Spy007 XM-L and XP-G

jnug

Newly Enlightened
For the guys that now have experience with both the Spy007 XP-G and the XM-L are there any general comments about how the beam shape varies between the two or any other variables for that matter. I have not found a thread that discusses that as yet so that I would just ask the question. I would guess the most relevant comparison would be the 1400 mA board version of the XP-G vs the XM-L but feel free to correct me if am wrong.

I have a good deal of work to do to get to anywhere near the knowledge base that exists with member of this forum.

Last edited:

jnug

Newly Enlightened
Re: Spy007 XM-L and XM-G

Sorry meant XP-G and zigged when I should have zagged. Edited the post. Thanks for the correction.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quick & Dirty.
XPG has a tighther beam and appears to throw a bit more.
XLM, wider hot spot, tons of light, but not as much throw.

For walking the dogs, I like the XML as it lights up the path/sidewalk, say 10 feet in front of me, very evenly about 6ft wide. The XPG would focus more where I point it ( say the dog), with about a 3ft hot spot, but spill for the whole path.
Now for playing, when I light up the building across the soccer field, the XPG will light it up, with a hot spot visible. The XML lights up the entire path from me to the building, but the building is not as bright. I would guess this is maybe 150 feet away from me.

Lighting up my back alley.
The XPG will light up the roadway & fences along the sides for a good 150 feet or more.
The XML does so too, but the side spill reaches higher, lighting up the houses too.

So different but both good.
Now I am comparing apples to oranges a bit, as my XPG is Cool, and my MXL is neutral.

They both have thier place in my light useage. Sometimes, I just don't like/need the amount of light coming from the XML, as our neighbours are fairly close, and it is pretty obvious when I crank it up, that their homes are lit up. Fun, but I don't want to tick them off.

As for user interface, both of the versions Dave are using are the same..

I have now toned my XML down to 1500 as that is still a ton of usefull light, but not sucking back the batteries.
I have used it on 1000 for a good 30 minute walk, and heat is not an issue. Mind you it is near freezing out too.

Love them both.

I am comtemplating one more SPY, and not sure if I want another XML or XPG.

helios123

Enlightened

I thought there's this new emitter being released and a new spy..turned out to be typo :shakehead

jnug

Newly Enlightened
Launch Mini,

It sounds like when you dial back the XM-L version although the light output is less intense the beam pattern is such that it still lights up your neighbors houses or throws light over a larger area. Would that be a fair statement?

Interesting because you could envision uses for both. I have been using a Solarforce L2P as a means of experimenting with different beam patterns, tints and intensities as you can get a number of different modules for that light. I managed to get one of those triple XP-G's although they are not as available it seems as they once were. The triple XP-G seems to light up a larger area but does not appear to focus as much light at the outer reaches of the beam. Neither the single XP-G module nor the stock Solarforce module lights up as much area . The custom single does have much more of a tightly focused beam and does not light up near as much area and the stock Solarforce module has a similar beam to the custom single XP-G but is less intense. I have a custom XM-L coming for that light and an anxious to throw that one into the mix.

I am using the Solarforce as a practical carry light but am also using it to try to determine how I want something smaller, like a Spy to be configured.

easilyled

Flashaholic
In a nutshell the XPG has a central hotspot which is markedly brighter than its periphery.
The XM-L has a beam that is more or less even everywhere. Its periphery is brighter than that of the XM-L, its hotspot is less bright.

So the XPG throws further but with a narrow beam. It will light up more distant objects without lighting up the foreground as much.
The XM-L won't light up objects at as far a distance (unless its at its 3A setting which is not practical for any length of time) but it will illuminate more in the foreground. Its more a wall of light.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a nutshell the XPG has a central hotspot which is markedly brighter than its periphery.
The XM-L has a beam that is more or less even everywhere. Its periphery is brighter than that of the XM-L, its hotspot is less bright.

So the XPG throws further but with a narrow beam. It will light up more distant objects without lighting up the foreground as much.
The XM-L won't light up objects at as far a distance (unless its at its 3A setting which is not practical for any length of time) but it will illuminate more in the foreground. Its more a wall of light.

That sums it up nicely.

I am soooo looking forward to using the XM-L at our cabin, as it will easily light up the entire living room. ( of course using the rail adaptor & tripod to set the light up properly)

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
The big question.
I have a cool white XPG ( this was an mod, so not original from Data, but still nice), and Neutral XM-L. Love them both.
I would love to add a SW GG as my final SPY, but which to I go for??
A Neutral XP-G, which I think would be my main light,
or
A Cool XM-L, which would be just fun to play with.

I should have gotten a GG Neutral, but I was impatient :(

easilyled

Flashaholic
The big question.
I have a cool white XPG ( this was an mod, so not original from Data, but still nice), and Neutral XM-L. Love them both.
I would love to add a SW GG as my final SPY, but which to I go for??
A Neutral XP-G, which I think would be my main light,
or
A Cool XM-L, which would be just fun to play with.

I should have gotten a GG Neutral, but I was impatient :(

Sounds like if the neutral XP-G would be your main light, then that's the one to go for.
It also makes sense to have that with the SW GG in that case because that finish is very rugged.
I'm too scared to EDC the normal finish SPY007s because the machining finish is so refined that even the tiniest scratches/marks look conspicuous.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I took a nice walk this morning (3.2km or 2 miles) and used my Neutral XM-L for a good part of it. I was very impressed.
Colour rendering was great, along one creek, I was blown away at how much light this thing gives off ( 500,1500 & 3000 settings). As for throw, really more than enough for walking, hiking etc. Not like I would be using it to spot critters past 200 feet anyway.
I keep flip flopping on which one.
On the XML, at least I have the option or ramping it up if I want.

jnug

Newly Enlightened
I received the XM-L module for my L2P yesterday and dropped it right into the host. Wow, the span of the beam pattern is pretty remarkable and very different when compared to an XP-G module. In fact I can see why people struggle with the difference. It is almost to much of a beam pattern from the perspective of what you really want to light up.

Some of our posters have used examples from their neighborhoods so I guess I will use one from mine. Remembering that this is not a Spy that I am using for all these comparisons but an L2P host, when I drop in the XM-L module I am lighting up the second floor of the two story homes in my neighborhood. Just as others have posted about what they experience in their neighborhoods I am not sure I want to be walking down the street pumping light right up into my neighbors bedroom windows.

That said you can always ratchet back the output but you still have the same pattern at least from what I have seen. I think I am concluding that the XM-L while being an advancement in the technology might not be as practical in many cases as the XP-G. Around the campsite the XM-L may in fact be perfect maybe even the best light ever made. Walking down the street....I am not so sure.

Last edited:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received the XM-L module for my L2P yesterday and dropped it right into the host. Wow, the span of the beam pattern is pretty remarkable and very different when compared to an XP-G module. In fact I can see why people struggle with the difference. It is almost to much of a beam pattern from the perspective of what you really want to light up.

Some of our posters have used examples from their neighborhoods so I guess I will use one from mine. Remembering that this is not a Spy that I am using for all these comparisons but an L2P host, when I drop in the XM-L module I am lighting up the second floor of the two story homes in my neighborhood. Just as others have posted about what they experience in their neighborhoods I am not sure I want to be walking down the street pumping light right up into my neighbors bedroom windows.

That said you can always ratchet back the output but you still have the same pattern at least from what I have seen. I think I am concluding that the XM-L while being an advancement in the technology might not be as practical in many cases as the XP-G. Around the campsite the XM-L may in fact be perfect maybe even the best light ever made. Walking down the street....I am not so sure.

X2