Budget EDC Flashlight Recommendations

8secondride

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some recommendations for budget edc flashlights. In reference to the recommendation checklist, here's what I'm looking for:

1. To purchase online
2. Budget is < $40
3. Format - flashlight
4. Size - Every day carry medium (4-7 inches)
5. Emitter/Light source - LED
Manufacturer - mass produced
7. Battery type - preferably AAA or AA and hopefully runs ok on alkalines
8. OTF Light - In the "
I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens)" to "I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens)" range
9. Throw vs. Flood - not sure yet
10. Runtime - 5+ hours at the least bright mode

11. Durability/Usage - I want to be able to drop it, don't need to run over with a Mack truck
12. Switch type - anything except the ones where you twist the cap
13. Mode selection - at least 2 brightness modes
14. Material - aluminum or steel

My top pick right now is the Fenix E21. Also saw this Romisen recommended on the forums. Any other recommendations? I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts. Thanks!

GaAslamp

Enlightened
You might also want to consider the Klarus ST10 (1xAA) and ST20 (2xAA)--multiple modes accessed via a different UI.

andurilgc

Newly Enlightened
I'm very happy with the JetBeam and use it regularly. The forward clicky makes it very handy. Have popped in a 14500 and it kicks ... :devil: Hope I don't burn it out anytime soon though

I've read good things and would like to add the Xeno to my collection

gilly

Enlightened
Definitely consider the Fenix E21:

2 x AA
Solidly built
two brightness modes (head loose/tight)
great value for the $$ (about $35)

Good luck with your decision!

Samy

Enlightened
I just bought a Jetbeam BA20, very good for the price. I believe the Klarus ST20 is on special, I have one and also a great product that comes with more modes and accessories.

Cheers

davecroft

Enlightened
I like the Jetbeam BA10 - a solid light, feels like it will withstand a lot of abuse - I imagine the BA20 is just as good.

My favourite low cost light is the Fenix E11 - a surprisingly good light for the money and well worth a look. At least as tough as the BA10, if not more so because it has a plastic optic instead of glass lens. Runs for almost 9 hours on 'low' setting (32 lumens), which is still pretty bright for most uses. Seems to be gaining a few fans on the forum as well.

Samy

Enlightened
Are two battery lights like the BA20 and ST20 easy to EDC carry? Aren't they a bit large?

I used to EDC my Klarus ST20 everyday and thought it was great, mostly because of all the extra light it produces. I now EDC either a 1xAA Zebralight SC51 or a Preon2 2xAAA. I prefer the Peon2 as its very thin and i can't feel it. I have to keep tapping my pocket with my hand to make sure it's still there.

My wife EDC's a quark AA Tactical and a Jetbeam BA10 is about the same size so it would be fine to EDC i would think.

cheers

Druthu

Newly Enlightened
The Klarus ST10 looks like a great light (I am looking also).
I need to really look at the Jetbeam and the Preon2.

STR

Newly Enlightened
The TerraLUX Lightstar 100. At 20 bucks and some change its about as good as a budget light gets really!
STR

51coronet

Newly Enlightened
Ultrafire C3. Single AA, 5 Modes high med low and the lame modes :thumbsdow but easy to cycle through them. Surprising amount of light for a single AA. It tail stands, has a lanyard, Construction is stainless steel :thumbsup: great for single AA since heat really is not an issue. Compatible with 14500 battery. On DX now for $12.50. Order 3 and remain in your budget haha. I EDC one of them all the time no problem. Keys, pocket knifem phone etc. all have regular contact with it so only some scratches on the surface no worries. Cheap EDC you wont have to be overly concerned about scratching yet it works when I want it to.

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
If you want a smaller (1 x AA) ~ 4" light, you might check out the Fenix E11. I picked one up today and it's a great size and offers dual mode with a forward clicky tailcap switch. High is around 100 lumens and low is around 30 lumens. It uses a TIR lens but actually keeps the beam pretty floody compared to my experience with Surefire TIRs.