USPS Tracking Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone having trouble pulling up info on tracking numbers? My packages haven't been updated in the past few days. It's likely due to the holidays, but I want to double check it's not just me.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered a QMiNi AA2 from 47s cyber tuesday. Got the light a week ago. But when I checked USPS tracking just now all I saw:

First-Class Mail International
Electronic Shipping Info Received
December 02, 2011

You are not alone.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
USPS tracking numbers are useless. Once I ordered something from a different country and that postal service's website and the USPS website each told me that the other service had my package for more than a week.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Useless. Poorly thought out. They only seem to report delivery...and by the time something has been delivered to me I already know where it is.

While the USPS Tracking is theatre we have had good results with ~3 day priority mail.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
USPS tracking service is better than it used to be, but it is nearly useless except for finding out if your package was delivered. FedEx and UPS have much better tracking.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in CA. Had a package sent from FL on the 21st and it arrived yesterday (23rd) shipped across CONUS. The tracking was finally updated this morning as delivered. Interestingly enough I had a package from OR sent out on the 20th, just one state over. I have yet to receive the package and tracking is still not updated.

Go figure!

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've consistently seen huge delays between the actual shipping and the tracking information. In at least one case I saw "electronic shipping info received" after the package had actually arrived. I suppose they need to appear competitive in the face of other companies that provide (more reliable) tracking information, but it seems like a waste of money if the information isn't up to date.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Priority Mail tracking is pretty good, but not as good as the private services. Has been slower to update this last week though. I was relieved to see this thread bc i have a couple very special items out there in postal space...

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
USPS tracking is really only delivery confirmation,at least that is what the shipper is purchasing.Depending on how the package is processed it may show hits where the item is processed but it really only offers ad-hoc tracking.UPS and Fed Ex offer actual tracking but shipping costs are usually higher as well.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
UPS and Fed Ex offer actual tracking but shipping costs are usually higher as well.

Shipping is a frustrating process. In the US, the choice is generally between having it in 2-3 days (USPS/priority) without knowing where it is or getting regular updates as it slogs its way from coast to coast over the interstate (UPS/Ground).

When ordering, I try to use USPS when the source is over 500 miles away, then just ignore tracking until/unless its overdue.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I generally use USPS priority but once in a while I will end up using UPS.Most of the time I have decent luck with the ad-hoc "tracking" on priority mail but not always.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The package I'm expecting is from Elektrolumens. I still have absolutely no information from USPS.:shakehead That's $330 down the drain if they lost my package.

OTOH I just sent a package this afternoon from my local post office, and the tracking info already states the item left Oakland for AZ.:wave:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good tracking can sometimes be just as frustrating. I remember a package via UPS from Las Vegas.
First it headed for Los Angeles (wrong direction guys).
Then it came up to Canada past my place to Mississagua for customs clearance and sorting.
Then it went past my place a second time to Stratford to be stored for the weekend.
Then it went past my place a third time to Stoney Creek for local sorting.
Finally on the truck for delivery (whew).

-

I think Canada post is shut down Saturday, Sunday (weekend), Monday (delayed Christmas day), Tuesday (delayed boxing day).
I have ordered some AW P14500 from 4sevens.ca but Eric won't be able to post it until Wednesday, delivery probably Thursday or Friday. And 4sevens.ca is less than 10 miles from me.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
To add insult to injury:

First Class Mail from CA to FL: Shipped 12/21/11, arrived <2 days during holiday operations. Tracking# 9101010521297056855472

Priority Mail from OR to CA: Shipped 12/20/11, lost somewhere in the 4th USPS dimension, AKA Portal to Hell (just like in Doom 3). Tracking# 9101010521297056855472

Empath

Flashaholic
Having the thread not become rants against the USPS, and personal problems with specific mailings is near impossible.

Please continue such in the thread Carrier Rants, in the MarketPlace.

We'll discontinue the discussion and rant(s) here.

Status
Not open for further replies.