Recommend me a good light - I've looked so much my eyes are crossed.

Firescooby

Newly Enlightened
Right now I am carrying a Terralux 220. It is attached to my radio strap (career firefighter). I would prefer something with similar dimensions (6" long and 1" diameter).

I want of course AS MANY lumens as possible. I use my light several times/ shift and need it to be reliable, dependable, and VERY bright!!

I don't want to spend a fortune, but don't mind spending money on quality.

Thanks in advance!!

CMAG

Enlightened
Reliable in 2xAA configuration IMO Surefire but high $$$$ or Mcgizmo very high $$$$
HDS systems EDC are very good (many here will say the best edc) but you will have to go to CR123 battery's (but used daily a charger and battery's is a good investment, or primary's can be used)
If you go with 18650 cells recharge only you will open your options to brighter lights and get the best bang (volts and amp hours) for your $$.
In the 18650 class I would say Mac customs new XM-L lights are over 700 LM VERY bright for size
There are lot's of good and not so good made in china lights that are much cheaper but none I would suggest
One other option but a twisty (two hands needed to turn on/off may not be good for your situation) is a Malakoff Little twisty 2xAA

Itinifni

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps if you mention the failings of the 220 it would help. You did say the general size is preferable are you looking for more throw, more flood, more durability, more modes?
Most of my lights use the more common battery sizes (AA, AAA or D) just because I've built up a generous supply of NiMH cells in those sizes and can always fall back on Alks if needed.

Firescooby

Newly Enlightened
I don't really have any gripes about the 220, just want more throw.

I am thinking that stepping up the the 18650 might be a must. On the price front, not wanting to spend too much because this has the chance of getting left behind should the SHTF.

Dougcov

Newly Enlightened
surefire 6px, 200lm, 123 battery, great quality, two modes - around $100.00

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
How far do you need the throw?
Also a tighter hotspot is better for smoke filled areas, but you need to let us know what your needs are.
For throw I would look at lights with a XPG R5 LED
For decent throw, and great spill the XML LED is better.
18650 battery lights will give you a better range to choose from.
I don't really have any gripes about the 220, just want more throw.

I am thinking that stepping up the the 18650 might be a must. On the price front, not wanting to spend too much because this has the chance of getting left behind should the SHTF.

Firescooby

Newly Enlightened
How far do you need the throw?
Also a tighter hotspot is better for smoke filled areas, but you need to let us know what your needs are.
For throw I would look at lights with a XPG R5 LED
For decent throw, and great spill the XML LED is better.
18650 battery lights will give you a better range to choose from.

The farther the throw the better. I won't be using this much for use in fire (ANY flashlight sucks in smoke and makes vision worse). This is mainly used outside for spotting addresses, hydrants from 300-500' away, powerlines, etc

I want something with at least 400+ lumens or I'll just stick with my 220.

Thanks

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using Jetbeam II M R5, and it has great throw with 355 lumens. I also have been looking to get the Jetbeam BC-25 for a less expensive alternative plus extra brightness at 650 lumens, but drops to 430 lumens after 5 minutes with a low of 100 lumens.

aimxplode

Enlightened
The farther the throw the better. I won't be using this much for use in fire (ANY flashlight sucks in smoke and makes vision worse). This is mainly used outside for spotting addresses, hydrants from 300-500' away, powerlines, etc

I want something with at least 400+ lumens or I'll just stick with my 220.

Thanks

Armytek Predator. This is one of the best XP-G throwers and is solidly built.

Armytek durability test:

iDub

Newly Enlightened
Uh.... did you try the EagleTac T20-C2 yet? 720 lumens, 1 18650/ 2 CR123A. Pocket clip, MANY add-ons INCLUDED with the light, and pretty damn durable!