BlackShadow
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone seen the spotlight at costco lately? Its Huge!

Default Re: Has anyone seen the spotlight at costco lately? Its Huge!

I think Ademco alarm products has a line of lower current DC to DC regulators that are available in open chassis design.
    I wonder..... could they be paralleled for higher current?
    I'm gonna check into this. Most of the their OTS field installed components looked pretty rugged.
    There's just nothing else like running the 12 volt stuff at 14 Volts!
    IgNITEor
    AN/VSS-1 xenon Death Ray, 24" & 19"HMI, 600W Cow Light, LiteBox, PAR-46 80W portable, PAR-36 30W Navy Battle Lantern, Luxeon 5W Torch

And just like that, a boost converter magically appears!l
    Pretty sure I can persuade one of these into the Costco light
    Last edited by IgNITEor; 01-07-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spell-ing!
    IgNITEor
    AN/VSS-1 xenon Death Ray, 24" & 19"HMI, 600W Cow Light, LiteBox, PAR-46 80W portable, PAR-36 30W Navy Battle Lantern, Luxeon 5W Torch

Thanks for finding those! I picked up a couple even though I have no immediate need. A nice gadget to have around.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

BVH, you're welcome! I like how the seller is very clear about adding "enhanced" cooling when operating at the max output.
    I checked voltages on the Costco Monster after installing the SilverStar lamp. Only .4 Volt drop at the terminals. Not bad for factory wiring. Waaayyy better beam pattern. Rocker switch is already getting sloppy.
    IgNITEor

Thanks Igniteor for finding that voltage regulator on eBay. Please report how it works out in your spotlight.

Did you shim the Silverstar bulb in your reflector?

At first it needed shimming with the OEM lamp. After I popped in the Silverstar it seemed to center up nicely. I'm surprised with that.
    Once I can get a little range with the beam I'll check it again. It's needs at least a few hundred feet!
    And that's with only 11.8 Volts at the lamp terminals. Crazy.
    Sadly, it's gonna take a couple of weeks for the power supply to get here, dang it! Worth the wait. Maybe.
    BOOST!
    Last edited by IgNITEor; 01-07-2012 at 04:11 PM.
    IgNITEor

Enlightened

hi guys have some questions hope you could answer.

1. saw that the costco's wiring to the bulb is 18 AWG wires. i suppose it can handle a 170watt bulb just as long as its used for short bursts only(2 mins max). i was advised to use 14 AWG if to be used for longer periods.is this correct?

2. to get maximum output from the 170w halogen bulb the flashlight is best powered by a DC power supply plugged to a
    wall outlet (to avoid voltage sag compared to when using the 12v 7ah SLA). can i just plug in the built in wall charger whenever i have the light on so it seems like to be getting its power from the AC outlet?

i plan to have the costco on a fixed position near a DC power supply connected to a wall outlet to maximize output from the 170w bulb.

any thoughts welcome.|
    D10, EOS A3, DBS Aspheric V3, TK 41, TK40 and my reliable FJ40....love them all.

My recollection is that when the 120V cord is plugged in, power to the switch and lamp is interrupted. I'll check later today and report back. You could make a female DC power cigarette lighter adapter for your power supply output and plug the lights' DC lighter adapter into that.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Enlightened

thanks BVH. i read you have some of your lights are using lipo packs. was thinking of using a 5000mah 4 cell 25-50c
    lipo batt to power the light. using a 170w halogen bulb it would draw around 11.5amps but im not sure of the runtime.
    hope you could help me out how to best power the light. the stock SLA is kinda heavy and not sure if it has enough
    juice for the job.

hoping for a lighter weight, improved runtime and minimize voltage sag.

want to push the light safely to the limits with the 170 bulb but im open to using a 130w bulb if the 170 is just pushing
    the envelope too far.
    D10, EOS A3, DBS Aspheric V3, TK 41, TK40 and my reliable FJ40....love them all.

IIRC, I think I paralleled 2 ea., 4S/5000 Lipo's in my Costco 80 Watt to increase run time. It's probably pulling about 100 Watts given ballast overhead. I've never run it out to check run time. Here's what I do to calc an estimated run time. 1. Obtain total Watt Hours of the pack(s). (Nominal pack Voltage x's total pack(s) AH rating) 2. Calc your load in Watts (Volts ((nominal)) x's Amps or if you already know it in Watts, fine. 3. Divide your load Watts into the battery(s) Watt Hours then knock off 20-25% of that number for run time. My Costco example: 14.8 V (nominal 4S pack Voltage) x 10 AH (2 paralleled 5AH packs) = 148 Watt Hours. 148 Watt Hours / 100 Watt load = 1.48 Hrs calc'd run time. 1.48 Hrs x's .75 = 1.1 Hrs estimated run time. That's probably conservative so I might get a little more run time, and maybe not - see below on per cell minimums I use.

Don't forget, you should have a Lipo pack charger that balance charges. And I never run the packs below 3.3V per cell, usually about 3.6V per cell. In my tests, there really isn't much left below 3.6V. You can buy $5.00 - $10.00 digital, tiny self powered Voltmeters on Ebay and mount into the light's body to alert you when to shut it off. Example:

.ebay.com/itm/4-5V-30V-Green-Mini-Digital-Volt-Meter-No-need-Power-/170772333420?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c2d3 036c

Just be sure it's the self-powered ("needs no power") versions otherwise you'll have to power it with a separate power supply.

11.5 Amps is nothing even for one of your 4S/5000 packs. 25(C) x's 5(AH) = 125 Amps max load on a 25C rated pack. So 11.5 Amps is only 2.3C - a drop in the bucket. You'd probably get less than 25 minutes run time I'd guess. I've been using the Blue Lipo brand, they are fairly cheap. And of course, always triple check your final battery re-connections after charging. I use sticky Velcro to hold the batteries in-place. I also parallel balance charge the packs so they always start at exactly the same Voltage.

If you're not going to use the light/battery packs for a while, store them at 3.85 Volts per cell.
    Last edited by BVH; 02-01-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Enlightened

ok. managed to snag one of these here and modded it for hid using a 50w chinese hid kit. went well until i overdrived the 50w bulb with a 100w ballast
    for a minute or two. light wouldnt turn on anymore. after some investigation it seems i busted the 8050d transistor ( 1.5A ) in the pcb inside.
    will be buying a replacement transistor soon and hopefully this light would be brought back to life.

once i managed to get this thing online next would a 8400mah 4s2p lifepo pack.

Unenlightened

Newbie to forum-hope someone can help. I have a Jeep giant light that looks just like the giant light at Costco. I really like it but it needs a new bulb. I have not had luck finding one but it says CTU 16W 64000K 12VDC w/ #050401. It has the look of a fluorescent style bulb. Can anyone help this newbie?