Olympia Products

Thread: Photo reviews 2 Coleman lanterns. "Easy Hanging" and "High Tech"

Default Photo reviews 2 Coleman lanterns. "Easy Hanging" and "High Tech"

2 lanterns just joined my collection

The Easy Hanging: from Amazon at A$37.95. I didn't give the local Coleman a chance (or is it the greedy Aussie retailers) at A$90
    - 2 modes 200 lumen (65 hrs) and 80 lumen (155 hrs)
    - Uses 4 D cell
    - Very sturdy, high quality

The High Tech: redeemed from my credit card company
    - Max 190 lumen (25 hrs) with dimmer knob (7 levels) down to minimum of 10 lumen (300 hrs)
    - Uses 4 D cell or the CPX 6 (Coleman 6V SLA battery pack)
    - A bit bigger. Not as solid as the Easy Hanging

Not sure why the runtimes differ. Maybe different driver and LED?

The black part is rubberised on the Easy Hanging and just hard plastic on the High Tech

Battery holder is very well built and appear to last

There is a dent on one side so it will fit in the lantern one way only

This will be quite hard to load correctly in the dark as the markings are deep inside and all contact points on the bottom are spring loaded
    (unlike the conventional way of flat plate for positive and spring loaded for negative)

The line up including the once famous Osram Golden Dragon, The Favourlight 3xD (200 lumens now - used to be claimed 300 lumens), the FavourLight 6xD (300 lumens now, used to be 400 lumens)

The party will joined by the Sunwayman M40A XM-L and Mag 2D with Fusion 36 drop-in for ceiling bounce shots

Another angle showing the Fusion shower head in the Mag
    Last edited by NickBose; 12-18-2011 at 01:37 AM.

Default Re: Photo reviews 2 Coleman lanterns. "Easy Hanging" and "High Tech"

Beamshots taken at f/1.8 1/20 sec ISO 200

2D Mag with Fusion 36 drop-in

Sunwayman M40A XM-L 600lumen
    This is THE best 4xAA currently available. But it's sad that the spill (at least in my light) is very purple. The hotspot on the other hand is perfectly white.
    I think the problem is the reflector. In the last photo in first post you can see the purple tinge on the reflector.

Osram Golden Dragon High

Osram Golden Dragon Low

FavourLight 3xD High

FavourLight 3xD Low

FavourLight 6xD Max

FavourLight 6xD Min

Coleman Easy Hanging High

Coleman Easy Hanging Low

Coleman High Tech Max

Coleman High Tech Min

Coleman High Tech Med (about level 4 on the knob)

All big three in their glory - a combination of nearly 700 lumens

Under-exposure

Further under-exposure

And further

Probably I should take one under-exposure shot with the exposed FavourLight 6xD (no diffuser)
    As inside there is a dome which can be considered the same as the Coleman tube-shaped diffuser.
    I'll do it when I have time.
    Last edited by NickBose; 12-16-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Darn! There's a puddle of anticipatory beamshot saliva all over the floor!

How do you change modes on the smaller/sturdier one?

I hope you don't have to cycle through modes.
    Last edited by LEDAdd1ct; 12-15-2011 at 10:28 PM.
    "...and the diode multiplied and grew in brightness. And God saw that it was good."

The Easy Hanging has 2 modes only, just like the FavourLight 3xD.
    First press will be High, another press will make it Low and another press to turn off.

Is it similar to the Favourlight UI in that:

1) First press goes to high
    2) Second press to low
    3) Third press to turn off

and

1) First press to high
    2) Wait several seconds
    3) Second press directly to off?

Or, must you always pass through low each time?

Favourlight UI has three modes. Depress button and hold for flashing is Number Three.
    Last edited by LEDAdd1ct; 12-16-2011 at 05:29 PM.
    "...and the diode multiplied and grew in brightness. And God saw that it was good."

I see what you means.

Although I have used the Easy Hanging for only about 5 minutes, it seems you have to go through the Low every time before turning it off. And it also doesn't have the Flashing mode.

The Favourlight 3xD UI is indeed very useful.

Yes, it is my favorite. And the UI isn't endemic to that model:

The Favourlight mini lantern in my Disambiguation Guide shares the identical UI. It is a Favourlight hallmark.

They should of course call it the Coleman Well Hung.

The quality of LED lanterns has really improved over the last few years, they have such smooth beams now. Good to see a lantern review, they're pretty rare; feel free to do more.

Your images are huge please resize.
    See Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Norm

I have the Easy Hang, very pleased with it.

From this thread Current best LED lantern?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I'm very happy with the Coleman CPX 6 LED Work Lantern

Here in Australia it comes with the rechargeable (lead acid) battery pack and an empty pack for D cells, I have plenty of Nimh D's and I prefer the Nimh to the lead acid pack. The Lead Acid pack is only 2.2Ah and the Nimh D's I have are old but still test at just over 6Ah.
    Norm
    Norm

I want the FavourLight 4xAA 185 lumens for comparison but find the price too expensive (around A$40 shipped) comparing to other lanterns. I will wait for a sale or when the Aussie dollar gets stronger.

Images were resized as requested.

I also have theColeman CPX 6 LED Work Lantern

It is pretty awesome but tint is kinda blue.

I wanted to swap the emitter. The voltage input is 6V. Does anybody know what the Drive current to the LED is or if swamping an XM-L there will work?

Thanks,
    bigC
    Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 simple, bright, efficient.

I got the 190 lumen Coleman Rugged Lantern with the CPX 6 rechargeable battery for $27 at Target about a week ago. Most likely, runtime will be the same as the 190 lumen High Tech lantern on high. Listed runtimes for the rechargeable battery are the same. Mine started really dimming a lot at around 4 hours or a little sooner. With a 2600 mAh battery, I'd say that my light and the High Tech light are running at about 700 mAh. At 190 lumens, they are most likely using Cree XP-E l.e.d.s. Not the very best l.e.d.s, but decent. I was tempted to get the 325 lumen Coleman lantern with a Cree XM-L, but decided on getting the $25 battery pack with the $25 lantern for $2 instead. No regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    I got the 190 lumen Coleman Rugged Lantern with the CPX 6 rechargeable battery for $27 at Target about a week ago. Most likely, runtime will be the same as the 190 lumen High Tech lantern on high. Listed runtimes for the rechargeable battery are the same. Mine started really dimming a lot at around 4 hours or a little sooner. With a 2600 mAh battery, I'd say that my light and the High Tech light are running at about 700 mAh. At 190 lumens, they are most likely using Cree XP-E l.e.d.s. Not the very best l.e.d.s, but decent. I was tempted to get the 325 lumen Coleman lantern with a Cree XM-L, but decided on getting the $25 battery pack with the $25 lantern for $2 instead. No regrets.
    Coleman has a lantern with a Cree XM-L? Link please!

Also, exactly which lantern did you get? I don't see a rugged one with CPX6. There's one with XPS6 which is the older model of the battery pack. Please provide a link to the product on Coleman's website.

Quote Originally Posted by LanternLover View Post
    Coleman has a lantern with a Cree XM-L? Link please!

Also, exactly which lantern did you get? I don't see a rugged one with CPX6. There's one with XPS6 which is the older model of the battery pack. Please provide a link to the product on Coleman's website.
    Coleman CPX 6 XL l.e.d. lantern: Rugged or Classic:http://www.coleman.com/Products/1040...power-exchange
    Those are the ones with the Cree XM-L

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    Coleman CPX 6 XL l.e.d. lantern: Rugged or Classic:www.coleman.com/Products/10400/cpx-coleman-power-exchange
    Those are the ones with the Cree XM-L
    I do not see any mention of an XM-L LED in their description. They use Cree LEDs, but probably the older ones. What makes you think they use the XM-L series?

Quote Originally Posted by LanternLover View Post
    I do not see any mention of an XM-L LED in their description. They use Cree LEDs, but probably the older ones. What makes you think they use the XM-L series?
    I have seen them in the local Targets. They use one Cree l.e.d.. 350 lumens is really pushing it for long term use in a lantern for an XP-G. Runtimes listed were decent. What other l.e.d. could they be using?

Where are you located and when and how much did you pay for that 6D Basecamp Lantern? I checked their website and there is a 6D lantern they have that looks like a perfect host to mod, the PLN0C6D002. But Google doesn't come up with anything about price or availability. Neither does their website.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCT View Post
    Where are you located and when and how much did you pay for that 6D Basecamp Lantern? I checked their website and there is a 6D lantern they have that looks like a perfect host to mod, the PLN0C6D002. But Google doesn't come up with anything about price or availability. Neither does their website.
    See my show and tell post here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post3610823

It's now a bit more expensive on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-2640040...ds=led+lantern

It's now probably rated at a bit more than 300 lumens by Favourlight, not 400 anymore. And the popular 300 lumen version is now 240 ANSI lumen. The new rating is more accurate I think.
    Last edited by NickBose; 10-08-2012 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NickBose View Post
    Battery holder is very well built and appear to last
    Hello. New member here so take it easy on me. I looked for answers to my questions and couldn't find anything so I hope this will be OK here.

I bought one of the Coleman lanterns that uses these interchangeable battery packs. The one I bought came with the rechargeable battery. On the box, it said the 4 D cell holder is sold separately. I just took their word for it and went happily home with my new toy.

Then I decided to look online and see how much the D cell battery holder costs and found that Coleman's web site has it listed as out of stock. I did a Google search and it's listed as out of stock everywhere. I'm thinking this is a bad sign? Or did they just get swamped with orders because of the hurricane or something?

I sent a mail to Coleman a few days ago asking them about it but haven't heard anything yet. I really don't want to have to return this lantern because I really like it. I just don't think I want to have to rely on the SLA battery in case of an emergency. D batteries are more reliable

Anyone have any idea what's going on with these power packs? Have you seen them in any B&M stores? They had plenty of the rechargeable batteries for these lanterns but none of these D cell holders.

picklenose

I'd also be interested in the answer, I have two Easy Hang lanterns, one bought here in Australia and one bought in the US via Amazon.
    The Australian version came with both the rechargeable and D cell Pack, the US version came with only the D cell pack.

I do not like the rechargeable pack as it contains a 2.2Ah gel cell far less capacity than you have from any style of D cell, I prefer the D cell pack as I have quite a few old Nimh cells all test around 5Ah giving me far greater run time.

I've also tried unsuccessfully to purchase D packs.

Norm

picklenose

I'd also be interested in the answer, I have two Easy Hang lanterns, one bought here in Australia and one bought in the US via Amazon.
    The Australian version came with both the rechargeable and D cell Pack, the US version came with only the D cell pack.

I've also tried unsuccessfully to purchase D packs.

Norm
    Hi Norm and thanks for the welcome.

Do you know how long these D packs have been unavailable? It would be a lot less concerning if I knew it was a temporary thing. I could probably find another Coleman model that comes with the D pack and then just buy the rechargeable one. I just don't want to do that because I like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by picklenose View Post
    Do you know how long these D packs have been unavailable?
    Sorry I don't, all I know is that after buying the first Easy Hang I went looking for a spare pack and was unable to find them.
    I was last looking about a year ago.

Norm

The other possibility is to buy another D cell lantern second-hand. That might actually be cheaper and easier than buying the pack separately.

Sorry I don't, all I know is that after buying the first Easy Hang I went looking for a spare pack and was unable to find them.
    I was last looking about a year ago.

Norm
    Just wanted to let you know that I just received a reply from Coleman. They say they will have these back in stock in February of next year. They did not say what the cause of the delay is but at least we know they will be getting more. I ended up buying a second Coleman lantern that came with the battery holder. I don't mind too much. Now I have a spare lantern.

Good to hear.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.