SYSMAX Ind./Clike to find more about Nitecore flashlights!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tri XP-G / XP-E P60 Drop-In

Default Re: Tri XP-G / XP-E P60 Drop-In

Anyone get theirs yet?

Not yet...........

Karl

Not yet either...

Nothing for me as well.

Flashaholic

Hi Mac,

These look really sweet.

What flux bin and tint are the neutral leds (both XP-E and XP-G)?

Cheers,
    Nova

Has anyone recieved one yet? Can't wait to see beamshots!

Mac, just sent a PM your way to request one. Thanks!
    Last edited by Vernon; 02-24-2012 at 08:52 PM.
    ...and He separated the light from darkness. Check out my lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    Has anyone recieved one yet? Can't wait to see beamshots!

Mac, just sent a PM your way to request one. Thanks!
    I have a bunch of items shipping Monday. All of the drop-in orders up to a couple weeks ago will ship. The beam is identical to the Tri-EDC or the Modoo triple.

Mac
    www.macscustoms.com
    *Note* Shipping Insurance must be requested.

Quote Originally Posted by cmacclel View Post
    I have a bunch of items shipping Monday. All of the drop-in orders up to a couple weeks ago will ship. The beam is identical to the Tri-EDC or the Modoo triple.

Mac
    Whohoooooo!
    ...and He separated the light from darkness. Check out my lights.

Mac
    Mac,
    That's excellent news. Looking forward to it!
    Wilkey

Flashaholic*

The beam is identical to the Tri-EDC or the Modoo triple.

Mac
    Cool; does that include brightness? The Torchlab triple cree drop in says 800 lumens .... is this just an OTF vs emitter thing?

These look great!
    Last edited by Illumination; 02-27-2012 at 07:57 PM.
    I spend my days in the light thinking about flashlights in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by Illumination View Post
    Cool; does that include brightness? The Torchlab triple cree drop in says 800 lumens .... is this just an OTF vs emitter thing?

These look great!
    My drop in is brighter on one Li-Ion cell. The Torchlab is around 200 lumens brighter with 2 Li-Ions.

Mac
    www.macscustoms.com

any chance of adding a couple of 7135s as an extra upgrade option?
    Id be interested in ~4a XP-E

Quote Originally Posted by psychbeat View Post
    any chance of adding a couple of 7135s as an extra upgrade option?
    Id be interested in ~4a XP-E
    Sorry that will not be an option.

Mac
    www.macscustoms.com

One more ? - sorry to be a pain!
    Do u think it would be possible for someone to stack a couple more 7135s on the bottom?

Or have an expert modder here do it?

These look really nice btw and are a SUPER deal.

Thanks!

Just got mines today...

Initial impressions are that the build quality is fantastic. I know I'm being a little knitpicky, but the sharpie hand written description kind of takes away from the professional presentation...in a way, I prefer Gene Malkoff's hand engraving instead or simply leaving it blank. The driver board appears to be NANJG 105A 2800mA Linear Regulation Driver (good choice and very cost effective).

I couldn't get this to work in my Solarforce L2P with A001 Head, which was kind of a bummer...though I'm sure I could eventually with a proper conductive piece to make contact with the internal tube. I tried a couple different springs but it didn't work and I also wanted to use copper or aluminum foil so that it makes has better heat transfer. But I didn't have any easily at hand to work with so I gave up on my Solarforce L2P Lego at the moment.

I grabbed my Oveready bored Surefire C2 body tube, slapped an HA Z44 Head, Z41 stock tailcap on it, dropped in a Solarforce Protected 2400mah 18650 and it powered on...though with a Z41 twisty, kind of cumbersome to change modes and the neutral tint XP-G LEDs visually seemed a bit warmer than I was expecting. On high, it does put out a wall of light and I went out side and lit up the entire front of my neighbor's house across the street...but since a stock C2 really doesn't heatsink very well and I didn't use any aluminum foil, I can tell the output dims a little as it heats up. Oh and maybe a better battery I think would make a difference, not that the Solarforce 18650s are bad, just probably not as good as some of the more talked about higher end batteries like an AW.

In full honesty, I was sort of underwhelmed...but I think maybe I had high or unrealistic expectations. Since this is my first triple P60 dropin, maybe I didn't really know what I should expect. I really like the common smooth reflectored XM-L P60 dropins like the ones from Ultrafire, although cheap I think are a great value. I would like to see Mac make a TIR single XM-L dropin with the same driver and a tight optic (or tightest possible) and see how it would compare to this triple. I would also suggest perhaps providing a spring or some sort of contact washer that would make this dropin more compatible with other P60 flashlights would be a good idea.

All in all, I think this was a good first effort by Mac to bring a lower cost Triple LED P60 Dropin for us flashaholics!

Last edited by ace0001a; 03-03-2012 at 05:07 AM.

Thanks for the review ace. I reckon most of your apprehensions are outweighed by the price of mac's build, and id imagine the build quality (despite the marker pen) is probably top notch. This drop in isn't really about pure power - more about a decent upgrade path, as opposed to an expensive, over-powered option like everything else out there.

I could however be talking horse sh*t. I still need to order one!

I'd put a sticker on the drop-in but you cannot as the whole drop-in is sized for a super tight fit for the Surefire P60 Hosts. Also hand engraving the drop-in in my opinion is a poor choice as it causes metal to disperse and raise effecting the thermal path. So I felt a marker was the way to go. If people do not like the marker then I guess I do not have to mark them.

Also if you into *Throw* then do not look into any multiple led drop-in. Amazingly enough everyone that I showed the standard LED drop-in compared to this triple where amazed at the difference.

Mac
    Last edited by cmacclel; 03-03-2012 at 08:33 AM.
    www.macscustoms.com

Thanks for the quick look. This is promising and I've owned and operated a reasonable selection of D26-style drop-ins. I have an Oveready triple in neutral and the benchmark VanIsleDSM Quad so I'm very much looking forward to doing a little head-to-head testing.

Wilkey

I'd put a sticker on the drop-in but you cannot as the whole drop-in is sized for a super tight fit for the Surefire P60 Hosts. Also hand engraving the drop-in in my opinion is a poor choice as it causes metal to disperse and raise effecting the thermal path. So I felt a marker was the way to go. If people do not like the marker then I guess I do not have to mark them.

Also if you into *Throw* then do not look into any multiple led drop-in. Amazingly enough everyone that I showed the standard LED drop-in compared to this triple where amazed at the difference.

Mac
    I've seen other custom dropin makers put stickers on theirs, though I always thought that would affect thermal conductivity as well. I understand your perspective on the engraving as well...I was simply saying given the choice of how I'd like a custom dropin to be easily labeled, my preference goes to how Gene Malkoff has always done it with hand engraving. Now of course it the added cost was reasonable say if a large batch was made to sell, laser engraving would be really cool and look super professional.

As for throw, I'm not really someone who's into long distance lighting which is why I don't have a single aspheric lensed flashlight. I do however have a preference for moderate throw as I see that as the best of both worlds (maybe it's the Gemini in me). With an XP-G or XM-L in a small reflector or optic, I know even moderate throw can be a challenge but I guess the effect I was expecting was something like what the previously famous 3xAAA Coast LED Lenser flashlight did where you have this concentrated wall of light. Differencewise between a triple XP-G/XP-E TIR droping and a standard single emitter reflectored dropin is definitely an appreciable difference...though I would respectfully debate that it's not so much compared to a good single XM-L reflectored dropin...still a difference, yes but not substantial in my opinion.

Like a said Mac, I still believe a you've made a good custom dropin here and I definitely appreciate what it brings to the table with solid performance, excellent build quality and most of all excellent value relative to other triple dropins on the market. I think with myself since I've never owned a triple D26/P60 dropin before nor have I ever seen one in action, that I simply miscalculated my expectations...so I was simply being honest when I said I was underwhelmed and also realizing I probably should've went for the cool white instead. I may try a your triple XP-E dropin when I get some more $$$. Though like I said, I would love to see you put out a single XM-L dropin with the same driver and dropin housing as I've seen 20mm optics that should fit available on the market.

Thanks for the review. How did i miss this? Great price for a triple! I wonder if it would be possible for future Quads or Trips with higher drive current, like 4.2A or 5.6A that Kenji/Jesse uses?

Quote Originally Posted by yifu View Post
    Thanks for the review. How did i miss this? Great price for a triple! I wonder if it would be possible for future Quads or Trips with higher drive current, like 4.2A or 5.6A that Kenji/Jesse uses?
    I asked Vinhnguyen56 and he said he could stack some more 7135s no problem
    Not sure how much he would charge tho.
    Mac said no a few posts up when I asked.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by ace0001a View Post

I know I'm being a little knitpicky, but the sharpie hand written description kind of takes away from the professional presentation...

Have you tried removing the ink using: nail polish remover, paint thinner or rubbing alcohol? It may come off.

Quote Originally Posted by bla2000 View Post
    Have you tried removing the ink using: nail polish remover, paint thinner or rubbing alcohol? It may come off.
    Yeah it does...that was simply part of my loose review of the module.

Enlightened

Mac

Mac, did the drop-ins ship as described? Has anyone other than ace0001a received one?

Quote Originally Posted by hoplite View Post
    Mac, did the drop-ins ship as described? Has anyone other than ace0001a received one?
    10 drop-ins shipped. If you placed an order and have not received your drop-in I would suggest youd send me a PM. When you place an order and do not include your CPF name in the notes section I have no idea who you are

Mac
    www.macscustoms.com

I received mine and have been more than happy with it but alas, a slug in reporting on it.....sigh...

Karl

Enlightened

10 drop-ins shipped. If you placed an order and have not received your drop-in I would suggest youd send me a PM. When you place an order and do not include your CPF name in the notes section I have no idea who you are

Mac
    Thanks for the quick response. PM sent.

PM sent as requested.

Wilkey

I think I'll just wait till Monday.

PM sent in behalf of a friend.