Severe Health Problem caused by LED Flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farlark

Newly Enlightened
Edit: This isn't the proper place to seek medical advice. See your local medical professional.

This thread is closed.

About a week ago, my new flashlight began to malfunction. I opened it up and got hit by a "burning electronics" smell. I e-mailed the dealer about this, and they promptly replied, telling me to return the light within two weeks (just the light and none of the accessories.)

Saturday morning, I sat down with the light to remove the batteries, as well as the "deep carry" clip that was purchased extra. I tried the light out for a minute or two. It worked ok, but I figured it still needed to be returned.

As I was working to get the clip off, I was hit by that "burning electronics" smell again. This time there was a cold feeling, followed by sharp pain in my right lung. It was (and still is) difficult to get a good breath. I quickly became ill and have been bedridden for most of the last two days.

Today is the first weekday since it happened, so I haven't had a chance to see a doctor yet. Has anyone else experienced or heard about this kind of thing before? Is this a common reaction to malfunctioning flashlights?

Last edited by a moderator:

PelicanCaseNut

Newly Enlightened
I know certain gases can cause this type of issue and it is usually permanent with little recovery

recDNA

Flashaholic
Only if the battery or batteries vented poison gas. It's the batteries that can be dangerous if they leak. I hope you've gone to the emergency room since posting this. Let us know how you are and if you discover if the batteries indeed vented.

firelord777

Enlightened
I know certain gases can cause this type of issue and it is usually permanent with little recovery

That doesn't sound too optomistic, but perhaps yes, you should go look at a doctor. From what I know, certain types of cancer or tumors on the spine can cause people to have "phantom smells", most often something burnt. But then again, I don't see why flashlights would have such hazardous gases.

Maybe if you explain more in detail, we might be able to further assess you my friend, such as if you can walk, if you are just abnormally tired or other things.

Hope you get better, on behalf of CPF, best wishes

Farlark

Newly Enlightened
Only if the battery or batteries vented poison gas. It's the batteries that can be dangerous if they leak. I hope you've gone to the emergency room since posting this. Let us know how you are and if you discover if the batteries indeed vented.

How would I know if the batteries vented? There was a little bit of goo on one of them, but, as someone suggested, that may have just been lubricant.

firelord777

Enlightened
The sharp pain in the lung, while not often, I have experienced exactly that and I know what you mean because with every breath, it sort of "stings you". But it usually goes away in a minute or two. I don't know yet what causes that, I usually have it once an year out of the blue during school.

Maybe you should resort to other temporary treatments meanwhile you wait to see a doctor. I would recommend fruits and veggies, because they have plenty of nutrients and vitamins for your body to get better and possibly get rid o what you may have.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF is not a medical forum. While past experiences may shed light on your situation...what do you hope to hear? 'Don't worry, you'll be fine.'??

If you are having trouble breathing still days later, and you feel it is directly associated with your 'burning electronics' smell, seek medical attention.

The chemistry of modern batteries has the potential to generate all sorts of 'not commonly' inhaled substances. Bedridden is not something I would ignore if I thought it was connected to inhaling battery fumes.

obi

Farlark

Newly Enlightened
That doesn't sound too optomistic, but perhaps yes, you should go look at a doctor. From what I know, certain types of cancer or tumors on the spine can cause people to have "phantom smells", most often something burnt. But then again, I don't see why flashlights would have such hazardous gases.

Maybe if you explain more in detail, we might be able to further assess you my friend, such as if you can walk, if you are just abnormally tired or other things.

Hope you get better, on behalf of CPF, best wishes

It was not a phantom smell, as my wife smelled it also.

I came down with a fever after a couple of hours, and everything associated with that (chills, delirium, weakness, etc.). I also feel lightheaded at times.

Farlark

Newly Enlightened
CPF is not a medical forum. While past experiences may shed light on your situation...what do you hope to hear? 'Don't worry, you'll be fine.'??

If you are having trouble breathing still days later, and you feel it is directly associated with your 'burning electronics' smell, seek medical attention.

The chemistry of modern batteries has the potential to generate all sorts of 'not commonly' inhaled substances. Bedridden is not something I would ignore if I thought it was connected to inhaling battery fumes.

obi

I'm not here looking for comfort. My problem was caused by a flashlight, so it's logical that I ask CPFers 1. if such a problem occurs regularly, and 2. what might reasonably be assumed to be the cause. Obviously, I am seeking medical help from a doctor.

Maynor

Newly Enlightened
Please go to the nearest emergency room. Difficulty breathing regardless of cause, is enough reason to go. You need to rule out anything that could be more serious. The cold feeling and sharp leg pain is another indicator.

Did anything spill or splash on your body when all this happened?

Let us know the outcome and good luck.

PelicanCaseNut

Newly Enlightened
if you saved the batteries maybe a test could be done to see if they failed. 4Sevens wouldn't want a law suit so I bet they will say all is well.

I know that I have often smelled a strange smell from the surefire batteries I have in a drawer, they are all new in box yet when when the drawer is opened it lets off a powerful smell

DM51

Flashaholic
You need prompt medical attention. If you can't get yourself to a hospital, do not hesitate to dial 911 or whatever the emergency number is for your area.

theix

Newly Enlightened
if you saved the batteries maybe a test could be done to see if they failed. 4Sevens wouldn't want a law suit so I bet they will say all is well.

I know that I have often smelled a strange smell from the surefire batteries I have in a drawer, they are all new in box yet when when the drawer is opened it lets off a powerful smell

AFAIK lithium primaries release gas when they discharge. That's why they put venting holes. I don't know if it's hazardous but better not to inhale it. I also have that sudden "sharp pain" but not very often. Still no idea what causes it.
Your sickness may not caused by that "burning electronics" smell but could be something else. I think you really should go see the doctor. I'll check back to see what the doctor said.

oldnfat

Newly Enlightened
Symptoms seem like the cause might be a pulmonary embolism. Not sure how the battery gases might have precipated this. Seek immediate medical attention.

Farlark

Newly Enlightened
Symptoms seem like the cause might be a pulmonary embolism. Not sure how the battery gases might have precipated this. Seek immediate medical attention.

It turn out I am unable to get a doctor's appointment today. Even though it has been two days, I will take the advice of several posters in this thread and go to the emergency room.

PelicanCaseNut

Newly Enlightened
It turn out I am unable to get a doctor's appointment today. Even though it has been two days, I will take the advice of several posters in this thread and go to the emergency room.

let us know what you find out. I hope you get better.

bjs55

Newly Enlightened
could be a clot in the lung.got to the e-room i had one several years ago check just to be safe

Maynor

Newly Enlightened

Glad to hear it! Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.