RED led wf-501B WITH ASPHERIC LENS

lukeyn

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I started being interested in flashlights due to my hunting addiction. First post so don't flame me too bad.

We have been using this primos scope mount hunting light but you have to carry arround an extra battery pack attached to the gun by a cord. It sucks.

So I want a red LED hunting light without the cords and without the hassle. I have been talking to PACECAR on another forum and he suggested I use the red WF-501b on deal extreme with the aspheric lens. Do you believe this will light up reflective objects at 250+yards?
If not what about Brinyte BR01 and possibly adding an aspheric lens to this?

Thanks,

Blitzwing

Enlightened
Re: RED led wf-501B WITH ASPHERIC LENS (attention blitzwing)

Hi mate. I have a Solarforce L2 with the red Solarforce dropin, smooth reflector and DX aspheric lens. It will not illuminate game at 250 yards. I feel that about half that is realistic. The red emitter just doesn't put out enough lumens. It will certainly make eyes twinkle at 250 yards though. In fact the red light seems to light up animal eyes better than a regular white emitter.

lukeyn

Newly Enlightened

I purchased a ultrafire c8 with smooth reflector and red led for identifying game and scanning, but the 501b will be mounted on the gun for shooting so eyes are all I need :)

Mike_TX

Enlightened

Like Blitzwing, I think 250 yd is optimistic. Red emitters generally don't produce as much "visible" light, since our eyes don't resolve that wavelength as well as some others. So you won't light up as much real estate as with a white emitter. Also keep in mind beam spread is a factor at that distance, so the light tends to dissipate.

lukeyn

Newly Enlightened

my main concern is just seeing eyes at a distance. I can decipher whether to shoot it or not after it comes in a little ways.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Like Blitzwing, I think 250 yd is optimistic. Red emitters generally don't produce as much "visible" light, since our eyes don't resolve that wavelength as well as some others. So you won't light up as much real estate as with a white emitter. Also keep in mind beam spread is a factor at that distance, so the light tends to dissipate.

Tell that to the t--t that goes hunting rabbits at 1 am in the field next to me,his red light is more like a searchlight,he is a real pain in the butt.I just call the police and say have men with guns around and they are there in no time*:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Mike_TX

Enlightened

Tell that to the t--t that goes hunting rabbits at 1 am in the field next to me,his red light is more like a searchlight,he is a real pain in the butt.I just call the police and say have men with guns around and they are there in no time*:thumbsup:

I'll wager that "searchlight" isn't a 501-B with a red P60 dropin! ;)

lukeyn

Newly Enlightened

So does anyone have.some beamshots

Blitzwing

Enlightened

Red Solarforce dropin with regular lens and SMO.

P1000744.jpg

Same but with DX28mm aspheric.

P1000747.jpg

REgular single mode XR-E and SMO.

P1000743.jpg

Same but with 28mm DX aspheric.

P1000748.jpg

Wall is about 4 feet away.

lukeyn

Newly Enlightened

looks like a very bright light, Thanks alot Blitzwing.

Blitzwing

Enlightened

No worries mate. It's not bad, but really about 100 metres sees it out IMO.

lukeyn

Newly Enlightened

Right now I am using the x2000 with red celaphane over the led so this has to be an improvement/

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened

For serious red led performance check out the Luminus leds. Have built on the PT54 red. Search on here and the net. Plenty of info.