pitch black submarine control room (red light)

dave black

Newly Enlightened
what is the lowest output red light out there? the red leds you see on most lights are too bright...i had a cheap wal-mart light with one red led and still had to cover it with my hand...i only need this thing to throw about 6 inches to 1 foot...super dim

nelamvr6

Newly Enlightened
I'm sorry I can't help with a recommendation, but I was wondering if you could answer a question that I've always had: Why do they rig for red on submarines? I could understand why it's necessary on a surface ship, but why on a submarine? You are underwater, right? There are no windows, right?

Not trying to troll, I've just always been curious. TIA.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Dave. If you want a serious quality, won't fail, etc., check out the L1-Red if you can find one. It takes 1 cr123 lithium, so the battery won't fail you. While it does have two setting (lo-high), and since it will run on even the lowest voltage CR123, the low can be adjusted merely by putting a weaker cell in it. My L1 red ran for 2000 hours, and I finally decided to shut-it off. I could barely read with it at that stage, but I could. That just goes to show you how long it will run on low batteries...so, you can use it with yer otherwise "dead" CR123's.

CR123's start off about 3.25 volts, so using a used one with around 2.75 or less should give you the brightness you're looking for. I'll check some voltages in mine when I get home, and see what produces a level of light I think you may be looking for.

They're hard to find, and a bit pricey...but not "pricey" for what they are. Do a search on "L1-RD" or "L1-Red" and search through some of the threads.

Also, the Gerber Recon on a low (used) AA is pretty low, although the red is not as "red" as it is with the L1. While it costs 1/4 what an L1-Red will cost you, the L1 will last 10 times longer.

Again, welcome, and hope this helps!

Dave/AOW

Last edited:

gsr

Enlightened
A Photon Freedom microlight might be another option. Get one with a covert nose if you really need to keep your light to yourself.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Streamlight Night.com In addition to a 100 lmn main beam and two bright red-leds, it has a single red indicator led that is VERY DIM. You wont even see it till your eyes are adjusted and it's usable distance is only about a foot or two. Uses two CR123s if that is important to you.

MikeAusC

Enlightened
Submarines do have periscopes, and the officers using it must preserve their night vision.

When below periscope depth I assume they still use red light for consistency.

dave black

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the suggestions, guys - we don't rig for red on submarines...we rig for low level white and then black, but we use red lights to preserve night vision like previously stated...the only reason i would really need it is when folks bring admin up to control for review/signature...never thought about using dead batteries heh i've been using red led lights and covering them up with my hand and letting the light spill out between my fingers...

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
t ..... but we use red lights to preserve night vision like previously stated...the only reason i would really need it is when folks bring admin up to control for review/signature...never thought about using dead batteries heh i've been using red led lights and covering them up with my hand and letting the light spill out between my fingers...
A Photon Freedom microlight might be another option. Get one with a covert nose if you really need to keep your light to yourself.
Seems like a red Photon with a covert nose and selectable brightness control and very small size & light weight would suit your stated needs. NB many CPFers say the turquoise version (also called "night vision green") is actually better than the red one for preserving night vision. I guess it depends on how strict the rules are about "red" vs actual performance in preserving night vision. If an even lower "Low" is needed, then swapping the standard two CR2016 batteries for one CR2032 decreases the light output.

Last edited:

Viper715

Enlightened
Don't know what your budget is but here is a suggestion for you and it is the lowest obtainable red that I know of.

Start off with a Surefire A2. Then get a Calipsoii's A2 led multi level ring. Your choice of colors either all red Or a warm white mixed in or green or blue, lots of choices. You can set it to a very very low level. But then you have other options for brighter light when you need it. Including a high output main incandescent beam. Not for everyone but a great setup.

Another option is the streamlight Sidewinder or sidewinder compact. But I can't remember how low the red is. Also be sure to get the military version which comes on in low first.

Also you may be able to talk to Peak LED and have them make you a custom one of there lights with a QTC pill and a red XPE. Huh I may need one of those too I would go with either the AAA or CR123 versions.

Thanks for your service! And good luck picking a light.

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have gotten similar effects with red electrical tape over regular lights. It's not as sexy a solution as a real ultra-low red, but it will work.

If you are handy with electronics, you can modify most boost circuit (single AA LED) lights with a trim-pot. Use a screwdriver to adjust that potentiometer, then the "on" is quite dim. The trimpot limits current to the driver, starving the LED to be dimmer.

Jrubin

Newly Enlightened
How about zebralight h51fr it's red and has a 0.19 lumen low

Main Features and Specifications

LED: Cree XP-E Red (Dominant Wavelength 620-630nm)
User Selectable Levels: 3 main level (High, Medium and Low). Each main level can be configured to one of its two sub-levels. The second sub-level of the High can be further configured to different brightness levels or strobes.
Light Output
High: H1 95 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 57 Lm (2.4 hrs) / 76 Lm (1.7 hrs) / 4Hz Strobe
Medium: M1 19 Lm (9 hrs) or M2 9.5 Lm (30 hrs)
Low: L1 1.9 Lm (3 days) or L2 0.19 Lm (16 days)