PK Design Lab
Page 5 of 121 FirstFirst 1234567891011121555105 ... LastLast

Thread: 500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Banned

Default Re: 500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Maybe I missed it but what are we looking like for price? $50? $100? I subscribed to your updates anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
    Maybe I missed it but what are we looking like for price? $50? $100? I subscribed to your updates anyways.
    Hi Mike,
    Target price is still $65.
    GL

Epic thread. Kind of like trying to read through the SC600 thread. No pressure I'm sure.

Subscribed to your updates and more or less patiently waiting for whatever the end result is. Just a couple comments since TGWNP seems to be trying to absorb the hearts and minds of CPFers.

I would love either bare aluminum or titanium for finish (but I would buy HA no problem if that is what ends up being produced). Another thing that I'm sure would be well recieved is HAIII with neutral colors other than black like sand, olive drab, HA Natural. More choices add to production costs I'm sure but just throwing it out there.

Also as far as aggresive knurling, there are some of us out here who prefer things on the smooth side. The iTP A3 is a good example, there are some grooves that give the body a little grip, but overall the light is smooth. Easy on the pockets. Lights that act like sandpaper are not cool in my book. There are plenty of lights that have found a nice balance so hopefully you will find the same. You probably already have this worked out but I had read in your other thread that you planned on making the knurling more aggressive - please don't go overbard in this department (just my opinion but there you go).

Great job overall coming up with a vision and following it through. I have no doubt the final product will please many. I must admit it's harder to trust a guy with only 10 posts though

I think TWITT could alternatively stand for "That Which Invented The Torpedo."
    From what I've read, there's no proof he's not a pseudo-sentient android (from the future).

Also, tgwnn, keep up the good work.

I signed up for updates, looking forward to seeing the finished product
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

Quote Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
    Hi Cavi Mike,
    Thanks very much for subscribing
    As GL mentioned below, target is still $65, though Im still working out the pricing details on batteries/options.
    Also, I may have mentioned before but the (non-cpf) retail price may settle at about $75 after the initial production run (depends on final costs, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Got Lumens? View Post
    Hi Mike,
    Target price is still $65.
    GL
    Thanks GL

Quote Originally Posted by OneBigDay View Post
    Epic thread. Kind of like trying to read through the SC600 thread. No pressure I'm sure.

Subscribed to your updates and more or less patiently waiting for whatever the end result is. Just a couple comments since TGWNP seems to be trying to absorb the hearts and minds of CPFers.

I would love either bare aluminum or titanium for finish (but I would buy HA no problem if that is what ends up being produced). Another thing that I'm sure would be well recieved is HAIII with neutral colors other than black like sand, olive drab, HA Natural. More choices add to production costs I'm sure but just throwing it out there.

Also as far as aggresive knurling, there are some of us out here who prefer things on the smooth side. The iTP A3 is a good example, there are some grooves that give the body a little grip, but overall the light is smooth. Easy on the pockets. Lights that act like sandpaper are not cool in my book. There are plenty of lights that have found a nice balance so hopefully you will find the same. You probably already have this worked out but I had read in your other thread that you planned on making the knurling more aggressive - please don't go overbard in this department (just my opinion but there you go).

Great job overall coming up with a vision and following it through. I have no doubt the final product will please many. I must admit it's harder to trust a guy with only 10 posts though
    Hi OneBigDay,

Thanks very much for the feedback (and subscribing)
    I would very much like to be able to make the Torpedo available with some additional options in terms of the body finish,
    but this will likely be after the first full production run. As you noted, yes its mainly a cost vs demand issue so with enough demand for each particular type of finish, the additional cost is lower.

Regarding knurling, thanks for voicing your opinion.
    Its nice to hear that some people have a preference for smooth.
    Im not planning to go overboard on the knurling, but something with a touch more grip would be practical.

Appreciate the kind words and about my post count, thanks, its a valid point.
    Maybe cpf changed my post count to a daily score

Quote Originally Posted by nullity View Post
    I think TWITT could alternatively stand for "That Which Invented The Torpedo."
    From what I've read, there's no proof he's not a pseudo-sentient android (from the future).
    Also, tgwnn, keep up the good work.
    Thanks for posting nullity,
    the future.....
    Im working on it

Quote Originally Posted by CarpentryHero View Post
    I signed up for updates, looking forward to seeing the finished product
    Hi CarpentryHero and thanks for subscribing

tgwnn

I too, am eagerly anticipating! Just discovered your journey today and already feel a very strong need to replace my IllumaTi on my keychain! The black and red combination is superb, looking forward to adding this to my growing collection and making it my edc. Good Job!

Quote Originally Posted by DBCstm View Post
    The black and red combination is superb, looking forward to adding this to my growing collection and making it my edc. Good Job!
    Agreed... the black and red is quite sharp, and if the throw, via brute force, can rival my 2XAAA Eneloop, XP-E Streamix Pro, then this will become my EDC as well. The shorter length, starting in low, and the ability to get to high with the flick or two of a finger (if possible, please keep the spacing tight enough to do it in one flick!) will also give compelling reasons to finally update.

To the_ enigmatic_one (hey, there's a name for ya'... ThEO!):

I'm officially jumping on board. It's taken me a while for reasons I can try to explain privately if you're ever interested (it sort of has to do with your lack of name, posts, and being a twitt and all... lol), but long story short, this is my public statement of excitement.

Just subscribed for updates on the website... perhaps I'll also discover "the secret"? Of course, mum's the word.
    I'm an excellent driver. Of course I don't have my underwear... I'm definitely not wearing my underwear

I too, am eagerly anticipating! Just discovered your journey today and already feel a very strong need to replace my IllumaTi on my keychain! The black and red combination is superb, looking forward to adding this to my growing collection and making it my edc. Good Job!
    Thanks DBCstm,
    Welcome aboard and glad you like the design

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerboy View Post
    Agreed... the black and red is quite sharp, and if the throw, via brute force, can rival my 2XAAA Eneloop, XP-E Streamix Pro, then this will become my EDC as well. The shorter length, starting in low, and the ability to get to high with the flick or two of a finger (if possible, please keep the spacing tight enough to do it in one flick!) will also give compelling reasons to finally update.

To the_ enigmatic_one (hey, there's a name for ya'... ThEO!):

I'm officially jumping on board. It's taken me a while for reasons I can try to explain privately if you're ever interested (it sort of has to do with your lack of name, posts, and being a twitt and all... lol), but long story short, this is my public statement of excitement.

Just subscribed for updates on the website... perhaps I'll also discover "the secret"? Of course, mum's the word.
    Hi Bimmerboy,

Thanks very much for subscribing
    I do hope you discover (and like) the secret

By the law of internet forums, my guess is there are still others like you (were), enjoying the thread, passively and thats perfectly ok.
    Here's a big HELLO and thanks for following to all of you quiet types (you know who you are)

About my post count, its in the hands of the gods, who I imagine are busy enough keeping this great place working smoothly and giving priority to tasks that impact a larger number of members (as I would do) than just moi.

tgwnn

p.s. the_enigmatic_one .....cool choice!

Just a pessimistic moment but as you are only looking at about a 100 lights in the first run and with all of this interest, I wanted to make sure and have my name down for a neutral in black body 3 IMR batteries.

On a side note, my hospital has sent me to numerous leadership classes and your thread is consistently full of perfect examples of how to respond to feedback from clients, subordinates and superiors. I brush up on your responses from time to time to improve my own responses at work. Thanks.
    I'm a Lumenaut, on a bold quest of discovery. To find the smallest, toughest, eyeball searing-est torch that modern science can create!

Quote Originally Posted by scottyhazzard View Post
    Just a pessimistic moment but as you are only looking at about a 100 lights in the first run and with all of this interest, I wanted to make sure and have my name down for a neutral in black body 3 IMR batteries.
    This makes me nervous as well - that those of us that have been watching this thread since the beginning might get shut out of getting one of these.
    --------------------
    He is the light!

Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    This makes me nervous as well - that those of us that have been watching this thread since the beginning might get shut out of getting one of these.
    And... I'm pretty sure that's when you can call yourself a successful designer of any product.

Flashaholic*

Bring on the pre-order! OK, OK, I know pre-orders leave a bad taste in peoples' mouths. How about a reservation list? OK, I'll start it:

1) smokelaw1: one light, two batteries, one charger.

Who's #2 on this list?

By the way, please note, I'm just being an impatient, very excited smart-alek. This list is 1) not real, and 2) not official, and 3) if real, still not official, and 4) if real and official, led by a guy who started it not thinking it was either real or official.

Sorry, our yougnest hasn't been sleeping, and I'm getting a little punchy. Sure could use a nice tiny flashlight with a low low for running into her room in the middle of the night......

Me #2 on the non-existent list
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Put me down for number 3

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

what? huh? odang another thread to catch up on ...

Oops! I did not intend to cause a commotion. I can't imagine a world that Tgwn would not make things right for all of us eventually. In retrospect I feel a little selfish for "calling dibs"
    I'm a Lumenaut, on a bold quest of discovery. To find the smallest, toughest, eyeball searing-est torch that modern science can create!

Flashaholic*

I fell bad for starting my "fake list" thing, it really was just a joke. Let's not mess up this thread by replying to it, ok guys? TGWTMNTKTO (the guy with too many names to keep track of) will start a list/take preorders when the time is right for him to do so.

Nothing to see here....carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by smokelaw1 View Post
    I second that

Flashaholic*

I hope that there are enough of these to go around! TGWNN deserves all the profits off of this and I can certainly see it being more desirable than the LF2XT.

Incredible work!

TGWTMNTKTO (the guy with too many names to keep track of) will start a list/take preorders when the time is right for him to do so.
    +1
    I believe that's his plan.

Unrelated thought:
    If's he's married, does that make his Wife: "The_Gal_With_No_Name" (TGWNN)?
    It could get very confusing, if he has more than one child . . .
    GL
    Last edited by Got Lumens?; 01-20-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Ding Dong,

just a quick chime in to say thanks for the posts and will reply in a couple of hours.
    been a hectic month at the ranch (aka office)

p.s. I'll move mountains if need be to see that everyone who wants one, can own a Torpedo!

This just in, some guy with no name appears out of nowhere and creates addicts to his new "Torpedo" drug. Simply describing it's effects has many many people drooling and begging for deliverance from the dark forces that surround them. In one more month, a guy with no name (and probably no birth certificate) will be running for President on the promise of Illuminating society with a miniaturized Torpedo and "special" fuel cells to empower it. More news at 11:00.
    Dale

This is looking like an awesome offering, I would definitely a in for a few myself.

Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_with_no_name View Post

p.s. I'll move mountains if need be to see that everyone who wants one, can own a Torpedo!
    Thanks, Guy

Flashaholic

Watching the threads, i can safely say im getting more and more excited every day for the Torpedo and Core Ti. TGWNN: I wanted to thank you for keeping up with your customers in such a great way. The fact that youve allowed your customers a chance to help shape the lights really adds to excitement! I cant wait to get a hold of these once released. I think i mentioned this the last time i posted but ill do so again: The case you designed is really neat too!

On a side note, my hospital has sent me to numerous leadership classes and your thread is consistently full of perfect examples of how to respond to feedback from clients, subordinates and superiors. I brush up on your responses from time to time to improve my own responses at work. Thanks.

Hi scottyhazzard,
    Thanks for the post.

There should only be a couple of weeks between the first 100 and producing the next 500 or how ever many it takes to satisfy all our loyal cpf brethren.
    The reason for wanting to limit the first run is twofold:
    1) So I can carefully quality check each unit (after the production quality checkers finish) to make sure its on spec and up to standard.
    2) Its a serious cash outlay developing everything, then of course ordering all required components in volume and then manufacturing, so in order to make the cash-flow work, and absorb all the risk without taking pre-orders, do the first batch and then move on to the second.

Its possible that the first run could be up to 200, but I don't want to over promise just yet.

Thanks for the kind feedback on the thread. I can't vouch for perfect but certainly happy if it serves a purpose beyond entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    Hi bltkmt,
    Apart from the seemingly eternal wait, please be assured there is nothing to worry about.
    Everyone who desires, will be able to order, purchase, take delivery and enjoy the fruits of our collective labor

Quote Originally Posted by rlcrisp View Post
    And... I'm pretty sure that's when you can call yourself a successful designer of any product.
    Thanks rlcrisp,
    Its very humbling to think that 100 Torpedo's will not come anywhere near satisfying the current demand, though I do feel like the credit goes to all of you here who have been so willing to provide feedback, thoughts and ideas and have been supportive along every step of the journey.

Bring on the pre-order! OK, OK, I know pre-orders leave a bad taste in peoples' mouths. How about a reservation list? OK, I'll start it:

1) smokelaw1: one light, two batteries, one charger.

Who's #2 on this list?

By the way, please note, I'm just being an impatient, very excited smart-alek. This list is 1) not real, and 2) not official, and 3) if real, still not official, and 4) if real and official, led by a guy who started it not thinking it was either real or official.

Sorry, our yougnest hasn't been sleeping, and I'm getting a little punchy. Sure could use a nice tiny flashlight with a low low for running into her room in the middle of the night......

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    Me #2 on the non-existent list

Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    Put me down for number 3
    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Thanks very much for the bold show of enthusiasm

Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    what? huh? odang another thread to catch up on ...
    Welcome

Oops! I did not intend to cause a commotion. I can't imagine a world that Tgwn would not make things right for all of us eventually. In retrospect I feel a little selfish for "calling dibs"

I fell bad for starting my "fake list" thing, it really was just a joke. Let's not mess up this thread by replying to it, ok guys? TGWTMNTKTO (the guy with too many names to keep track of) will start a list/take preorders when the time is right for him to do so.

I second that

Thanks guys,
    No problem whatsoever and I would consider myself daft to do anything other than be grateful and express my thanks for sharing your excitement.
    Having contributed and being supporters from the start, I know its taking time (thanks for your patience)
    but…..
    ….the real excitement and adrenaline rush of anticipation will hit you once you get the "shipped" notification
    (that's usually when I check the tracking status every 2 minutes to see if its any closer)

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Tab View Post
    I hope that there are enough of these to go around! TGWNN deserves all the profits off of this and I can certainly see it being more desirable than the LF2XT.

Incredible work!
    Thanks for posting Z-Tab,
    The LF2XT has quite a following (maybe not apples vs apples)
    but I hope the LF2XT fans can appreciate the common DNA of versatility.

I'll make as many Torpedo's as it takes

Quote Originally Posted by Got Lumens? View Post
    +1
    I beleive that's his plan.

Unrelated thought:
    If's he's married, does that make his Wife: "The_Gal_With_No_Name" (TGWNN)?
    It could get very confusing, if he has more than one child . . .
    GL
    Thanks GL
    I think you are referring to "tbwnn-the boy with no name", the adventures of guy with no name, when he was a boy.

tgwnn

Flashaholic*

just ship it before the Asteroid hits us and I'll be happy

This just in, some guy with no name appears out of nowhere and creates addicts to his new "Torpedo" drug. Simply describing it's effects has many many people drooling and begging for deliverance from the dark forces that surround them. In one more month, a guy with no name (and probably no birth certificate) will be running for President on the promise of Illuminating society with a miniaturized Torpedo and "special" fuel cells to empower it. More news at 11:00.
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by F250XLT View Post
    This is looking like an awesome offering, I would definitely a in for a few myself.
    Thanks F250XLT

Thanks, Guy
    Pleasure of course

Quote Originally Posted by GrimCreaper View Post
    Watching the threads, i can safely say im getting more and more excited every day for the Torpedo and Core Ti. TGWNN: I wanted to thank you for keeping up with your customers in such a great way. The fact that youve allowed your customers a chance to help shape the lights really adds to excitement! I cant wait to get a hold of these once released. I think i mentioned this the last time i posted but ill do so again: The case you designed is really neat too!
    Thanks GrimCreaper,

Appreciate all the kind words and continued feedback.
    I consider you all to be my development partners.
    Doing it this way seems to make more sense than working in a cave for years on a secret thing, only to discover nobody wanted it.

tgwnn

Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    just ship it before the Asteroid hits us and I'll be happy
    I got you covered 127.0.0.1,
    Just made a few calls and had them slow down the Asteroid

tgwnn

Page 5 of 121 FirstFirst 1234567891011121555105 ... LastLast