Best & Brightest Tactical Light?

RCLumens

Enlightened
And when I say brightest I mean both spill & Throw - however for those who are familiar with the Zebralight SC600 - I'm definitely looking for more throw than that! However an Aspherical lens with pinpoint hot spot is a no-go. Tactical switch is a big plus, however not a must. Single 18650 2x cr123 size light. Also, I'm really waiting to hear some reviews on the Sunwayman T20CS - but size, shape and 'stated' output look good, along with interface - no we'll have to see how it really performs. Anyway - advance thanks to CPF members input on this one - I;m sure there will be a lot of eyes. So those who are in the know - please let me know.

Cheers,
RC

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Get a Vihnyguyen54 (Prolly spelled that wrong) Direct drive U2 XML P60 drop in, runs on a single IMR, sick bright. Hangs with 1600L quads I own. Need a bored 6P, or a solarforce, wrap it tight with foil.

RCLumens

Enlightened
Many thanks PSM! What's the runtime on something wrapped with foil? 1600L sounds great in a compact size - but I need at lest an hour at full power. So 800l would be great as well. Need somthing around 220Yds. Cheers - RC

Tommygun45

Enlightened
What about a Malkoff Hounddog XML. You can get a smaller MD2 body and use one 2900MAH 18650 or get an MD4 body and use 2 batteries for more run time. Things a beast. I think PSM used to have one or two of them.

joe1512

Enlightened
You will definitely want an XM-L emitter as this will give you a high potential max lumens, along with solid runtime efficiency and a good low mode.

There are several good options. Id go to goinggear, flashlight, 1x18650, XM-L emitter, and browse all the various choices that you have.

Some cheaper options may be found at shiningbeam.... Romisen makes decent lights, and SB themselves have a P-Rocket series that is nice and cost-effective.

Last edited:

NOREAT

Newly Enlightened
You also might want to look at the offerings from Surefire.

camoman2

Newly Enlightened
I personally believe that Surefire....while they are nice lights, it's been my exp. they are way overpriced for what you get. You can take an L2P, a p60 drop-in, pot it, and build a comparable weapon light at a fraction of the cost. I have a Surefire G2, a 6P, a Fenix TA21, a SF L2P, an Olight M20S, and an Olight M21X. While the 6P is a nice light (once you upgrade the emitter) The G2 "is what it is" and that is plastic.

Last edited:

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want the ABSOLUTE brightest mid-sized, production single-emitter tactical light with massive throw as well as spill that runs on 1x18650 or 2xCR123A, ThruNite TN11 is the current champion at the moment.

Unfortunately, the runtime sucks with that battery configuration.

bstrickler

Enlightened
As much as I understand you don't like Surefire due to their prices, I would look into a 2nd gen U2 modded with an XM-L (for efficiency. Comes with an SSC P4, rated at like 140 lumens OTF, while the XM-L will put about 300-400, depending on bin used), or find a similar type light that uses a selector ring to adjust the brightness.

~Brian

NOREAT

Newly Enlightened
I will agree that other lights are generally brighter for the money. However, when he says "tactical light", I assume he means he needs a hard-use flashight. For that I don't think Surefire can be beat, with the exception of customs.

camoman2

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about that. I have had a Fenix TA21 that has seen much more abuse than any light should. Just to prove a point to a friend (who was another Surefire die hard) Iv'e thrown it up in the air as far as I could, just land on a concrete slab, (try that with a G2) I have spiked it off a brick wall as hard as I could, (again try that with a G2) I put it on the outer coals of a bonfire for about five minutes without batteries (G2...don't think so), And for the finally, I put it in a bucket of water overnight. My TA21 is not pretty, but it works the same as the day I received it. I know for a fact the G2 would be dead under the same circumstances, and am not totally convinced the 6p would have made it either.

NOREAT

Newly Enlightened
I suggest Surefire, you think they aren't any good. I respect your opinion. This thread is to help RClumens find a flashlight, and we have both made our suggestions. If we want to have a disscution about Surefire vs. Fenix/other flashlight manufacturers we can find plenty of other threads to do it in. I admit I should not have posted again, and to everyone posting and reading, and especially RClumens, I apologize. Lets not get RClumens thread closed!

bugeyes

Newly Enlightened
If you want the ABSOLUTE brightest mid-sized, production single-emitter tactical light with massive throw as well as spill that runs on 1x18650 or 2xCR123A, ThruNite TN11 is the current champion at the moment.

Unfortunately, the runtime sucks with that battery configuration.

Howabout compares with ThruNite Scorpion V3? Which one is better?