MBI Torpedo - 500 lumen - AAA Flashight - Part 2
Continued from Part 1 500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress
The MBI Torpedo is still a work in progress.
Any specs listed here may change in the final production version though I will keep this post updated with the most current specs.
Below: MBI Torpedo with adjustable body (attached), and AAA/10440 body (detached)
A quick summary of current specs as of Jan 1, 2012
- Max Output of up to 200/500lumens
- Cree XM-L2 U2 (or U3) Power Led
- Standard AAA size body
- Extendable 10250 body (patent pending)
- Both bodies can tail stand
- 1.5V/3.7V Dual voltage capability
- Multi-size, Multi-chemistry
- Lithium, Alkaline, NiMh, Li-Ion
- 4 selectable power modes
- 1.5V Batteries: 1,10,100,200 lumens
- 3.7V Batteries: 1,10,100, 300/500 lumens
- Revolutionary selector ring/switch
- turn one direction for on, keep turning (through each mode position) for more power
- turn on the opposite direction to reduce power (through each mode position), keep turning for off
- Reversible Clip
- Clip-in-clip for quick change of direction of clip without the need to remove the clip
- Reverse polarity protection
- Short Circuit protection
- Over-discharge protection
- Overheat protection
- Constant current output
- Auto power level step down on low battery
- Water Proof (pending test)
- Aircraft grade aluminum
- Type III scratch resistant hard-coating
- 15 grams (without battery)
- 14mm x 83mm (AAA body)
- 14mm x 67mm (Short body, adjusts up to 83mm to accomodate a AAA sized battery)
- Currently looking like 2013, April for the production version
- Expecting a minimum of 100 units for preliminary production run
- Full production run within a couple of weeks of that
MBI Torpedo Manual - Draft (still under revision/progress - updated 2011-12-03)
For a list of what's included, please see click on the link above (Manual) and scroll down to page 7.
- I will offer specially manufactured 10250 sized, li-ion high discharge batteries (price not final)
- Planning to offer 10440 IMR li-ion, high discharge batteries
- For convenience, I plan to make available a usb powered, li-ion charger capable of charging both the 10440 and 10250 batteries.
- The charger is made by cottonpickers and more information/pricing is available on his cpfmp charger thread where you can of course buy the charger directly if you prefer.
Advance Notice of purchase availability:
If you want to get advance notice of when the Torpedo becomes available for purchase, and to get insider updates, please subscribe to the MBI Insiders mailing list
Thanks for your continued support.
The progress made in Part 1 is largely due to all the support and feedback from everyone here.
[I have started part 2 at the request of moderators, as part 1 was so long, it was creating unnecessary load on the cpf server]
p.p.s. I will aim to keep this post updated with latest specs. Planning to add some updated pics too.
Below: MBI Torpedo - tailstanding and keyring attachment
Below: MBI Torpedo - keyring attachment (close-up)