DealExtreme        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starbucks

Default Starbucks

I'm addicted to starbucks haha..anyone else?

Default Re: Starbucks

Worked as an actual Italian-style barista for a year and I still love Starbucks. Their Caffe Verona coffee they sell in stores is one of my all time faves, it's one part Liberace and one part Clint Eastwood, the only coffee I care for black.

Also, if you'd like to make your own Starbucks drinks at home much more cheaply:

StarHalo's Cheap Mocha Latte

9oz milk
    3oz water
    1 tsp Medaglia D'Oro instant espresso
    ~1/4 cup chocolate syrup (suit to taste)
    ~1/2 tsp sugar (suit to taste)

Microwave water on high for 40 seconds in large mug, then add espresso powder and chocolate syrup. Bring milk to a boil in a quart pan, add to mug with sugar. Stir and serve. Makes one 12 oz serving.

The instant espresso is sold in many grocery/specialty/online stores for $3-4 for a small jar that will provide >12 servings; it's frequently found at Target.

StarHalo's Homemade Bottled Frappuccino

1/5 cup brewed coffee
    1 cup milk
    1 tsp sugar
    2 tblsp chocolate syrup

Brew coffee then chill in freezer 30-40 minutes. Mix all ingredients in a large glass. Makes one 10 oz serving.

The formula above (one part coffee to five parts milk) is closest to the original bottled mocha frappuccino product, being very mild and focusing mostly on the milk flavor. You can get the coffee and/or chocolate flavor much bolder to suit your taste - I prefer a nearly 1:1 mix with more chocolate and no sugar, which is quite strong.
    Last edited by StarHalo; 12-22-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Starbucks coffee is among the worst of the worst. Their coffee is thoroughly burned rendering their 'blend' of trash beans tasteless (improvement) and without any reason to endure swilling it down.

Starbucks pretty much serves America's need for another reason to legitimize getting fatter. If you like coffee get a nice light roast from your local small batch roaster or do it yourself.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by egrep View Post
    Their coffee is thoroughly burned
    Agree with this statement too, their bagged coffees are very inconsistent which is why I stick to their blended drinks most of the time; those use a pre-mixed base that doesn't rely on their beans.

Flashaholic*

Starbucks is horrible coffee.

For chain coffees, I like The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, and Caribou Coffee.
    There's more to a light than its output.

CPF Member 13...

Hey, c'mon folks, the OP is new here.

I will say that when I took a cross-country bicycle trip back in 2002, things were OK regarding coffee shops out here in the West, but once I got to the midwest there were very very few options in the small towns we were going through. Starbucks isn't my favorite place for coffee, but on the rare occasion that I saw one at least I could expect some consistency, and was much better than truck-stop coffee.

The best and the worst-ever coffee I've had has been in some of the small independent shops - you'd never know what you'd be getting.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 12-23-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Welcome to CPF!

Starbucks house drip coffee is acceptably warm and caffeinated.
    Got Biodiesel?

Flashaholic*

Venti Coffee Frappe...Oh Yea!!!!!!!!!
    BTW...The OP mentions being addicted to Starbucks, but does not reference coffee only.

+

I'v personally ground hundreds pounds of Starbucks beans if my life,...drink it every day
    {..lived in Portland in early 90s' ,, lots of coffee heads there}

Do a 50/50 grind of House Blend & Espresso Roast
    Get the House beans in the big bags @ $ams,,, & Espresso beans when its on sale at my local grocer..

Make strong coffee w/ bit of 1%,, that's it.
    Last edited by orbital; 12-23-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Hey, c'mon folks, the OP is new here.

I will say that when I took a cross-country bicycle trip back in 2002, things were OK regarding coffee shops out here in the West, but once I got to the midwest there were very very few options in the small towns we were going through. Starbucks isn't my favorite place for coffee, but on the rare occasion that I saw one at least I could expect some consistency, and was much better than truck-stop coffee.

The best and the worst-ever coffee I've had has been in some of the small independent shops - you'd never know what you'd be getting.
    Actually, I made a trip across America this summer as well. Didn't get a cup of coffee until a couple of days in, and decided to give truck stop coffee a chance. One of the things that totally floored me was the quality of the coffee at Pilot travel centers. Every stop had a bevy of different blends to choose from; consistent, mellow but not watery, and absurdly stocked condiments on the side. Not to mention if you get gas before you step in the store, you get a coffee discount. I never thought that I would gain a favorite truck stop, but Pilot changed my mind on that.

But i do agree that the best coffee can be found in the oddest places. I found a bookstore in Nebraska that might have created the best latte of my life.

Flashaholic

Hmmm...despite 4 or 5 people here who don't like it, Starbucks is HIGHLY successful as a company, so they must be giving people something that they want.

I'm not a coffee drinker. I go into Starbucks maybe twice a year. One of the things that always impresses me about Starbucks is their high standards for cleanliness. Around here, the Starbucks stores are always clean and well cared for. I'm a real freak about cleanliness in restaurants, and I feel like I could almost eat off of the floor at the local Starbucks--which is more than I can say for most other restaurants around here. That, at least, impresses me. Maybe it impresses others as well.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Qoose View Post
    Not to mention if you get gas before you step in the store, you get a coffee discount.
    ... and if you get gas after you step in the store, you get thrown out.
    Resistance is futile...

I like Starbucks because it´s a bit like with BK or McD.

They might not be the best around but you know you will get a sufferable coffee for your money rather than the dishwater many others call a coffee, especially in Germany, the USofA, Canada, UK, Ireland...

Exclusions are Portugal, Spain, France and Italy where it is, in contrast to the ones above, exactly the other way round.

Cheers

RBR

Flashaholic*

Hmm... two Portlanders have posted in this thread, and haven't mentioned the great coffee their city has to offer.

Maybe I'm thinking about the beer?
    Funniest CPF thread ever. I promise it'll make your day.

When touring the Kauai Coffee Plantation, their favorite saying was that they sold their rejects to Starbucks.
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by RBR View Post
    I like Starbucks because it´s a bit like with BK or McD.

They might not be the best around but you know you will get a sufferable coffee for your money rather than the dishwater many others call a coffee, especially in Germany, the USofA, Canada, UK, Ireland...

Exclusions are Portugal, Spain, France and Italy where it is, in contrast to the ones above, exactly the other way round.

Cheers

RBR
    I think the coffee "culture" is a bit different here than in US. Drip coffee in any kind of shop is uheard of here. Coffee is synonymous of spresso in cafes or bars and, if the one you make is average, you will lose lots of clients to the competition (and we have cafes/bars almost everywhere).

It's stronger too. It's not rare to see tourists asking for water to mix with a "normal" cafe. Portuguese is even stronger (and great, if not better, too).

Most of the people who are Starbucks clients in the few places you can find them are the kind of people who buy an iPhone just for the sake it is an iPhone (they want to look "cool" to others). Sad but true

Enlightened

I'm originally from Portland, too, and while I conceed there are many better independant coffee places to go to, my experience with Starbucks has been mostly positive. I never buy their beans to take home so I can't comment on the quality, but the drip coffee I've ordered in the Starbucks in the Nortwest has been consistently above average.
    Obviously, its a matter of preference, and Starbucks tends to offer quite strong coffee compared to some places.

Having traveled quite extensively in Asia where instant coffee is often prevalent, I have found Starbucks to be a reliable place for a good cup of coffee, even away from its homeground in the US. My only notably bad experience was at a Starbucks in NYC of all places, and the drip coffee I ordered was horribly burnt...I guess it served me right for not taking the time to locate a good independant shop in a city with so many other options...

Flashaholic*

Starbucks success relies on flooding local markets with their stores. Where I work, I have six Starbucks in approx. one sq. mile., not to mention the Starbucks that are in every Safeway grocery store and Target stores.

In the Bay Area, we have a small chain called Philz, which i like alot.
    There's more to a light than its output.

CPF Member 13...

Personally i buy Bustelo coffee at home. beats any other coffee I've ever had. Including the coffee in Italy, but maybe not Paris.

Another vote for Pilot truckstop coffee. They have plenty of choices and I can get the right mix of caf and decaf for my taste.

Starbucks is a coffee of last resort for me. It tastes burnt and actually a little 'dirty' to me, and there's something in there that really upsets my stomach. Yech!

I'm sure it's a matter of personal taste, but I like Starbucks. I agree it has a kind of earthy taste, but we Armenians like our coffee on the strong side.

Used love it but now find it very weak, starbucks on this side the pond seems be slightly stronger.

Find that most the starbucks coffee I have at home and make myself in the machine turn out lot nicer than the on in the shop.

I am just a coffeeholic

If you Armenians like your coffee on the 'strong' side, then you should avoid Starbucks (and Peets) like the plague. Over roasting reduces not only the caffeine but also the actual taste of the coffee. Starbucks 'blends' a lot of really crappy beans, over roasts them so they all taste the same and peddles that dark mess as 'coffee'. But it's mostly sold to people who are craving a hot chocolate and don't even know what coffee (is supposed to) taste like.

I'll bet some of your older relatives remember roasting their own and can tell you more.

Enjoy whatever you do enjoy of course. Just don't call it 'strong' when it aint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielight View Post
    I'm sure it's a matter of personal taste, but I like Starbucks. I agree it has a kind of earthy taste, but we Armenians like our coffee on the strong side.

Philz, in a word is 'amazing'. Like Frank Sinatra was born to sing, Phil was born to make coffee. One Cup At A Time. The man is an artist.
    Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    In the Bay Area, we have a small chain called Philz, which i like alot.

Flashaholic

If you Armenians like your coffee on the 'strong' side, then you should avoid Starbucks (and Peets) like the plague. Over roasting reduces not only the caffeine but also the actual taste of the coffee. Starbucks 'blends' a lot of really crappy beans, over roasts them so they all taste the same and peddles that dark mess as 'coffee'. But it's mostly sold to people who are craving a hot chocolate and don't even know what coffee (is supposed to) taste like.
    Pehaps Danielight was talking about boldness rather than caffeine content when he said 'Strong'. It is a fact, as egrep has said, that the longer you roast a bean, the more individual flavor characteristics and caffeine are lost and the bolder the flavor becomes.

As to the beans all tasting the same, I disagree. It all depends on how you brew it (I brew my own) and your own sense of taste. I enjoy coffee with a strong, bold flavor, not mega-caffeine content.

What is coffee supposed to taste like. That's like asking what is beer supposed to taste like. There are too many varieties what is real coffee is. It comes down to personal preference. Personally I think Guinness triple stout ale is disgusting but other think it is the pinnacle of brewing excellence.

Flashaholic

I like Starbucks. It still amazes me that if a person is seen with a cup from Starbucks the feeling is Oh...I see you went to Starbucks. Oh well whatever floats your boat.
    Christmas Blend is one of our favorites. This is just my opinion.

Flashaholic*

Starbucks coffee is among the worst of the worst. Their coffee is thoroughly burned rendering their 'blend' of trash beans tasteless (improvement) and without any reason to endure swilling it down.

Starbucks pretty much serves America's need for another reason to legitimize getting fatter. If you like coffee get a nice light roast from your local small batch roaster or do it yourself.

YMMV

well I was gonna say something against this, but then I remember my days in Italy sitting down to some nice espresso which
    felt like a kind beer and actually is an 'experience' rather than starbuck ' i need to get some caffeine in me' ...so I agree.

Just noticed: The new, redesigned Starbucks packaging for their coffees no longer includes a "best by" month, so now there's no way to tell how long a bag has been sitting on the shelf. I think I'll have to start look elsewhere for a new favorite blend..

Philz, in a word is 'amazing'.
    The "Jacobs Wonderbar" blend looks interesting, anyone tried this one, or have a Philz recommendation?

Flashaholic*

No, i support my local roaster/cafe.
    Starhucks roasts/burns their coffee the point of gagness.
    Do yourself a favor and juant on down to your local cafe and try a latte, thank me later.
    ETA: I am a coffee roaster .

Flashaholic*

I see Starbucks is trying to answer you critics with it's new 'blonde' melange a blah;

“It took eight months and more than 80 different recipe and roast iterations before we landed on the exact flavor profile our customers told us they were looking for,” said Brad Anderson, master roaster for Starbucks. “They told us they wanted a flavorful, lighter-bodied coffee that offers a milder taste and a gentle finish. Starbucks® Blonde Roast delivers.”". ..sounds scrumptious don't it?

Lol. I roast my own. I know better.
    originally cpf member #14 write me at gmail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast