Foxfury Scout
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Klarus XT11

Default Klarus XT11

Just found out Klarus has a new light coming out in January.

Looks about the same as a XT10 just brighter.
    Klarus XT11

Surefire,Inova,4Sevens,Fenix,Olight,Malkoff, AEX25,Xeray50,Polarion Aybss Dual, AElight 30-50 watt,Wiseled tactical 2000,Peak, Lupine Wilma TL, .......

Default Re: Klarus XT11

Nice
    “Videre Nec Videri”

Looks interesting. What do people generally think of Klarus as a brand? I haven't read too much about them on CPF.

it seems like Thrunite TN10.i'm curious between this two what's the best.

Generally I like the Klarus lights. I have one XT-10 that I can carry when needed, I have a second mounted on a carbine.
    I have the XT1A and 2A. I have on order the 2C and several of the P series lights.
    Also waiting on an XT20 as my first 2x-18650 light.

I will order the XT11 when it arrives.
    In god we trust.........all others are suspects
    There are no problems in life that can not be solved with high explosives or small arms
    Too many new lights to list

600ANSI Lumens, I just looked it up. WOW
    2.2 Hour Runtime, ))

This beats the BC25.

Is there a step down after a few minutes we don't know about?
    I might be sold... for later lol.

Oh one more thing, an the anti-roll ring be removed?
    Last edited by Animalmother; 12-20-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Must.....have....
    Petzl Tactikka, ITP A1, Surefire E2D, Sunwayman T40CS, Zebralight H31,
    ZT 350, ZT 121, Marlin 1895M

I like that variable frequency strobe. I would probably never use it but it'd be nice to have.
    +1 on the stepdown. It would be nice if it was actually 600 lumens for 2.2 hours and not 600 lumens for 5 minutes and then maybe 400 lumens for 2 hours. I hate that.

How far does it throw? Noting about that, yet, on the klarus website.
    “Videre Nec Videri”

Quote Originally Posted by bullinchinashop View Post
    I like that variable frequency strobe. I would probably never use it but it'd be nice to have.
    +1 on the stepdown. It would be nice if it was actually 600 lumens for 2.2 hours and not 600 lumens for 5 minutes and then maybe 400 lumens for 2 hours. I hate that.
    So, there is a stepdown from 600lumens after 5 minutes afterall? I didn't read that anywhere but here.
    I agree though I really don't like the stepdown either.
    Keep the brightness constant until it dies. It says (600 Lumens 2.2 hours) that's what I would expect. They should give it the true 435 lumen rating is it. Sometimes I feel like these manufacturers play to may games. Like the JetBeam P10A. 650Lumens for 30 minutes and they never informed anyone lower modes wont work.

Sorry for the rant guys.
    Last edited by Animalmother; 12-20-2011 at 06:30 PM.

First off, no - nowhere on the Klarus site does it mention a step-down. However, that is not a large enough head to make me think it could dissipate enough heat to sustain 600 lumens. There should be some kind of protection mechanism for overheating - either triggered by a timer or thermal sensor.

Second - runtimes are almost always given for the entire time it can sustain that output. I.e. if they say 2.2 hours at 600lms, then IF there is a step-down they will turn the light off and on again to maintain 600lms (allowing for a cooling period if necessary). So IF the step-down occurs after, say, 5 mins, then they will run it for 5 mins, turn it off, then back on and run it for another 5 mins, and so on until it dies (well, usually manufacturers stop timing at 50% of the output, i.e. 300lms in this case, though with a regulated circuit it's usually putting out the rated output until minutes before it quickly drops to zero).

My question - why do they list 16340s as a possibility, but then in the specs say it's "not recommended"? Under what circumstances would it be acceptable/not acceptable? I understand why they wouldn't, for example, recommend a 14500 instead of an AA due to overheating concerns but say it's "possible" in that it wouldn't fry it the second you turn it on. However, batteries labelled 16340s are usually pretty close, if not identical to CR123s are they not?

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneLogic View Post
    First off, no - nowhere on the Klarus site does it mention a step-down. However, that is not a large enough head to make me think it could dissipate enough heat to sustain 600 lumens. There should be some kind of protection mechanism for overheating - either triggered by a timer or thermal sensor.

Second - runtimes are almost always given for the entire time it can sustain that output. I.e. if they say 2.2 hours at 600lms, then IF there is a step-down they will turn the light off and on again to maintain 600lms (allowing for a cooling period if necessary). So IF the step-down occurs after, say, 5 mins, then they will run it for 5 mins, turn it off, then back on and run it for another 5 mins, and so on until it dies (well, usually manufacturers stop timing at 50% of the output, i.e. 300lms in this case, though with a regulated circuit it's usually putting out the rated output until minutes before it quickly drops to zero).

My question - why do they list 16340s as a possibility, but then in the specs say it's "not recommended"? Under what circumstances would it be acceptable/not acceptable? I understand why they wouldn't, for example, recommend a 14500 instead of an AA due to overheating concerns but say it's "possible" in that it wouldn't fry it the second you turn it on. However, batteries labelled 16340s are usually pretty close, if not identical to CR123s are they not?
    I also wondered why.
    Now we're scratching our heads.

Hopefully the CPF veterans come and answer our questions.

Flashaholic*

CR123's 3.0v drop to about 2.7v under heavy load (2x5.4v) IIRC, and average 1500mAh capacity
    RCR123/16340 are 4.2v, have minimal sag (2x8.4v), and the very best ones give 600-700mAh capacity, but, more likely closer to 550mAh.

so, runtimes will be half or less on RCR123/16340... why bother,

go for a 17670/17650 cell for similar runtimes to 2xCR123?
    or, 1x18650 for almost double runtimes.

Cheers
    Tod

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneLogic View Post
    ... batteries labelled 16340s are usually pretty close, if not identical to CR123s are they not?
    the reality of life... 50% +/- of it will be in darkness(unless you have a light!) dba
    - compare lights

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Drumstick View Post
    Looks interesting. What do people generally think of Klarus as a brand? I haven't read too much about them on CPF.
    I use my XT10 every day and it hasn't had any problems. It has a nice neutral color emitter. I especially like the fact that it goes back to full
    lumen setting after being turned off then on again. I use 18650's only.
    I might get the XT11 if it operates in the same fashion as the XT10
    Last edited by wfturnerm4; 12-21-2011 at 05:06 PM.

i hope they got rid of the PWM. until they do, its a no-no for me for Klarus!

i hope they got rid of the PWM. until they do, its a no-no for me for Klarus!

Oh I see, so there is a stepdown most likely with the XT11.

From Klarus's website:

2. New circuit design delivers both high brightness and long runtime (full brightness is constant for 3 minutes, then the brightness will drop to 70% of full brightness)

600-420

I still want it.
    The screw on filters look like a great idea....
    Petzl Tactikka, ITP A1, Surefire E2D, Sunwayman T40CS, Zebralight H31,
    ZT 350, ZT 121, Marlin 1895M

Quote Originally Posted by Gorram View Post
    From Klarus's website:

2. New circuit design delivers both high brightness and long runtime (full brightness is constant for 3 minutes, then the brightness will drop to 70% of full brightness)

600-420

I still want it.

Three minutes on constant is a pretty long time anyway
    In god we trust.........all others are suspects
    There are no problems in life that can not be solved with high explosives or small arms
    Too many new lights to list

Quote Originally Posted by Animalmother View Post
    So, there is a stepdown from 600lumens after 5 minutes afterall? I didn't read that anywhere but here.
    I agree though I really don't like the stepdown either.
    Keep the brightness constant until it dies. It says (600 Lumens 2.2 hours) that's what I would expect. They should give it the true 435 lumen rating is it. Sometimes I feel like these manufacturers play to may games. Like the JetBeam P10A. 650Lumens for 30 minutes and they never informed anyone lower modes wont work.

Sorry for the rant guys.
    No No I was just saying that I hope there wouldn't be a step-down not confirming that there would be. Sorry for the confusion.

He does confirm a step-down though:

Quote Originally Posted by Gorram View Post
    From Klarus's website:

600-420

I still want it.

Last edited by bullinchinashop; 12-23-2011 at 05:26 AM.

I was wondering if they are reading this thread, since they put up the step-down info right after the question about it was posted here.

I've asked them the following questions, will hopefully hear back after the holidays:

Why are 16340s not recommended?

Does it use PWM?

Does it have mode memory and, if not, what does it come on in and what is the cycle order (e.g. high-low-med or low-med-high or...)?

The runtime of 2.2hrs on high - is that with or without the step-down (i.e. 2.2 hours of cumulative 600lm output)?

To clarify a comment from Animalmother - from what I understand, the step-down does NOT mean that after the first few minutes of use it will never give the full output again until a fresh battery is inserted. It DOES mean that ANY time you turn on the light (even if the battery is close to dead) it will give max output for a few minutes and then step down. So after you notice it dim, you can simply turn it off then on again to regain max output. However, doing this might overheat your light eventually. Some manufactures do have ways of disabling the step-down entirely (e.g. quickly turning it off and on 20 times in a row) but they will specifically mention that feature if a light has it.

I am well aware of how the UI stepdown is configured.

I want it constant without having to turn it back on because if I need it to illuminate an area and happen to be away from my light for any reason more then 5 minutes I may have to return to turn it off/on and could be a bit of a problem depending on what I am doing. And if it's dark, the decrease might affect what I am doing as my eyes are used to the brightness level. I use my lights for everything and tend to prepare myself for any problems I may encounter. I hope you guys understand why I am leaning slightly against stepdowns in the UI.

Although, I am starting to like this light allot and am considering it against my other choices forgetting about the stepdown with or without a way to sizable it in the UI. I love the look, output for it's size of this light. I am craving more then my PA40 already! So far, the G25 has my full attention.

Flashaholic

well i kind of messed up and posted my own thread about the XT11. The screw on diffusers is actually a really good idea though. the step down?... not for me as is the reason why i got The Olight M20X instead of the M21X which is also at 600 lumens, but steps down after five minutes to 60% brightness. The XT11 looks promising though with its patented intuitive UI.

I heard back from Klarus' customer service and, after a bit of back and forth to clarify the details (english not their first language) I found out the following:

The runtime of 2.2 hours is for "high", in other words, 3 min at 600lm, then the rest at 420lm. They didn't know how much runtime the light would get doing cumulative runs of 3 min each (staying at 600lm).

The light uses PWM at 1000Hz.

There is no mode memory - comes on in high, then switches to med, then low, then back to high (repeat).

16340s are not recommended due to lower performance, no other reason.

Hope this helps!

it looks like a great light. i'll wait for a review though
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Mine showed up yesterday. It is not worthy of a full review as it is merely an upgraded emitter on the XT10 platform, or so it seems.

I was looking for a substantial jump in output, however, it was not there. Is it brighter? Yes, but not to any significant degree. Was the testing scientific? Not at all. Myself and another on-duty guy with two different XT10s compared the output on vehicle interiors, alleys, and open areas.

If you have an XT10 now, you may see the same minor improvement in brightness, but that's about it. And yes, I know that the human eye has to receive a very significant increase in brightness before we can perceive the difference in output.

Overall, and in my opinion, the XT11 is still a tactical-quality light and worthy of being carried as a duty light.

Hey k9 hutch, I have the xt 10, n my tint color is snow white in the middle with a warmer color around it n purple around that, how is the tint on the xt 11

My Xt10 is also pretty white..YMMV, but my XT11 is more of a cool white

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by sleep creeper View Post
    Hey k9 hutch, I have the xt 10, n my tint color is snow white in the middle with a warmer color around it n purple around that, how is the tint on the xt 11
    I haz an X11 and ts is white-little greenish-little purplish, so it sounds like similar to x10

Looks like a mixed bag, I received both my XT10 and XT2C only weeks ago, my XT10 has what I would consider a perfectly uniform & slightly warm white, whilst the beam on the XT2C is cool white & has a slight purple tint to the beam. I don't think I will be splashing out to get an XT11, due to the mixed bag factor.