How to determine Hella 1000FF beam type

LightCrazy

Enlightened
I acquired a set of HELLA 1000FF lights. The lights are really bright, brighter than any other aux driving light I have ever had. A bright 200 yard+ beam on the road (conservative guess) is nothing for these lights. The only real marking on the lights, other than HELLA, is the "1000FF" at the bottom of the reflector by the glass lens. The bulbs are brand new H1 55Watts. How do I tell if the lights are regular Driving beams, or the rarer "Pencil" beams? Thanks

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
From your description of the long beam reach and if there's no circle-E mark anywhere on the lens, they're probably the pencil/spot beams, though I'm pretty sure neither version is "rare".

LightCrazy

Enlightened
I will have to look for the circle-e mark you mention. I know the lense is just clear- no HELLA logo in the middle. I guess rare was the wrong term. I was just told that they have been dicontinued, and that it is harder to find used Pencil Beam lights than is is to find the regular driving light version. No matter which style they are, they have an extremely bright concentrated beam with just enough splash at that distance to help illuminate the side of the road some.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rallylights.com has a nice page describing different beam patterns, housing construction (how & why), and other info.

The page includes pictures of beam patterns as well.

This is a good starting point for info., any aux. light add on, or project. They've been in the business for a long time.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
Actually, that's how I found out the lights may be the pencill beam. They are very knowledgable and friendly at that. I would not hesitate to buy from them. Besides- they are in my home state. I will look at their beam diagrams again