Olight
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A "copy" ???

Default Re: A "copy" ???

In order to copy something down to the exact dimensions one would have to get either an actual spy or the detailed drawings of one. Being that the driver specs, LED, and its features are publically avalable on CPF it is plausible to consider the possibly that it was created by someone on CPF and closed it down immediately after being detected. Its easy to close down a website, but most companies won't go that far that quickly unless something far more immediate is troubling them.

Flashaholic*

I looked up the Zip20 on google but only found one other thread. I dont' think this is the last we'll see of it, it's just being kept under wraps. I agree with Illum that someone took the specs from CPF and made a copy. The bezel, knob, body and tc are nearly identical to the 007 with slight design variations.

In the meantime I'll look for another light "as a slap-up present."
    Funniest CPF thread ever. I promise it'll make your day.

Quote Originally Posted by Illum View Post
    Its easy to close down a website, but most companies won't go that far that quickly unless something far more immediate is troubling them.
    Illum,
    The website is still there. It is just that Product ID#42 page that no longer exists. I am sure that they still have it, just not on the frontend of that server for http)//niteyelight(.)com. Does anyone know how long it was up? I was just wondering because if there is no web cache of that page anywhere, it must not have been up for very long.
    GL

No way in haities will it do evrything the real deal does. The 4 banks of power settings is just great!!!
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

Finally the fake is available at hkequipment.net and they even offer a discount for CPF members
    (but it's not listed in the Niteye website...)

What a rip off, Looks like crap.

It does definitely look cheapened, not like that's any big surprise. I can't help noticing the whole thing costs just a bit more than the stonewashing treatment for a real SPY, though.

Looks horrendously sh*tty. And for a knockoff it's extremely expensive.

It's basically garbage if you ask me
    I'm Ryan.

Well it is said that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery - but this imitation sux. A small consolation is that most flashaholics that would pay almost $500 for a light probably are already familiar with the real thing. There may be a few who will buy this abomination, but I'm hoping most won't.

I'll never buy another Niteye light. And never is a long time.
    EDIT - make that Niteye, Nitecore and Jetbeam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by run4jc; 07-30-2012 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    Even bought my first one...

Niteye sucks.
    -Gene Malkoff

Flashaholic

Does JetBeam and Niteye have the same owner? It appears from this that they are associated with one another. If so will you be boycotting them as well?

On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place where the bad drivers are.

Quote Originally Posted by bla2000 View Post
    Does JetBeam and Niteye have the same owner? It appears from this that they are associated with one another. If so will you be boycotting them as well?
    Strange...I thought jetbeam and NITECORE were related...not niteye

Not that I was planning on buying a Niteye ....... but after reading this i'm done with JetBeam products as well
    My Lights__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by dc38 View Post
    Strange...I thought jetbeam and NITECORE were related...not niteye
    It appears that Sysmax owns the both JetBeam and Nitecore as shown here. In combination with the link that Shado provided then you may have to consider avoiding JetBeam, Nitecore, and Niteye.

It's the same shop, hkequipment.

Such a shame. Nitecore/Niteye/Jetbeam really do make some wonderful lights.

Been on a Chinese forum and using bing translator I came across this video where they show the light at the 3:08 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCrVriVx49g

pisses me off.

Flashaholic*

You guys are going to think I'm looney tunes for saying this, but I don't think it looks half bad. Would I pay 470 bones for one? For that much money I'd rather have the real thing. Add Cool Fall's amazing customer service and the SPY speaks for itself. The 007 is the prototype. Everything else is just an imitation.
    Funniest CPF thread ever. I promise it'll make your day.

Quote Originally Posted by chipwillis View Post
    Been on a Chinese forum and using bing translator I came across this video where they show the light at the 3:08 minute mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCrVriVx49g
    pisses me off.
    I Noticed that there is a batttery condition led. Does the Spy 07 have one?
    GL

Quote Originally Posted by chipwillis View Post
    Been on a Chinese forum and using bing translator I came across this video where they show the light at the 3:08 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCrVriVx49g

pisses me off.
    It is truly upsetting to see someone's hard work stolen for profit and I wish there was a way to stop it. I hate to say it, but I think this light is going to sell well, or at least better than everyone here is projecting. On a completely different note, that is an absolutely beautiful video, documenting modern manufacturing processes of a flashlight from bar stock to finished product.

Someone said there's no way the ZIP20 does all the same stuff as the original. Honestly, I don't think that's a huge loss by itself. In the two years I owned my SPY Tri-V, I never once attempted to program the light or switch between "banks" of settings. If the ZIP20 has a useful selection of well-spaced settings and a reasonably efficient driver, I think that's all most people will care about.

On the one hand, this is Dave's design and it got ripped off, which sucks. On the other hand, people who buy the ZIP20 probably wouldn't have considered buying a SPY, because of the massive difference in price and functionality -- not to mention the risk involved with using such an expensive light. When I had my Tri-V, I could barely stand to take it out of the house for fear I'd ruin its resale value by dropping it. For the price of a SPY, someone could buy a ZIP20, and a spare, and have money left over to buy their SO a present too. The difference in price is so large I just don't think there's any market overlap at all. The only real offense is that Dave isn't getting any royalties.

I won't be getting one, because it doesn't have a pocket clip. But for less than half the price of the genuine article, I can see plenty of flashaholics buying this on the down-low so they can appreciate some variation of Dave's design. If anyone is tempted to buy a ZIP20, perhaps they could set aside some funds to send to Dave as a thank-you for developing the SPY design.

Also...if anyone is outraged to the point of wanting to get rid of their Jetbeam TC-R2, send me a PM. I'll be glad to buy it from you.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 07-29-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Unfortunately there will be purchasers of the copy who have never heard of or seen the original.

Norm

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Got Lumens? View Post
    I Noticed that there is a batttery condition led. Does the Spy 07 have one?
    GL
    No. The 007 does not have an battery indicator led.

Oh dear, I wonder when the Gunner-Grip Zip20s are coming out.
    From the pictures in the video, it doesn't look nearly as beautifully finished as the original and IMO the indicator light cheapens the appearance further.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

XP-G 007 has a battery voltage reporting feature as one of the power-ups. Fyrstormer, if I had a TC-R2, I'd send it to you. Shame that there is such a blatant ripoff out there, from such a large company. They do plenty of business on their own merits. Round tube flashlights are hard enough to be original with regard to form factor and design, but everyone manages. Dave didn't invent side-by-side 123 lights, but the blatant theft of the asthetics of his design is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by bla2000 View Post

Yes. And Yes. Not even hinting or suggesting that anyone else do the same - it's a personal choice for me.

Norm is right, some who purchase this light will never know of the original...and that's the real shame here. The 007 is the result of, IMHO, true creative genius. Even if you forget the programming, the simple yet intricate levels of detail in the original are clearly the result of high levels of creativity and the skills to carry the ideas through to fruition. Anyone who has read my "Ode" knows of my appreciation for the 007. It's become the only light I carry.

And if the design isn't protected by any trademarks, patents or whatever, then I suppose that any manufacturer who is willing to plagiarize (I know, not necessarily grammatically correct - but it makes the point) the design and has the wherewithal to do so CAN do so.

But personally somehow this one made something 'click' deep down inside, and I will base many future buying decisions (or decisions NOT to buy) based on the apparent decision by this company to copy. If ONLY they had ACKNOWLEDGED that their idea for the design for this light came from where we ALL believe it came from, we might instead be marveling at the fact that another manufacturer could offer something similar. Or not. Who knows.

Sorry - I'll say no more on this topic.
    Last edited by run4jc; 07-30-2012 at 04:00 AM.

Plenty of knife manufacturers get permission from emerson to use the "Wave" feature on their knife.

If I'm not mistaken, didnt NiteCore gave Don (McGizmo) royalties for the "PD" in the D10/EX10?

So if NiteCore is partners with Niteye...

Either way, I've never had a Niteye or a Jetbeam. Ive had a few Nitecores....
    -Gene Malkoff

Yes. And Yes. Not even hinting or suggesting that anyone else do the same - it's a personal choice for me.

Norm is right, some who purchase this light will never know of the original...and that's the real shame here. The 007 is the result of, IMHO, true creative genius. Even if you forget the programming, the simple yet intricate levels of detail in the original are clearly the result of high levels of creativity and the skills to carry the ideas through to fruition. Anyone who has read my "Ode" knows of my appreciation for the 007. It's become the only light I carry.

And if the design isn't protected by any trademarks, patents or whatever, then I suppose that any manufacturer who is willing to plagiarize (I know, not necessarily grammatically correct - but it makes the point) the design and has the wherewithal to do so CAN do so.

But personally somehow this one made something 'click' deep down inside, and I will base many future buying decisions (or decisions NOT to buy) based on the apparent decision by this company to copy. If ONLY they had ACKNOWLEDGED that their idea for the design for this light came from where we ALL believe it came from, we might instead be marveling at the fact that another manufacturer could offer something similar. Or not. Who knows.

Sorry - I'll say no more on this topic.
    Unfortunately this isn't the first example of blatant plagiarism of Dave's ideas.

Remember Dave's databank70?

47s saw it at the original SHOT show I believe and years later 47s came out with his XM18

AFAIK, I don't believe that 47s gave any acknowlegement to Data (Dave) for his original concept.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Angry Re: A "copy" ???

Here we, Sysmax Ind (NITECORE & JETBeam) seriously declare that, we are NOT the same company with Niteye. As a famous flashlight manufacturer and a proud member of PLATO, we feel shame on Niteye for its imitation of Spy007 and copy our selector ring patent. We strongly condemn such behaviors!

Sysmax respects Intellectual Property rights as it always does. In our previous Smart PD series products which adopted McGizmo’s PD design, we paid its fee to McGizmo(Mr.Don) for the patent.
    Last edited by Sysmax Ind.; 07-30-2012 at 06:38 AM.