite size after grilling. (hungry man does one with one or two hahah)

Damn nonsence, you're a friggin' poet

I think those perch are american and everything's bigger here

I've done ice fishing, very cool actually

Sitting in the summer fishing huh? What? No mosquitoes?

In northern sweden they'd eat you alive

My mom said that last year was really bad with the mosquitoes

By the way, Nogg, how you doin' and is Acid back yet? My memory is shot but I don't remember getting any
    asian food pics

I'm here. I'm fine.

I don't remember seeing any of Acid's picture either....
    amateurs practice ‘till they can get it right – professionals practice ‘till they can’t get it wrong

Flashaholic*

and happy valentines day to you guys. (over here its more like friends day ..it is named as such.. not so love focused)

there might be few mosquitoes but not bad.. and it was easy last year here on the mosquitos.. the weather was so that they didnt breed well. and ofcourse there is the repellents to use.

yeah, pictures of the asian girl are still missing..

Quote Originally Posted by Meganoggin View Post
    I'm here. I'm fine.

I don't remember seeing any of Acid's picture either....
    If he keeps this up, he'll be on the hit list too, right after DM.

Is he back home?

Quote Originally Posted by NonSenCe View Post
    and happy valentines day to you guys. (over here its more like friends day ..it is named as such.. not so love focused)

there might be few mosquitoes but not bad.. and it was easy last year here on the mosquitos.. the weather was so that they didnt breed well. and ofcourse there is the repellents to use.

yeah, pictures of the asian girl are still missing..
    I know what happened with the skeeters (southern for mosquitoes) Nonsence, they all went to Sweden

Guys I am home! I'm safe and didn't have to get the UK government to swap me for any Vietcong prisoners. I've not uploaded any photos yet because I'm lazy. Ive put them on Facebook which probably doesn't help but hey it's a start.

How is everyone?

I had some nice food away some interesting meats. Snake, water buffalo, frogs, pigeon and maybe a four legged animal that barks called sparky. Apart from that it was noodle soup called Fu gai. The gai is just chicken I think bo was beef can't remember the spelling etc.

I promise I'll get back on this soon. Just been a bit busy since coming back. I've been teaching all the new starts at my work how to stop themselves killing customers.

Steven

Killing customers should be allowed. I bet it'd relieve tension like a mofo

Quote Originally Posted by guiri
    Killing customers should be allowed. I bet it'd relieve tension like a mofo
    Only problem is the paper work afterwards....

Nah, if everyone keeps quiet, that's not a problem