The Fenix-Store
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 209

Thread: Best rechargeable "D" cell

  1. #31
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    652

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCT View Post
    Your reply to my quote might have gotten deleted by accident or something
    Must have fumble fingered it.

  2. #32

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    Wow that's good news! Maybe the other user had a problem with one of his batteries and that's why they didn't work.

    Could you perhaps try a runtime test with your TK70 on turbo mode and see how long it takes until the protection circuits kick in and the light turns off? You could submerge half the TK70 in cool water or something so the light doesn't get very hot. THat's what I've done with all my Fenix lights when doing runtime tests on my Eneloop and Imedion AAs, and 18650s. The lights are cool to the touch in the water once the light kicks down to a lesser mode.

    If you actually get about an hour runtime on the Novae batteries I'll pull the trigger for a TK70 and those batteries ASAP. I'll have to make an adapter to charge the Novae 32650s in my PIla IBC charger.

  3. #33

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    I put Imedion cells from Lighthound in my TK70 after using some old, cheap rechargeables. The Imedion cells are wonderful. They last a long time, and they don't lose much energy after storing them for awhile. The Imedion cells brought new life to my TK70. It's a new light again. I use a Maha charger.

  4. #34
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    652

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCT View Post
    Wow that's good news! Maybe the other user had a problem with one of his batteries and that's why they didn't work.

    Could you perhaps try a runtime test with your TK70 on turbo mode and see how long it takes until the protection circuits kick in and the light turns off? You could submerge half the TK70 in cool water or something so the light doesn't get very hot. THat's what I've done with all my Fenix lights when doing runtime tests on my Eneloop and Imedion AAs, and 18650s. The lights are cool to the touch in the water once the light kicks down to a lesser mode.

    If you actually get about an hour runtime on the Novae batteries I'll pull the trigger for a TK70 and those batteries ASAP. I'll have to make an adapter to charge the Novae 32650s in my PIla IBC charger.
    Unfortunately I don't have time to babysit the light to see when it kicks off the Turbo mode.

  5. #35
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    652

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    Quote Originally Posted by HotWire View Post
    I put Imedion cells from Lighthound in my TK70 after using some old, cheap rechargeables. The Imedion cells are wonderful. They last a long time, and they don't lose much energy after storing them for awhile. The Imedion cells brought new life to my TK70. It's a new light again. I use a Maha charger.
    Hotwire,
    If I already had the Imedions I would use them but they are over priced and not the best quality D cells out there.

  6. #36

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    Quote Originally Posted by 357mag1 View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have time to babysit the light to see when it kicks off the Turbo mode.
    I don't want to buy these cells and have the light kick down from turbo to high in anything less than 35 minutes at least.

  7. #37

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCT View Post
    I don't want to buy these cells and have the light kick down from turbo to high in anything less than 35 minutes at least.
    I would say just remove all doubt and get either the Tenergy Centuras or the Premiums. Cant go wrong with either.

    JD

  8. #38

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    But I REALLY want a shorter, lighter flashlight. Plus I would only have to pay for the batteries since I can fabricate adapters to get them working in my Pila IBC.

    If I go the D cell route, and plus a charger, it's going to be more expensive, and the flashlight will be heavier and longer.

  9. #39

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    This is a super deal and super hard to pass up.. he has 81 of them left (show 81 sets of 8)... He also has another auction with 4 for 15.00 in case you dont need 8

    Also posting in the good deals section

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/360432953035...84.m1423.l2649

    If this isnt allowed I apologize in advance and please remove the link

  10. #40

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    So these are not LSD. I wonder how long the cells will have a charge until dead? If I charge them in early March should I expect them to be completely depleted in early April? I don't want to charge them each month just to keep them from being empty (which damages the cell, correct?)

  11. #41

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    Just bought a quantity of 2 (16 total batteries). First I went online and found the Tenergy data sheet of the batteries. They are supposed to have 65% or more charge remaining after one year, stored at 20C. That's LSD enough for me. Ever six months I do the "conditioning mode" for my LSD AA and AAA batteries anyway. That is an insane price!

  12. #42
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    652

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    I bought 16 of them too and have been performing discharge tests as a way of cycling the batteries. They seem to be averaging between 7500 - 8100mah. They might improve some but I'm pretty happy with these cells. They rival the Tenergy Premiums for maintaining voltage under a load.

    Capacity doesn't hardly seem affected whether discharging at 2amps, 3amps or 5amps.

    I recently let some Premium cells sit for just over 6 weeks. The static voltage measured right around 1.3v which was the lowest of the cells I tested (all others were LSD). The Premiums had only lost about 100mah each from freshly charged tests, about the same as the LSD cells. Best part was they easily beat all other cells in maintaining a higher voltage under load even the Centuras (second best).

    Hopefully these cells perform in a similiar manner.
    I have some setting charged on the shelf at the moment and will test them in 6 weeks or so.

  13. #43

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    Thanks for doing all these tests 357mag1. So the ones that I (and you) just bought are actually just an 8,000 mah battery or less on average? I was expecting more. The Tenergy data sheet says min capacity is 9000 mah. You mentioned though that under load they rival the Tenergy Premiums. Under what load specifically? I will now be purchasing the Fenix TK70. So that will be the "load" that all four of these batteries (in a series) will experience. Which is quite a lot I think. Do you have any tests of the capacites under a load like that?

  14. #44

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCT View Post
    Thanks for doing all these tests 357mag1. So the ones that I (and you) just bought are actually just an 8,000 mah battery or less on average? I was expecting more. The Tenergy data sheet says min capacity is 9000 mah. You mentioned though that under load they rival the Tenergy Premiums. Under what load specifically? I will now be purchasing the Fenix TK70. So that will be the "load" that all four of these batteries (in a series) will experience. Which is quite a lot I think. Do you have any tests of the capacites under a load like that?
    Using a Triton 2 EQ charger at 3a dischage I found these to be in between 8000-9000mah, when they charge they are about the same.. I have just finished a direct drive SST-90 mag 3d and these are able to provide 10.2-10.5a without any trouble...(using a clamp meter, measurement taken just before the led)

    I have purchased at least 32 of these, 16 of which have made it here and are working just fine, the other 16 are in the mail...


    Just bought a quantity of 2 (16 total batteries). First I went online and found the Tenergy data sheet of the batteries. They are supposed to have 65% or more charge remaining after one year, stored at 20C. That's LSD enough for me. Ever six months I do the "conditioning mode" for my LSD AA and AAA batteries anyway. That is an insane price!
    Yes it is.. these are about 10 bucks each from the normal suppliers..

    I have bought from this guy before, he is a liquidator, so once these are gone he wont get anymore.. (at least previous experiences with him anyways)

  15. #45
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    652

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCT View Post
    Thanks for doing all these tests 357mag1. So the ones that I (and you) just bought are actually just an 8,000 mah battery or less on average? I was expecting more. The Tenergy data sheet says min capacity is 9000 mah. You mentioned though that under load they rival the Tenergy Premiums. Under what load specifically? I will now be purchasing the Fenix TK70. So that will be the "load" that all four of these batteries (in a series) will experience. Which is quite a lot I think. Do you have any tests of the capacites under a load like that?
    So far the highest I've seen is 8100mah and I'm using a Triton 2 EQ as well. My batteries arrived with static voltage readings around .9V and some batteries had less than 7000mah capacity on the first cycle. They have all climbed above 7500mah after a couple of cycles (not gentle ones either). With proper cycling they may continue to improve.

    The highest discharge rate I can do is 5amps (Not on the Triton). I've only done a couple of the Premiums and these Standard (Blue) batteries at that rate and so far the Standard batteries seem to be holding right with the Premiums.

    Tailcap current with 4 Premium D cells is right at 6.4amps in my TK70s so you should get over an hour of runtime.
    Last edited by 357mag1; 02-12-2012 at 06:33 AM.

  16. #46

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    Quote Originally Posted by HIDC View Post
    Tried Nexcell 9000mAH. Complete garbage from Thomas Distrib. They took care of it well though. Instead, I ordered in a bunch of 2AA->D adapters and that works well in the TK70 for playing.
    I am interested in the AA adapters to substitute for D cells in several 2D Maglights with Malkoff Dropin. The adapters you spoke of are 2AA in each adapter or 1AA. Also, are you pleased with the result using the adapters. Thanks a bunch.
    Wheel

  17. #47

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    The Tenergy datasheet says to charge their D cell at 1 amp for 16 hours. Isn't that the "soft charge" mode of the Maha MH-C808M charge at 1 amp? And the regular charge at 2 amp? I thought I read somewhere else on this forum (maybe the TK70 thread) that someone said to use the 2 amp charge for D cells, not the 1 amp charge. ANy thoughts?

  18. #48

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCT View Post
    The Tenergy datasheet says to charge their D cell at 1 amp for 16 hours. Isn't that the "soft charge" mode of the Maha MH-C808M charge at 1 amp? And the regular charge at 2 amp? I thought I read somewhere else on this forum (maybe the TK70 thread) that someone said to use the 2 amp charge for D cells, not the 1 amp charge. ANy thoughts?
    A general rule of thumb is to charge any NiMH at 0.5C, in this case that is a 5a rate. I know that they will need cycling (normally) before reaching max capacity (at least when they have been sitting for so long) I wonder if the 1a for 16hrs was the initial charge and then you could go to the 0.5C charge.. I have read somewhere these cells can handle up to 8.0a charge rate...

  19. #49
    Flashaholic* Russel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    583

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    I've noticed a couple 10,000mAh NiMH D cell manufactures recommend about 1A for 16 hours as the standard charge rate, and 2A for 7 hours for fast charging. Tenergy recommend 950mA for 16 hours as standard and 1.9A for 7 hours as fast charge. I would be reluctant to charge those cells at 5A. I'm thinking that because of the relatively small surface area with respect to the capacity of these NiMH D cells they can't dissipate heat as well as AA or AAA cells and the 0.5C charge rate may be too high.

  20. #50
    Flashaholic chewy78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    wi
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    Quote Originally Posted by drmalenko View Post
    This is a super deal and super hard to pass up.. he has 81 of them left (show 81 sets of 8)... He also has another auction with 4 for 15.00 in case you dont need 8

    Also posting in the good deals section

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/360432953035...84.m1423.l2649

    If this isnt allowed I apologize in advance and please remove the link
    i bought 12 of them, might buy another 8 of them though.

  21. #51

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    So it is perfectly fine to charge these D cells in the Maha MH-C808M at the standard rate (2,000 mah) instead of the "soft" mode (1,000 mah)?

    I'm thinking of maybe doing two "conditioning" modes per D cell battery in the MH-C808M (to break them in) and then doing a discharge test on my MH-C9000 with modified adapters to charge D-cells. I'm not sure what the maximum discharge rate is for the C9000. That should tell me the capacity of each cell, correct?

  22. #52
    Flashaholic* hank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Berkeley CA
    Posts
    1,536

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    I'm puzzled looking Tenergy's products page:
    http://www.tenergy.com/Site/D-NiMH are their button top consumer cells.

    Are the blue button top 10,000mah D cells with the big lower case "e" on them an older design, or am I missing something?
    Last edited by hank; 02-12-2012 at 05:44 PM.

  23. #53
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    Great thread. I was wondering about D cells too.

  24. #54
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    652

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCT View Post
    So it is perfectly fine to charge these D cells in the Maha MH-C808M at the standard rate (2,000 mah) instead of the "soft" mode (1,000 mah)?

    I'm thinking of maybe doing two "conditioning" modes per D cell battery in the MH-C808M (to break them in) and then doing a discharge test on my MH-C9000 with modified adapters to charge D-cells. I'm not sure what the maximum discharge rate is for the C9000. That should tell me the capacity of each cell, correct?
    Unless i needed them in a hurry I would charge at the slower rate. The faster you charge a cell the more likely you are to shorten the life span.
    I would definitely condition them at least once and twice would probably be better if you have the time.

    The C9000 has a max discharge rate of 1amp and yes it should give you the capacity.

  25. #55
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    652

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    I'm puzzled looking Tenergy's products page:
    http://www.tenergy.com/Site/D-NiMH are their button top consumer cells.

    Are the blue button top 10,000mah D cells with the big lower case "e" on them an older design, or am I missing something?
    Yest the Blue cells are the older design. They appear to still be available on all-battery.com but at pretty much the same price I would get the Premiums.
    Last edited by 357mag1; 02-12-2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Spelling

  26. #56

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    Quote Originally Posted by 357mag1 View Post
    Unless i needed them in a hurry I would charge at the slower rate. The faster you charge a cell the more likely you are to shorten the life span.
    I would definitely condition them at least once and twice would probably be better if you have the time.

    The C9000 has a max discharge rate of 1amp and yes it should give you the capacity.
    For the C808M, should I do the "conditioning mode" with the "soft" mode? Apparently you can do both with this charger? That supposedly takes waaayy too long from what I've read for D cells. Since the capacity is much higher on D cells does it really matter if I just do it in normal mode?

    Also, doing two "conditioning mode" cycles for each battery won't be harmful to the battery, will it?

    Does the 808M cycle when I insert a battery (charge if needed, then discharge, charge) or does it just charge until the battery is fully charged? I want to do some cycling.
    Last edited by CyberCT; 02-12-2012 at 07:43 PM.

  27. #57

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    Quote Originally Posted by 357mag1 View Post
    Yest the Blue cells are the older design. The appear to still be available on all-battery.com but at pretty much the same price I would get the Premiums.
    Tenergy seems to be discontinuing these D cells. The ebay link in this thread has a great deal on them.

  28. #58
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    652

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCT View Post
    For the C808M, should I do the "conditioning mode" with the "soft" mode? Apparently you can do both with this charger? That supposedly takes waaayy too long from what I've read for D cells. Since the capacity is much higher on D cells does it really matter if I just do it in normal mode?

    Also, doing two "conditioning mode" cycles for each battery won't be harmful to the battery, will it?

    Does the 808M cycle when I insert a battery (charge if needed, then discharge, charge) or does it just charge until the battery is fully charged? I want to do some cycling.
    I don't have an C808M yet (I should in a few more days) so have no experience to answer questions relating to that unit.
    Best for batteries when conditioning to use a slow charge and discharge. 2000mah AAs take over 30 hours on the C9000 if I remember correctly.

    If you are gettiing 16 cells mark each cell and charge them all. Throw 12 of them, 4 at a time in the TK70 and play around with it for 15 minutes with each set. Charge those twelve up again and start the slow conditioning cycle on the other 4. That should keep you in power until they complete. Then repeat the process until you have conditioned them all.

  29. #59

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    I just bought one too. Hopefully this charger, the batteries, and the TK70 will arrive this week.

  30. #60
    Flashaholic* hank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Berkeley CA
    Posts
    1,536

    Default Re: Best rechargeable "D" cell

    uh, oh: an earlier CPF thread:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post3561799
    "Maha MH-C808M Charger Melted! What Now??
    When I was researching this charger, I found two reviews about it catching on fire..."
    One of them with Tenergy 10,000 NiMH D cells.

    Of course there's always going to be one or two problems out of tens of thousands.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •