Foxfury Scout
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I return my green-tinted Quark X 123^2?

Default Should I return my green-tinted Quark X 123^2?

edit: Two months have passed. i've concluded that the greenish tint at lower outputs is just a natural effect of runnng an X-ML emitter at low voltages. There's really no fault with the flashlight or the emitter, and I'm quite happy with them both. (End of edit.)

First off, I'm a flashlight newbie, and this is primarily a question about consumer etiquette.

Yesterday, I got my first light with a price tag above $20, the Quark X 123^2 (regular) cool white, for use as a primary EDC light. I've carried it for about 24 hours, using it for various around-the-home tasks (and a little white wall hunting).

The build, output, and UI all leave me perfectly satisfied; the tint, however, does not. It's noticeably green, especially on lower output levels. It's such an irksome thing that I have found myself reaching for the Streamlight Stylus Pro as often as the quark, just to use the light with the better tint.

On the other hand, many members have posted in other threads that the manufacturers don't really have that much control over the less-than-ideal greenish and purplish tints. Some have suggested that it is simply a matter of lottery, and consumers must simply live with their undesirably tinted lights.

I have a hard time accepting that a $70 "cool white" light should arrive green and that I must simply deal with it. But, I don't want to be unfair to a reputable manufacturer either. So, I will leave it up to the advice of the experts. Do I return the unpleasantly tinted Quark? Or, do I suck it up and keep it?
    Last edited by Farlark; 02-28-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Default Re: Should I return my green-tinted Quark X 123^2?

Did you get it from one of the manufacturers/dealers on CPFMP?

Bill

I have a distinct feeling we are all going to have to live with a greenish tint from now on.

Both my Quark X AA2 Neutral (Cree XML LED) and Quark MiNi AA2 Neutral (Cree XPG LED) I got this month has a greenish tint. Not too noticeable on turbo/high but definitely in the lower modes.

I bought 3 Philips 'Bright White' light bulbs (Lumileds Rebel LED) earlier this month and all 3 have the greenish tint. (The remote phosphor is lime green instead of yellow!!!)

I suspect the LED manufacturers are switching to a new type of phosphor.

This is about the 4th thread that mentions the green tint this week.

Bill, I got the light from the 4Sevens website. I've already contacted them about another problem with the light.

LEDNinja, thanks for your input. Over the last two days the Quark had grown on me and I had decided to keep it. Unfortunately, tonight it smells like burning electronics and no longer works. Looks like it's going back to 4Sevens anyway . I hear their CS is excellent though, so I'm looking forward to another Quark soon.

Flashaholic*

Got lots of green tinted lights lately. Even my 2 hi cri preons is slightly on the green side. Not so mutch that it becomes annoying, but almost annoying. I have had bad luck with the xp-g lights (exept v10r ti, it's really white), and good luck with xp-e lights (all have had really nice tints).

I would send it back if it's extremly green. You won't be the first to rma a light based on "extreme tints".

Everybody go outside and shine their green tinted lights at the green grass in the lawn. That should make one feel better.

Under those conditions:
    The pure white lights leave a blue haze.
    The neutrals make the scene look dead.
    The warms are too yellow.

Flashaholic*

For less chance of "losing" the tint lottery (by getting a yucky green) look at those manufacturers that seem to only buy emitters within a fairly tight tint range. Most of my Zebralight, ShiningBeam, Maratac and ITP lights have nice "white" cool white LEDs.

Like many others, I've had less luck with one common brand, in fact a couple of them were quite unpleasant to use outdoors, all the colours seemed off. These days I only buy that brand secondhand these days, and I quiz the seller about tint before buying (thank goodness for the honesty of CPFers).
    WTB Any Brand locking pliers multitool, Kershaw Bit Kit, leather sheath

Oh great. I have a Regular 123 R5 no clip inbound. Blue tint irritates me. Not sure what green will do.

Maybe since my luck is sort of on a roll I won't get violent green......
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by LEDninja View Post
    Everybody go outside and shine their green tinted lights at the green grass in the lawn.
    It's 40 cm with snow outside. Im making everything green again, almost like summer Nice tip hehe.
    Wont see the sun for some months now. I miss summer, and a green lawn

I think it's perfectly acceptable to return it,i buy eagletacs as they pay extra for leds without the green tints, and all of the ones I've had have been pure white, paying seventy dollars for a torch and the maufacturer not doing this in my opinion is not on at all, hence why I don't buy them

Banned

huh. i would agree that my quark X aa² is greenish, especially on the lower levels. then again, i got it for an okay price during black friday blitz weekend sale -- since i didnt want to pay the full price for a neutralwhite or highcri. i pay for what i get (harhar).
    i also agree that my Eagtac T20 (XML 720led lumens) has *the* perfect coolwhite tint: no greenish, no blueish/purplish tint -- and it does feel freezing cold brrrh.

i do have other XPG R5 lights which are horribly greenish (to a ridiculous degree) but it's not the quark.

so my recommendation is: whoever is willing to pay full price, should order the NeutralWhite or HighCRI from the very beginning --- i mean that's why 4Sevens offered them in the first place: so that buyers have that nice tint option.

Digging deep into the diplomacy bucket ...

The so called "tint lottery" is not as much of a mystery as it is made out to be. There are certain manufacturers that go out of their way to bring to market good tints, and because of their efforts they largely succeed. You can't please all of the people all of the time, but if you spend some time reading on the forum there are some very clear pictures painted if you really listen to what people are saying (not just hear what you want to hear). I'm not saying there aren't still some fuzzy spots, but the general landscape does emerge.

In my experience it is largely impossible to find an XP-G S2 or XM-L T6/U2 that doesn't have at least some faint hint of green in it - usually just surrounding the corona. But it IS possible to find high binned lights that you turn on and don't immediately think "ugh, it's green".

All that said, I agree it is perfectly acceptable to return it. I have too many times waited too long and told myself "it's not so bad". If it bothers you now it will always bother you and you should return it and get something you are happy with. I would advise not to just eat it because the general opinion on CPF is that the light manufacturer is "reputable". Your opinion is more valid than the general forum opinion because only you have to live with it

Just a quick note. My Quark 123 R5 arrived today. So far I see no tint problem. Will see more tonight.

PBJS

Quote Originally Posted by LEDninja View Post
    I have a distinct feeling we are all going to have to live with a greenish tint from now on.
    I test fire dozens of lights a week and still have not seen a green XPG in person. I consider it brand specific.

Flashaholic

I just returned a Quark 123^2 because of the green tint. I have
    I EDC a Quark AA^1 that is pure white on all levels. The replacement
    for the 123^2 is a Pd32 that came today. Nice and white.

Quote Originally Posted by Farlark View Post
    I have a hard time accepting that a $70 "cool white" light should arrive green
    I'm not going to tell you whether or not I think it is appropriate to return the displeasing light; besides which nobody should care much about my take on ethics in the first place.

But it is important to realize that the color temperature of an LED (cool/6000K, neutral/4000K, warm/2700K) does not inherently tell anything precise about the tint. It's not like a hot wire, which is close to a black body radiator and has a well defined correlation. If you look at this chart http://imageshack.us/f/199/ansiwhite.jpg/ for example, you'll see that the 6000K line is greenish at one end and rosy at the other end. Similarly the 4000K line goes through yellowish-orangeish, through orangeish, to orangeish-rosyish, and the 2700K line goes from pretty pure orange to orange with a hint of rose. And you can extend those lines beyond their arbitary limits to encompass even more tint variation. The whole length of an individual color temperature line is exactly the same color temperature. It seems notable that the cool line does encompass more tint variation, though.

This chart http://imageshack.us/f/30/creexlampcwfull.jpg/ is good because it shows that the tint bins for cool white have a lot of variation even within single bins, so even if you can buy a specific bin, all of your sample might fall on one edge or another, or vary all throughout the bin from individual LED to LED.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by kreisler View Post
    huh. i would agree that my quark X aa² is greenish, especially on the lower levels. then again, i got it for an okay price during black friday blitz weekend sale -- since i didnt want to pay the full price for a neutralwhite or highcri. i pay for what i get (harhar).
    i also agree that my Eagtac T20 (XML 720led lumens) has *the* perfect coolwhite tint: no greenish, no blueish/purplish tint -- and it does feel freezing cold brrrh.

i do have other XPG R5 lights which are horribly greenish (to a ridiculous degree) but it's not the quark.

so my recommendation is: whoever is willing to pay full price, should order the NeutralWhite or HighCRI from the very beginning --- i mean that's why 4Sevens offered them in the first place: so that buyers have that nice tint option.
    I must disagree with the notion that buying a nw will eliminate any chance of getting a green tinted light. My quark x 123/2 neutral is quite green. Sometimes one doesn't notice the tint of their light until it's running side by side with another light. But with this one, I can see the green tint on all levels but high with no other light to compare it to.

Quote Originally Posted by wrencher View Post
    I just returned a Quark 123^2 because of the green tint. I have
    I EDC a Quark AA^1 that is pure white on all levels. The replacement
    for the 123^2 is a Pd32 that came today. Nice and white.
    Did the PD32 have OP reflector? How does the beam look?
    I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness. Jesus Christ - John 12:46

Flashaholic

Smooth reflector. Beam shape like the Pd31 only no rings. A well
    Defined hot spot and smooth corona. Nice and white on all levels.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by wrencher View Post
    Smooth reflector. Beam shape like the Pd31 only no rings. A well
    Defined hot spot and smooth corona. Nice and white on all levels.
    Same with my PD32, nice and white.

Almost all 4Sevens lights are like this and they refuse to do anything about and talk to you like your stupid for worrying about it so I wont buy there stuff unless its the neutral or warm stuff.
    Last edited by ScaryFatKidGT; 12-31-2011 at 08:34 AM.
    Fenix LD01 R4, E05 R4, PD31, TK20, TK35, E11, Jetbeam BC25, RRT-0, Klarus NT20, iTP A3 R5, A3 Ti S2, 4Sevens Preon 1, Quark X 123^2, Sunwayman V10R Ti, Surefire G2X Tactical, ThruNite TN31, Mag-Lite XL50, Mag 2D XP-E

Flashaholic*

I couldn't agree that "almost all" 4sevens lights are green. Out of my small sample (6 lights) I got one that was very green, one that was a bit green, one that was slightly green and three that were a very nice "white" white (note that the "white" ones were all purchased from CPFM secondhand after asking the vendors what tint the LED was).
    WTB Any Brand locking pliers multitool, Kershaw Bit Kit, leather sheath

Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
    I test fire dozens of lights a week and still have not seen a green XPG in person. I consider it brand specific.
    Have you tried any with the S2 bin LED. They seem to be the ones with the green problems. Limited run specific. Same limited run over many models.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregozedobe View Post
    I couldn't agree that "almost all" 4sevens lights are green. Out of my small sample (6 lights) I got one that was very green, one that was a bit green, one that was slightly green and three that were a very nice "white" white (note that the "white" ones were all purchased from CPFM secondhand after asking the vendors what tint the LED was).
    In my experience I agree that almost all 4Sevens lights are green to some extent. (Which i think is a poor show for supposedly quality lights!)

In actual fact the lights you bought new were ALL green to some extent.

The secondhand ones you bought were white but only because you specifically asked the seller before buying!
    So really they could have been the only 4Sevens light that the seller had that were not green for all we know!
    Last edited by 1jono; 01-01-2012 at 10:20 AM.

I'm in the process of returning a 4Sevens Quark X 123-2 Tactical that I recently purchased from GoingGear. I really tried to get used to the greenish tint, but in the end I decided I couldn't live with it.

I noticed a few posts on the forums indicating that EagleTac goes to extra lengths to pick the emitters they use to avoid the green tint. After reading quite a few positive comments about their lights, I went ahead and ordered a P20C2 MKII XM-L from GoingGear (I still wanted to give them my business!). Thanks to their super quick shipping, I'm hoping to have the light in my hot little hands tomorrow!

Thanks,
    Mike

I can almost guarantee you will love the tint, had 9 through my hands now all been perfect

I've come to think that my 123 R5 does have a bit of green. Not enough to bother me thank goodness!

HOWEVER> for daylight use ie: inside a building or under a hood I find that my old Soldier P2D is actually better....

Click bump compared to Click bump bump bump and maybe even one more bump!

The Quark absolutely ROCKS around the house and at night when I don't need so much light!

PBJS

Flashaholic*

I thought we finished all our pea soup

I still own a old LED light with a Luxeon K2 LED that's green. Then the XP-G S2s came around ... now the R5s? My Quark 123^2 looks cool white to me - no hint of green. Then again, I bought it about a year and a half ago.

Talking Re: Should I return my green-tinted Quark X 123^2?

I recently purchased a Quark MiniX-123 with XM-L T6. All of the negative comments about green tint caused some concern, until I actually started using it to walk my dogs at night. The greenish tint actually makes things look better in those circumstances. So my Q MiniX is a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by mshinvill View Post
    I'm in the process of returning a 4Sevens Quark X 123-2 Tactical that I recently purchased from GoingGear. I really tried to get used to the greenish tint, but in the end I decided I couldn't live with it.

I noticed a few posts on the forums indicating that EagleTac goes to extra lengths to pick the emitters they use to avoid the green tint. After reading quite a few positive comments about their lights, I went ahead and ordered a P20C2 MKII XM-L from GoingGear (I still wanted to give them my business!). Thanks to their super quick shipping, I'm hoping to have the light in my hot little hands tomorrow!

Thanks,
    Mike
    I've seen green in the few XM-L T6 dropins I've had, as well as in the XP-G R4 "neutral" drop-ins I've had. Unfortunately, too, I've got the same green gremlin in my new EagleTac D25LC2, which to me looks green on all levels except "turbo" when indoors. It isn't nearly as bothersome outdoors, though.

I've had a few other EagleTac neutral-tinted lights in the past, all I believe, using the XP-E emitter. Tints were great, no green, not too much yellow, not too brown like some warms. I've been reminded that unless the manufacturer is specifying the TINT Bin as well as the FLUX bin, even if you order a "neutral" or "warm" you really have no idea what you're going to get. I forgot this, having had all my neutral tint lights for awhile containing XP-E Q3 5As (which I really like) or something very close to it. To then get a "neutral" and find a big pistachio colored hotspot on the wall is really unnerving.
    If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. -Unknown