Klarus XT11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just found out Klarus has a new light coming out in January.

Looks about the same as a XT10 just brighter.
[h=1][/h]Klarus XT11

110m1iv.jpg

2m4zxtt.jpg

2s9x5yh.jpg

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks interesting. What do people generally think of Klarus as a brand? I haven't read too much about them on CPF.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally I like the Klarus lights. I have one XT-10 that I can carry when needed, I have a second mounted on a carbine.
I have the XT1A and 2A. I have on order the 2C and several of the P series lights.
Also waiting on an XT20 as my first 2x-18650 light.

I will order the XT11 when it arrives.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
600ANSI Lumens, I just looked it up. WOW
2.2 Hour Runtime, :)))

This beats the BC25.

Is there a step down after a few minutes we don't know about?
I might be sold... for later lol.

Oh one more thing, an the anti-roll ring be removed?

Last edited:

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
I like that variable frequency strobe. I would probably never use it but it'd be nice to have.
+1 on the stepdown. It would be nice if it was actually 600 lumens for 2.2 hours and not 600 lumens for 5 minutes and then maybe 400 lumens for 2 hours. I hate that.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I like that variable frequency strobe. I would probably never use it but it'd be nice to have.
+1 on the stepdown. It would be nice if it was actually 600 lumens for 2.2 hours and not 600 lumens for 5 minutes and then maybe 400 lumens for 2 hours. I hate that.

So, there is a stepdown from 600lumens after 5 minutes afterall? I didn't read that anywhere but here.
I agree though I really don't like the stepdown either.
Keep the brightness constant until it dies. It says (600 Lumens 2.2 hours) that's what I would expect. They should give it the true 435 lumen rating is it. Sometimes I feel like these manufacturers play to may games. Like the JetBeam P10A. 650Lumens for 30 minutes and they never informed anyone lower modes wont work.

Sorry for the rant guys.

Last edited:

ArcaneLogic

Newly Enlightened
First off, no - nowhere on the Klarus site does it mention a step-down. However, that is not a large enough head to make me think it could dissipate enough heat to sustain 600 lumens. There should be some kind of protection mechanism for overheating - either triggered by a timer or thermal sensor.

Second - runtimes are almost always given for the entire time it can sustain that output. I.e. if they say 2.2 hours at 600lms, then IF there is a step-down they will turn the light off and on again to maintain 600lms (allowing for a cooling period if necessary). So IF the step-down occurs after, say, 5 mins, then they will run it for 5 mins, turn it off, then back on and run it for another 5 mins, and so on until it dies (well, usually manufacturers stop timing at 50% of the output, i.e. 300lms in this case, though with a regulated circuit it's usually putting out the rated output until minutes before it quickly drops to zero).

My question - why do they list 16340s as a possibility, but then in the specs say it's "not recommended"? Under what circumstances would it be acceptable/not acceptable? I understand why they wouldn't, for example, recommend a 14500 instead of an AA due to overheating concerns but say it's "possible" in that it wouldn't fry it the second you turn it on. However, batteries labelled 16340s are usually pretty close, if not identical to CR123s are they not?

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
First off, no - nowhere on the Klarus site does it mention a step-down. However, that is not a large enough head to make me think it could dissipate enough heat to sustain 600 lumens. There should be some kind of protection mechanism for overheating - either triggered by a timer or thermal sensor.

Second - runtimes are almost always given for the entire time it can sustain that output. I.e. if they say 2.2 hours at 600lms, then IF there is a step-down they will turn the light off and on again to maintain 600lms (allowing for a cooling period if necessary). So IF the step-down occurs after, say, 5 mins, then they will run it for 5 mins, turn it off, then back on and run it for another 5 mins, and so on until it dies (well, usually manufacturers stop timing at 50% of the output, i.e. 300lms in this case, though with a regulated circuit it's usually putting out the rated output until minutes before it quickly drops to zero).

My question - why do they list 16340s as a possibility, but then in the specs say it's "not recommended"? Under what circumstances would it be acceptable/not acceptable? I understand why they wouldn't, for example, recommend a 14500 instead of an AA due to overheating concerns but say it's "possible" in that it wouldn't fry it the second you turn it on. However, batteries labelled 16340s are usually pretty close, if not identical to CR123s are they not?

I also wondered why.
Now we're scratching our heads.

Hopefully the CPF veterans come and answer our questions.

lebox97

Enlightened
CR123's 3.0v drop to about 2.7v under heavy load (2x5.4v) IIRC, and average 1500mAh capacity
RCR123/16340 are 4.2v, have minimal sag (2x8.4v), and the very best ones give 600-700mAh capacity, but, more likely closer to 550mAh.

so, runtimes will be half or less on RCR123/16340... why bother,

go for a 17670/17650 cell for similar runtimes to 2xCR123?
or, 1x18650 for almost double runtimes.

Cheers
Tod

... batteries labelled 16340s are usually pretty close, if not identical to CR123s are they not?

wfturnerm4

Newly Enlightened
Looks interesting. What do people generally think of Klarus as a brand? I haven't read too much about them on CPF.

I use my XT10 every day and it hasn't had any problems. It has a nice neutral color emitter. I especially like the fact that it goes back to full
lumen setting after being turned off then on again. I use 18650's only.
I might get the XT11 if it operates in the same fashion as the XT10

Last edited:

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Oh I see, so there is a stepdown most likely with the XT11.

Gorram

Newly Enlightened
From Klarus's website:

2. New circuit design delivers both high brightness and long runtime (full brightness is constant for 3 minutes, then the brightness will drop to 70% of full brightness)

600-420

I still want it.
The screw on filters look like a great idea....

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
From Klarus's website:

2. New circuit design delivers both high brightness and long runtime (full brightness is constant for 3 minutes, then the brightness will drop to 70% of full brightness)

600-420

I still want it.

Three minutes on constant is a pretty long time anyway

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
So, there is a stepdown from 600lumens after 5 minutes afterall? I didn't read that anywhere but here.
I agree though I really don't like the stepdown either.
Keep the brightness constant until it dies. It says (600 Lumens 2.2 hours) that's what I would expect. They should give it the true 435 lumen rating is it. Sometimes I feel like these manufacturers play to may games. Like the JetBeam P10A. 650Lumens for 30 minutes and they never informed anyone lower modes wont work.

Sorry for the rant guys.

No No I was just saying that I hope there wouldn't be a step-down not confirming that there would be. Sorry for the confusion.

He does confirm a step-down though:

From Klarus's website:

600-420

I still want it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.