Storacell
Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123456789101353 ... LastLast

Thread: Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My! (II)

Default Re: Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My! (II)

Quote Originally Posted by NonSenCe View Post
    +1 on what guiri said just above me.
    ---
    and tongue.. well that would be a positive sign wouldnt it? hahah.
    ----
    crepes suzette.. yes please. looked it up. very nice.
    ---
    Crepes suzette is amazing but no one offers it in the restaurants

Mind you, I'm sure half of the restaurants would screw it up anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I do ask that there's something in folks' posts dealing (in some remote fashion) about the thread topic though, i.e. food.
    Betcha I can find something edible in ANY post...that's just how my mind works...

Quote Originally Posted by Acid87 View Post
    Sorry Kestrel,

Although march did mention dead animals in his post. Most things we eat are dead animals.

Had a milk chocolate magnum tonight for the first time in a good few months. It has been snowing in Scotland so I'm chilly Baltic.

At the football this afternoon ( Glasgow rangers game we won 2-1 ) I had bovril for the first time. It was a strange experience but definitely worthwhile given the temperatures.
    Ok, you wanna translate the last two sentences. We don't all speak braveheart you know..

Ie, what's chilly Baltic and bovril dammit?

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    I do ask that there's something in folks' posts dealing (in some remote fashion) about the thread topic though, i.e. food.

Ahhh, so you are now the one tasked with corralling this cadre of miscreants I take it? Poor thing.

Works for me. I have all kinds of dead animals in our two freezers. Some of which are even for eating.

The rest are for the experiments in your secret underground lair, I presume?

Quote Originally Posted by guiri

Betcha I can find something edible in ANY post...that's just how my mind works...
    ^^ This dude was ready to turn that nasty marabou stork into a sandwich if he could find a big enough roll.

Oh, BTW, march - I chucked that crappy chutney in the "rubbish bin". I didn't like it enough to keep it. I am going to have to get some new stuff. If I pay you for it, would you send me a jar of the spicy Lidl's chutney? I don't know what shipping cost would be but if you go the slowest method it can't be too bad. I'm getting far too curious. I'm sure when it's sealed it needs no refrigeration on the trip, plus it's cold out anyways this time of year.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review Malkoff MDC Review MY LIGHTS McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It, DoNotDelete It.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Oh, BTW, march - I chucked that crappy chutney in the "rubbish bin". I didn't like it enough to keep it.
    Crap! Now he talks like March too...

Hey, if you're gonna send him some chutney, I want in but on a jar of the NON spicy stuff. If it's ALL spicy, I'm not interested as it'll make me crap my pants!

Coldwise it's not gonna be a problem but I suggest IF March does it, he puts it in some kind of plastic container to minimize on weight and the necessary
    packaging to avoid the glass breaking (and hence, more weight still).

I would also list the contents as either chutney which I'm sure most people here don't know what it is or condiments to keep the agricultural department
    from getting all stupid and stealing the stuff.

Ok, you wanna translate the last two sentences. We don't all speak braveheart you know..

Ie, what's chilly Baltic and bovril dammit?
    Chilly Baltic just means very cold.
    Chilly is just cold and Baltic is as in the place.

Bovril is a meat based drink. It's a sort of gravy type deal a bit like well gravy.

Hope that helps and I'll try and limit the "Braveheart"

Nah, it's ok, you talk all the braveheart you want, how else am I gonna learn new $hit!

So, gravy to drink huh? I'm sure it's better than it sounds.

We have something in bulgaria that I love which is very thick and muddy looking but I love it.
    Haven't had it in many years though

By the way, apparently they are making it in the US now so I wrote to them to see if they
    have any distributors already in the US. Since the site is not complete, I can only guess
    that they just started.
    http://www.bozausa.com/index.htm

..and yes, this is what it looks like http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...8c/Boza_bg.jpg

Nah, it's ok, you talk all the braveheart you want, how else am I gonna learn new $hit!

So, gravy to drink huh? I'm sure it's better than it sounds.

We have something in bulgaria that I love which is very thick and muddy looking but I love it.
    Haven't had it in many years though

By the way, apparently they are making it in the US now so I wrote to them to see if they
    have any distributors already in the US. Since the site is not complete, I can only guess
    that they just started.
    http://www.bozausa.com/index.htm

..and yes, this is what it looks like http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...8c/Boza_bg.jpg
    Bovril is slightly darker than this. More oil coloured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovril

I'm guessing it tastes much the same.

Flashaholic*

The grass hut is sometimes attacked by the goats ... So , the grass hut is food for the goats and the goats are food (and milk when they are alive) for us.

The cycle generator can power our small microwave oven for about two minutes ... Marylou's legs get tired after all that high speed pedalling , hence the time limit ... Still , two minutes in a 650 watt microwave is OK for some foods ... The foods resting time unfortunately is shorter than the pedallers resting time , so obviously the type of food to be cooked has to chosen carefully.

Should have mentioned all this in my original post , but it was my turn to guard the chickens (which are also food).

p.s. Omelettes filled with freshwater shrimps or crayfish are OK in the microwave too.

Flashaholic*

Oh, BTW, march - I chucked that crappy chutney in the "rubbish bin". I didn't like it enough to keep it. I am going to have to get some new stuff. If I pay you for it, would you send me a jar of the spicy Lidl's chutney? I don't know what shipping cost would be but if you go the slowest method it can't be too bad. I'm getting far too curious. I'm sure when it's sealed it needs no refrigeration on the trip, plus it's cold out anyways this time of year.
    Unfortunately there isn't enough room on the latest Kon-Tiki raft to America ... Shame really , as it is the slowest method of tansport.

Anyway we can't even bring apples and oranges or other fruit through customs into America ... Mangos are fruit , so that's out as well ... Wouldn't want to be put in jail for "Chutney-running" as it would be classed as smuggling ... Shame again.

The easiest way to get Lidls Mango Chutney is to book a cheap-day return flight on one of the many airlines on the UK route ... Or if you know anyone in the Airforce , they can get free indulgence flights to the UK and they can pop out to the nearest Lidls to get your chutney ... Try both types of chutney.

The British Consul or one of the Vice-consuls might be able to bring it in , inside the diplomatic briefcases ... This is probably the best idea if you know someone in the Embasy.

Or , come on holiday to the UK ... Our economy needs the boost !

Ahhh, so you are now the one tasked with corralling this cadre of miscreants I take it? Poor thing.
    Yep, I drew the short straw this time, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by march.brown View Post
    The cycle generator can power our small microwave oven for about two minutes ... Marylou's legs get tired after all that high speed pedalling , hence the time limit ... Still , two minutes in a 650 watt microwave is OK for some foods ...
    Speaking as a retired part-time bicycle racer (only Cat 3), I would suggest having Marylou enter the Tour De France. The best world-class cyclists can deliver approximately 250 watts, so if she can pedal over twice that - all I can say is, Look out Floyd Landis!

I'm afraid that being half English, I can't quite keep up with all of the crazy Scots and Welsh around here; one thing that was popular with the elders where I grew up was fish (salmon) head soup. Too rich for my tastes, plus it was a bit disconcerting to ladle up a bowlful while the floating head was looking back up at you.

One thing I used to make a lot of just after college was grilled cheddar & pastrami sandwiches, with homemade bread. Very very very tasty.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 12-18-2011 at 10:42 AM.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

One thing I used to make a lot of just after college was grilled cheddar & pastrami sandwiches, with homemade bread. Very very very tasty.
    I work outdoors and there is nothing better than coming back to the cabin and having the same sandwich. I love how the pastrami goes nice and soft sooooooo juicy.

plus it was a bit disconcerting to ladle up a bowlful while the floating head was looking back up at you.
    You think that's bad, try a cow's head staring at you...

OK.....

Bovril tastes awful.

Kestrel - where the hell have you been?

I am going to Vegas in January. I will post Lidl chutney, spicy or otherwise to anyone (who was part of our original group) who wishes to try some, that includes you Kestrel.

Anyone who is in Vegas who wants to buy me a beer will be most welcome.

Lamb shanks tonight, with roast potatoes and steamed veg. Yum.
    amateurs practice ‘till they can get it right – professionals practice ‘till they can’t get it wrong

Lamb shanks, sounds great.

I would like some of the stuff that March recommended in the beginning of our thread..you know, 15 years ago

Mild or normal if that's possible. Don't want me poopin' my pants do you?

March is at the right age for poopin' his pants but I'm still a little too young (I think)

Unfortunately.....
    Always with you it can't be done.

Yep, I drew the short straw this time, lol.
    DM must have tried to eat a sandwich and shorted out his circuit board. Silly supercomputers.

Anyways it's good to have you. I feel privileged that this thread gets it's very own moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by Meganoggin View Post
    OK.....

Bovril tastes awful.

Kestrel - where the hell have you been?

I am going to Vegas in January. I will post Lidl chutney, spicy or otherwise to anyone (who was part of our original group) who wishes to try some, that includes you Kestrel.

Anyone who is in Vegas who wants to buy me a beer will be most welcome.

Lamb shanks tonight, with roast potatoes and steamed veg. Yum.
    Clearly, I do not understand food import/export laws. Anyways, shoot me a PM when you are on your way and I can give you the particulars as well as the monetary compensation. Mmmm, chutney.

Today was a VERY good day for me in the sandwich realm. Let me tell you:

For lunch I went to a friend's house where a few of us gathered and we had steak sandwiches. A very good beef tenderloin, marinated and grilled and sliced up. Put that on a fresh roll with fried onions and mushrooms, garlic mayo and horseradish mustard. That was a most delightful sandwich!!

For dinner, my mom made Cuban sandwiches. Pulled pork shoulder, ham, swiss cheese, pickles and spicy mustard on fresh french bread, pressed and grilled on a griddle so it is hot and gooey in the middle with the outside crispy/toasted. Man, those turned out really well too. Another delightful sandwich!

I ate very very well today.

And then I just recently polished off a chocolate martini I made, just to try something new. Not bad. Svedka and Creme de Cacao with an ice cube. I'd drink another.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review Malkoff MDC Review MY LIGHTS McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It, DoNotDelete It.

DM must have tried to eat a sandwich and shorted out his circuit board. Silly supercomputers.
    Nah, he's just hiding...

Clearly, I do not understand food import/export laws. Anyways, shoot me a PM when you are on your way and I can give you the particulars as well as the monetary compensation. Mmmm, chutney.

Not really a problem. THey're really only looking for FRESH produce and meat. Canned stuff like chutney shouldn't be a problem.
    Same applies to me, lemme know and I'll send payment or if it's ok with nbp, send it to him and he can send it to me so you don't have to spend
    your vacation time at the post office and I'll just send him the bucks...

Today was a VERY good day for me in the sandwich realm. Let me tell you:

For lunch I went to a friend's house where a few of us gathered and we had steak sandwiches. A very good beef tenderloin, marinated and grilled and sliced up. Put that on a fresh roll with fried onions and mushrooms, garlic mayo and horseradish mustard. That was a most delightful sandwich!!

For dinner, my mom made Cuban sandwiches. Pulled pork shoulder, ham, swiss cheese, pickles and spicy mustard on fresh french bread, pressed and grilled on a griddle so it is hot and gooey in the middle with the outside crispy/toasted. Man, those turned out really well too. Another delightful sandwich!

I ate very very well today.

Holy crap, that sounds good....

Flashaholic*

Originally Posted by Kestrel
    Speaking as a retired part-time bicycle racer (only Cat 3), I would suggest having Marylou enter the Tour De France. The best world-class cyclists can deliver approximately 250 watts, so if she can pedal over twice that - all I can say is, Look out Floyd Landis!

Marylou uses my old road bike because my track bike was fixed wheel and she didn't like it ... Marylou's bike has a made to measure JRJ frame in the old Reynolds 531 tubing and is fitted with a 46/50 TA double clanger and 14 , 16 , 18 , 20 , 22 Campag gears plus Cinelli hubs and other goodies , though I had to remove the Mafak racing brakes as they slowed her down ... She is slow to build up speed as the flywheel on the generator takes a bit of getting up to speed , but nevertheless she does a good job of powering my electrics ... I am considering the option of lowering the gearing , but TA and Campag stuff is not easy to find in the Amazon due to lack of roads.

Since she is built like a horse , Marylou is therefore equivalent of 746 watts ... She is also an international Breadfruit and Yam tree climber (which means I have also mentioned foodstuffs on this post).

Luckily her twin sister Frederick (don't ask) acts as relief rider and is of similar build ... She is the local champion Pineapple planter too.

We will have to find a better way of producing electricity as when I switched the kettle on , the generator stalled and threw poor Marylou into the hen-hut ... Luckily.the chickens were unarmed.

Life goes on as usual , though Marylou now pedals with a limp.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by guiri View Post
    Mild or normal if that's possible. Don't want me poopin' my pants do you?

March is at the right age for poopin' his pants but I'm still a little too young (I think)
    It's never too late to start (or should that be early).

Quote Originally Posted by guiri View Post
    Nah, he's just hiding...

Not really a problem. THey're really only looking for FRESH produce and meat. Canned stuff like chutney shouldn't be a problem.
    Same applies to me, lemme know and I'll send payment or if it's ok with nbp, send it to him and he can send it to me so you don't have to spend
    your vacation time at the post office and I'll just send him the bucks...

Holy crap, that sounds good....
    Did you see DM's new Sigline?

Yeah, we can work something out with the chutney. Does USPS deliver to your backwoods hick state?

Wait, did you really think it sounded good? Why the sick face?

Did you see DM's new Sigline?
    The Borg one?

Yeah, we can work something out with the chutney. Does USPS deliver to your backwoods hick state?
    Yep, there's a horse drawn carriage that passes by once a week but since it's cool outside, it shouldn't be a problem..

Wait, did you really think it sounded good? Why the sick face?
    'cause it takes me sick that yall eat all this good food every day

It's never too late to start (or should that be early).
    This is true. Practice makes perfect..

Marylou uses my old road bike because my track bike was fixed wheel and she didn't like it ... Marylou's bike has a made to measure JRJ frame in the old Reynolds 531 tubing and is fitted with a 46/50 TA double clanger and 14 , 16 , 18 , 20 , 22 Campag gears plus Cinelli hubs and other goodies , though I had to remove the Mafak racing brakes as they slowed her down ... She is slow to build up speed as the flywheel on the generator takes a bit of getting up to speed , but nevertheless she does a good job of powering my electrics ... I am considering the option of lowering the gearing , but TA and Campag stuff is not easy to find in the Amazon due to lack of roads.

Since she is built like a horse , Marylou is therefore equivalent of 746 watts ... She is also an international Breadfruit and Yam tree climber (which means I have also mentioned foodstuffs on this post).

Luckily her twin sister Frederick (don't ask) acts as relief rider and is of similar build ... She is the local champion Pineapple planter too.

We will have to find a better way of producing electricity as when I switched the kettle on , the generator stalled and threw poor Marylou into the hen-hut ... Luckily.the chickens were unarmed.

Life goes on as usual , though Marylou now pedals with a limp.
    Poor little Marylou...I have a nice gel seat (unused of course) I can send her which should at least make her a little more comfortable...you're a hard man March Brown

Guys, I was just surfing (for EDIBLE things!!) and happened to find this and thought I'd post it.
    Cool looking house and cool inside. It would be a cool place to stay in on vacation.
    Not sure about the 50m to the beach claim but anyway...

Oh and just to make sure I don't get violated by Kestrel, I think I see some olive trees in the background

http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p840643

Update, I just read the text on the page and apparently, there were not only olive trees but also fig trees...
    There are also many food related words on that page....I'm thinking I'm good here..
    Last edited by guiri; 12-19-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Flashaholic*
    below polar circle.. in country which used to make nokia phones.

tried to figure out where the cottage is.. had to read all the way down to find one place i have heard of to realise its in Greece. sorry that i didnt recocnize it from "monemvassia", "asopos", "laconian gulf" or "taygetos mountain".. it took me to "pireus" and "creta" to get some info where it is.. then the "athens" made it certain.. one place they say 50m to beach.. in pictures they mention 100m.. and it looks like its more than 200m actual trek before reaching the water.

anyways.. kinda neat little cottage.

you know what word cottage reminds me of.. cottage cheese! ha! (guiri missed this foodrelated easy pick for food related stuff and reached out for the figs and olives) hahhah
    *MaKiNG SeNSe iS NOT My PRioRiTy* *One is None, Two is One, But Butter is Better*
    *Flashaholism: DeeP DaRK HoLe im falling into, glad that I have my flashlights to light the way.*

Flashaholic*

tried to figure out where the cottage is.. had to read all the way down to find one place i have heard of to realise its in Greece. sorry that i didnt recocnize it from "monemvassia", "asopos", "laconian gulf" or "taygetos mountain".. it took me to "pireus" and "creta" to get some info where it is.. then the "athens" made it certain.. one place they say 50m to beach.. in pictures they mention 100m.. and it looks like its more than 200m actual trek before reaching the water.

anyways.. kinda neat little cottage.

you know what word cottage reminds me of.. cottage cheese! ha! (guiri missed this foodrelated easy pick for food related stuff and reached out for the figs and olives) hahhah
    Nah , it's obviously Greek as in Greek Yoghurt and Greek Salad with Feta Cheese.

p.s ... If they can make Grapes and Oranges seedless , why can't they make olives seedless too (or pipless) ... All the oil would be virgin olive oil as there would be no pips to grow into trees ... The fruit would be sterile , so obviously the oil would have to be virgin olive oil ... Not a lot of people know that.

I'm but a man....

Nah , it's obviously Greek as in Greek Yoghurt and Greek Salad with Feta Cheese.

p.s ... If they can make Grapes and Oranges seedless , why can't they make olives seedless too (or pipless) ... All the oil would be virgin olive oil as there would be no pips to grow into trees ... The fruit would be sterile , so obviously the oil would have to be virgin olive oil ... Not a lot of people know that.
    This is what I like about this thread, there's sooo much to learn.

By the way, Bulgarians make the best Yoghurt AND Feta cheese...check this out..

" Stamen Grigorov (1878–1945), a Bulgarian student of medicine in Geneva, first examined the microflora of the Bulgarian yogurt. In 1905, he described it as consisting of a spherical and a rod-like lactic acid bacteria. In 1907, the rod-like bacterium was called Lactobacillus bulgaricus (now Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus). The Russian Nobel laureate biologist Ilya Ilyich Mechnikov (also seen as Élie Metchnikoff), from the Institut Pasteur in Paris, was influenced by Grigorov's work and hypothesized that regular consumption of yogurt was responsible for the unusually long lifespans of Bulgarian peasants. Believing Lactobacillus to be essential for good health, Mechnikov worked to popularize yogurt as a foodstuff throughout Europe."

The greeks can kiss my Bulgarian butt

The yoghurt thingie on the right (tarator) is one of my favorite dishes. Nothing but yoghurt, salt and garlic and you can add dill if you'd like. I can't stop eating this stuff
    once I start... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgarian_cuisine

Flashaholic*
    below polar circle.. in country which used to make nokia phones.

today:
    carelian stew (chopped up cow meat, carrots, shallot onion (yes just one! lol) water, salt and black pepper) with mashed potatoes.. (yuuummmyy!)

how bout them mashed potatoes.. how you guys do them? me.. boil. peel. (often i peel before) add loads of butter and some whole milk (maybe even cream) and then keep mashing them with wooden dowel (consistency and therefore taste is different if you use a some electric hand blender/mixer or one of those metallic mashers that have holes in it). rarely i might add some of the boiling water into the mix instead of milk (butter goes in every time).. work on them until all is mixed up and the consistency is "right" so just slowly keep add butter and milk if too stiff stuff..

why i mention this.. as i heard that some people in other countries think that mashed potatoes is just boiled potatoes mashed into pulp.. just dry potatoe. others mash with boiling water only. others with milk or cream. etc.. so how you do yours if you do some?

----

yoghurt on my case.. nver really got into it.. althou.. every time i try it.. i end up eating all of it. and get some more too. then have a craving for yoghurt for few days.. then its over.. i can go a year without one. until someone kinda forces me to have some..
    *MaKiNG SeNSe iS NOT My PRioRiTy* *One is None, Two is One, But Butter is Better*
    *Flashaholism: DeeP DaRK HoLe im falling into, glad that I have my flashlights to light the way.*

One shallot? What the hell? Is that just to tease the stew?

I like my mashed taters the way you do them and I also like mine with lumps in them

I LOVE mashed potatoes!

As for yoghurt, I like it in all forms but none of that low fat, non fat, light junk they sell around here.
    Has got to be the full fat stuff. Matter of fact, I make my own sometimes. Full of cream 'n stuff and
    so damn thick you can cut it with a knife

Nonsence, you are funny. I like how you think, it's entertaining reading your posts here and in the "best man" thread.

Definitely plenty of butter and milk in mashed potatoes, so that you can sort of "whip" them up nice and smooth and creamy. I don't mind chunky mashed potatoes, but either way butter and milk is a must.

Have you tried cooking for your girl? (We really need to assign her a name, it feels undignified to just call her 'girl'. I have no idea what a stereotypical Finnish women's name is though. Off to google I go, I'll find a good one, to preserve her anonymity and protect the innocent, of course. ) Anyways, my understanding is that women like a man who can do stuff, like cook. (I'm sure march will be around soon to correct me and claim it was his bad cooking that repelled his first 6 wives or some such thing. Heheh) It sounds like you can find your way around the kitchen. Might be worth a try. ??

Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123456789101353 ... LastLast