Storacell
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Klarus XT11

Unenlightened

Default Re: Klarus XT11

Thanks TEEJ. The light spill in that photo is impressive indeed. I have crawled under my house ( almost identical type of space/environment as in your pic, including the dust particles :P ) with the TK12 and the beam profile is quite similar I guess, albeit less pronounced and definitely with less spill.

XT11 certainly looks as though it retains a nice amount spill despite the reportedly awesome throw. And I am very interested in the UI. My Fenix is great, but I never quite gelled with the idea of twisting the head to change modes. Ugh... my bank account is not going to like me this month!

Cheers.

I just received both SC600 and the XT11. I wish I have a camera to show the white wall

beamshots. If you like a floody, where real brightness won't really matter, the SC600 does the

job. But if you desire medium flood AND much more intense, pure white brightness, the XT11

wins hands down. I'm very, very surprised of the result, considering that the turbo mode of the

SC600 is at 750 lumens, while the XT11 at 'only' 600. Is it because of the deeper, bigger by

almost 5mm reflector of the XT11? You should have both lights to 'see' the difference. Both

lights powered by 18650s. What could be the reason? Btw, both lights are very well-made,

it becomes a matter of personal preference.
    Last edited by tatasal; 03-06-2012 at 04:12 AM.

Thumbs up Klarus XT11

I have owned the Klarus XT11 for a few months now and I love the light profile pattern and it will give more output running on primary 123s. Around 150 lumens more than a single 18650. I also have the Zebralight SC600 and it is very floody and a creamy colour compared to the Klarus XT11. The XT11 wins hands down IMHO, and it throws well for a light of its size and has plenty of good spill as well. Good job Klarus!!!

ONCE YOU START COLLECTING LIGHTS THERE IS NO END IN SIGHT.

I wasn't particularly impressed with the Klarus holster for the XT11. Here it is in a Maxpedition holster. Since the tactical ring does not fit, I tucked it into the elastic band. I hardly ever use it, but I'm weird and like to keep things together. It's popped out a little in this photo but normally tucks in nicely.

Flashaholic

I have the Klarus XT11... I had the olight M20X... The XT11 running on 1 18650 battery blows my socks off with GREAT performance! I I have a surefire 6p with an xpg r5 340 lighthound led dropin, and the XT11 again on an 18650 battery throws just about as far but with I believe a greater intensity of light! I don't have other lights with bigger heads and deeper reflectors, but to me, this Klarus XT11 "throws" a pretty well with excellent flood. Like I've said, had the newer olight m20x @t 460 OTF lumens but a manufacture rating of 500 ansi lumens and I can tell you this klarus XT11 has the edge in qaulity and beam flood and throw. I tested the 3 min step down on high... My light stepped down at 2 min 49 sec, with an abrupt drop, not ramp in brightness. But its brightness was still a very usable 450+ OTF lumens it seemed like. Turned it off and back on and went right back to the 600 lumens. This a SUPERB light on ALL levels. I am very pleased of its qaulity, user interface, overall beam performance (flood & throw) solidness of feel, well centered led emitter, pure white tint, battery life, need I go on... Etc. I LOVE THIS LIGHT!!!

SPC smith

*Flashaholic*

Its STILL my primary edc.

BTW - With two RCR123's, its even BRIGHTER than with 2 123 primaries....but both are brighter than the one 18650.

At Photon Fest 18, TurboBB measured some lights for lumen output, and the Klarus XT11 - was measured at 850 OTF lumens with 2 RCR123's. That's 250 L more than its rated at...and 250 L is more than some LIGHTS put out TOTAL.

Even though the light is brightest with the 2 rechargeables, I run it with a single 18650 to get the awesome run time the 3100 mAh gives over the 1500 for primaries or 750 mAh for the RCR's...as the brightness on the 18650 is awesome anyway.

Flashaholic

Teej,

Yeah well on 1 18650 I'm pretty happy with the klarus XT11's performance. I can only imagine on rcr123's. But overall I am satisfied ! I can now see why this light has gotten all the hype that it has

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by spc smith View Post
    Teej,

Yeah well on 1 18650 I'm pretty happy with the klarus XT11's performance. I can only imagine on rcr123's. But overall I am satisfied ! I can now see why this light has gotten all the hype that it has
    can someone quickly tell me why the klarus xt11 and olight M21X are basically the same as far as lumens and LED is concerned, but the klarus is 2.3 runtime and the olight is only 1.3?

thankyou.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by rambo180 View Post
    can someone quickly tell me why the klarus xt11 and olight M21X are basically the same as far as lumens and LED is concerned, but the klarus is 2.3 runtime and the olight is only 1.3?

thankyou.
    Klarus review: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...EAMSHOTS-VIDEO
    Olight Review http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...door-beamshots

*Flashaholic*

thankyou.
    I'm not sure they are both XML U2 LED's, and they use different algorithms for regulation, as well as different brightness levels, etc.

Also, when lights have a turbo mode (Both do here), the manufacturers tend to roll the "turbo time" into the "high time", etc...and combine them in different ways to get one "run time" for high.

When the XT11 drops, it drops to 70%, when the Olight drops, it drops to 60% (Again, different needs, relative to how hard each type of LED is driven at to GET the turbo lumens, etc.)

The Olight has a larger head, and is more optimized to throw, where the XT11 is optimized for relatively more flood. So, essentially, the ONLY thing they have in common is the turbo mode lumen rating, every thing else is actually different.

Last edited by TEEJ; 05-15-2012 at 06:35 AM.

I really love the XT-11. It is one of the best general use lights on the market at this time.
    Klarus has a real winner with this one.
    In god we trust.........all others are suspects
    There are no problems in life that can not be solved with high explosives or small arms
    Too many new lights to list

Flashaholic

thanks teej. you know lots.

i like that the olight has the diffuser as part of the package and the klarus needs seperate purchases, thats probably a main factor for me, and the lacking throw of the XT11, but i'm sure it is still fantastic for LEOs. and brilliant runtime - unrivalled in it's class as far as i know.
    Last edited by rambo180; 05-15-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Flashaholic

Apart from the positioning of the buttons and the size/shape of the buttons, Do the XT11 and M20X have basically the same UI?

I think the olight has memory whereas the xt11 always starts on high, but apart from that... very similar i think. One on/off button, one button to hold for strobe when off or change modes when on.

I'm about to purchase this but before I do, what other lights are worth considering at this price? An how is the quality of Klarus lights vs. Fenix an o-light?

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

I think the overwhelming consensus has been that the Klarus lights are of high quality. I am having a little issue with mine, which is being documented in SelfBuilt's review thread (and, yes, should probably be moved here) had have had to deal with a retailers' customer service and Klarus USAs customer service. Both have been pleasant to deal with. The issue isn't 100% resolved yet, so I can't speak to any kind of final outcome.

But generally, everyone seems to love these things and I do still like the light features. It's worth noting that my RMA# was only RMA#019.

Quote Originally Posted by HaileStorm View Post
    I'm about to purchase this but before I do, what other lights are worth considering at this price? An how is the quality of Klarus lights vs. Fenix an o-light?

*Flashaholic*

I have Klarus and Fenix and Olights for example, and they are all good lights, but, the Klarus is just the one I have the most faith in as a go to light.

Its abilities are just great match for what I need, and it takes abuse like you would not believe, and simply takes it in stride.

No light is perfect, all are made to hit price-points, etc...but the XT11 is a really sweet deal.

TEEJ, said it well. I carry the XT-11 on my duty belt. It is a great light with superb build. A very good light in a great form factor that strikes a good balance between size and performance.
    In god we trust.........all others are suspects
    There are no problems in life that can not be solved with high explosives or small arms
    Too many new lights to list

*Flashaholic*

Apart from the positioning of the buttons and the size/shape of the buttons, Do the XT11 and M20X have basically the same UI?

I think the olight has memory whereas the xt11 always starts on high, but apart from that... very similar i think. One on/off button, one button to hold for strobe when off or change modes when on.
    LOL

Yes, except for working differently, and having different buttons, both allow you to turn the light on/off and change modes w/o twisting the head.

The side switch on the M20X is a lot different than the tail switch on the XT11, partly because you can't USE the side switch while holding the light in any of the normal tactical grips you'd use...you need to hold it in a way that would allow you to aim the light, not drop the light, be able to turn the light off instantly if you needed to, AND be able to change modes...harder to do than the simple XT11 switch position.

You have to SCROLL through the M20X modes to GET TO the one you want, unless of course you want whatever it was at last...as it has a memory....whereas the XT11 always comes on in high...and then you press the mode button to sequentially select the next mode, again, as you do with about every light with more than one mode. (Starts at high, goes from there vs starts from whereever it was last, and goes from there...but with it being harder to hold the light on target while hitting the side switch)

So, the XT11/M20X UI are completely different in very fundamental ways, and are only similar in that MOST lights need a way to turn off, and change modes...and the M20X uses a side switch instead of a twisty head like its brother the M21X does.

Last edited by TEEJ; 05-21-2012 at 09:12 AM.

@ teel & ghostmeat:

Thank you for your prompt replies. I'm actually pretty new to this forum and to lights in the $80+ category so I'm not really sure what to expect in terms of quality and performance.

I do have a few cheap lights including a few Romisens, one of which claims to be rated at "1000" lumen (rc-t602). It is absolutely bright so I'm really curious how it compares to that. I've ordered my xt11 already and can't wait to compare them. I'm expecting the Romisen to be brighter but I'm hoping the Klarus will top it in terms of quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
    LOL

Yes, except for working differently, and having different buttons, both allow you to turn the light on/off and change modes w/o twisting the head.

The side switch on the M20X is a lot different than the tail switch on the XT11, partly because you can't USE the side switch while holding the light in any of the normal tactical grips you'd use...you need to hold it in a way that would allow you to aim the light, not drop the light, be able to turn the light off instantly if you needed to, AND be able to change modes...harder to do than the simple XT11 switch position.

You have to SCROLL through the M20X modes to GET TO the one you want, unless of course you want whatever it was at last...as it has a memory....whereas the XT11 always comes on in high...and then you press the mode button to sequentially select the next mode, again, as you do with about every light with more than one mode. (Starts at high, goes from there vs starts from whereever it was last, and goes from there...but with it being harder to hold the light on target while hitting the side switch)

So, the XT11/M20X UI are completely different in very fundamental ways, and are only similar in that MOST lights need a way to turn off, and change modes...and the M20X uses a side switch instead of a twisty head like its brother the M21X does.

haha. i this it is little more similar than both having an on/off switch and different modes, the button to change modes is also hold to strobe etc. but you have pointed out many important differences.

i now have the m20x. it is quite floody. in my inexperienced opinion, it certainly isn't much of a spotlight which i guess is more practical for most people.. the beam still reaches a good distance but there is no spot real spot involved, (3 trees will light up, rather than just a super-bright branch) what % of people really need good light on stuff over 150-200m away? i would guess less than 50%, not me anyway. would've been fun though.

it is fantastically bright, has a nice transition from spot to spill, and is feels well made. got it got $140 delivered with red filter, ATP Ti A3 AAA keychain light, weapon mount, 2x 18650 protected cells and a quality charger, holster, remote switch. very good deal.

CONS:
    - the side switch blends in well with the barrel and is a pain in the ass to find in the dark. people say you can line up the belt clip with the button but the belt clip has a special indent to sit in a particular spot... unless you stop screwing the tailcap when the button lines up. either way - not ideal.
    - the holster is strictly built for belt use. it won't work well as a cover in your bag as the torch moves around a lot and the barrel can fall out quite a bit, won't protect from dirt, and there is a strange hole in the holster so you can turn it on and use it while its in the cover, a little pointless but hey. i don't like velcro either. but that's just me. maybe you love it.
    - it comes with a great GITD tail switch, but it took me 20minutes to put on and it still isn't perfect. - make sure you really want to use it before removing the black one.

Overall it's great. For a light that small, it is very, very bright. And sufficiently floody for amost anything in my opinion. Unless you're reading maps all night.
    Good difference between modes and you never need to see strobe unless you want to. I've noticed the beam floods more if you take the strike bezel off too. Good purchase, would like to compare it to the XT11. I think the UI would be easier. Dam that side switch isn't easy to find.

Flashaholic

Just realised this is an XT11 page. Sorry. Buy the XT11. After trying different UIs, the XT11 buttons really do sound fantastic.

BTW Teej - you're an asset to CPF, and myself & I'm sure many many others appreciate your detailed and informative posts.
    Last edited by rambo180; 05-24-2012 at 05:59 AM.

Finally got my xt11 from the mail!!! This light is totally awesome! Nice even spread and pretty good throw so it earns a place in my favorites as my general purpose, mid-range light.

My insanely bright thrower, my mid-range and my edc. Love these lights!

I don't know if anyone has done this but I noticed a groove in the XT11 tailcap wherein you can put another o-ring. Fits perfectly and I'm sure it will somehow improve the waterproofing of this light. Here's a pic:

Flashaholic

I don't know if anyone has done this but I noticed a groove in the XT11 tailcap wherein you can put another o-ring. Fits perfectly and I'm sure it will somehow improve the waterproofing of this light.
    hi great pics. Tell me more about the Rominsen if you don't mind. (pm if you have to - this is a klarus post, don't want to upset anyone). I'm interested in knowing how many lumens you think it is? Thrower entirely, so no flood? Is the built quality good, or can you tell it is a cheapie? Anything else you want to add cheers

haha. i this it is little more similar than both having an on/off switch and different modes, the button to change modes is also hold to strobe etc. but you have pointed out many important differences.

i now have the m20x. it is quite floody. in my inexperienced opinion, it certainly isn't much of a spotlight which i guess is more practical for most people.. the beam still reaches a good distance but there is no spot real spot involved, (3 trees will light up, rather than just a super-bright branch) what % of people really need good light on stuff over 150-200m away? i would guess less than 50%, not me anyway. would've been fun though.

it is fantastically bright, has a nice transition from spot to spill, and is feels well made. got it got $140 delivered with red filter, ATP Ti A3 AAA keychain light, weapon mount, 2x 18650 protected cells and a quality charger, holster, remote switch. very good deal.

CONS:
    - the side switch blends in well with the barrel and is a pain in the ass to find in the dark. people say you can line up the belt clip with the button but the belt clip has a special indent to sit in a particular spot... unless you stop screwing the tailcap when the button lines up. either way - not ideal.
    - the holster is strictly built for belt use. it won't work well as a cover in your bag as the torch moves around a lot and the barrel can fall out quite a bit, won't protect from dirt, and there is a strange hole in the holster so you can turn it on and use it while its in the cover, a little pointless but hey. i don't like velcro either. but that's just me. maybe you love it.
    - it comes with a great GITD tail switch, but it took me 20minutes to put on and it still isn't perfect. - make sure you really want to use it before removing the black one.

Overall it's great. For a light that small, it is very, very bright. And sufficiently floody for amost anything in my opinion. Unless you're reading maps all night.
    Good difference between modes and you never need to see strobe unless you want to. I've noticed the beam floods more if you take the strike bezel off too. Good purchase, would like to compare it to the XT11. I think the UI would be easier. Dam that side switch isn't easy to find.
    Not trying to hijack the Klarus XT11 thread (I have one and its great) but a tip to Rambo180...put a drop of silicone caulk on the strobe button of your olight M20X, let it dry and trim to suit your liking...the button will then be easy to find. This is a common fix for Olights with the hard-to-find side strobe button.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by cyclesport View Post
    Not trying to hijack the Klarus XT11 thread (I have one and its great) but a tip to Rambo180...put a drop of silicone caulk on the strobe button of your olight M20X, let it dry and trim to suit your liking...the button will then be easy to find. This is a common fix for Olights with the hard-to-find side strobe button.
    Great tip!! Thankyou cyclesport. Yes I've heard the Klarus is great, and even greater because you don't need silicone to find the strobe button!

Since this is a klarus thread, i guess it would be okay to compare the xt11 vs the rc-t602.

Just charged my xt11 and my romisen t602 along with my xt2c. I'll have to say, the xt11 looks like a candle compared to the rc-t602. The t602 is definitely a thrower, throws much farther than the klarus. And it has a very usable spread (halo) which pretty much lights up whats in front of you.

As for build quality, I was surprised that the romisen felt more solid. But this might also be due of the heft of the t602. Although the klarus' waterproofing is definitely better, I feel that the romisen is built at least at par, if not better than my xt11.

Just my opinion but I'm no expert. Like I said, it might just be because of the t602's beefier build. Hope this helps!

Posted this in another thread but here are the three lights side by side:

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

Flashaholic

Since this is a klarus thread, i guess it would be okay to compare the xt11 vs the rc-t602.

Just charged my xt11 and my romisen t602 along with my xt2c. I'll have to say, the xt11 looks like a candle compared to the rc-t602. The t602 is definitely a thrower, throws much farther than the klarus. And it has a very usable spread (halo) which pretty much lights up whats in front of you.

As for build quality, I was surprised that the romisen felt more solid. But this might also be due of the heft of the t602. Although the klarus' waterproofing is definitely better, I feel that the romisen is built at least at par, if not better than my xt11.

Just my opinion but I'm no expert. Like I said, it might just be because of the t602's beefier build. Hope this helps!

Posted this in another thread but here are the three lights side by side:

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk
    Yes it helps. Thankyou very much. I imagine the battery life is much much better on the Klarus, and it would be much more pocket friendly. Thanks Hailestorm. My next light might be a U2 LED. Heard good things.

Yup, battery life in the klarus is much better. If I need to drain my batteries, i just stick them in the romisen and let it run at 5min intervals. Drains em quite fast. Always welcome!

Does this light only comes in cool? I'd love to get a neutral version.
    [New Malkoff MD2/M61W (neutral) H/L] - [Old Malkoff MD2/M61 219 H/L] - [Fenix TK11 R5] - [4Sevens Quark AA Tactical R5] - [Petzl Tikka Plus] - [Streamlight Propoly 4AA Luxeon]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast