Incredible iPhone Projector

Phredd

Enlightened
I just came across this incredible (and I mean incredible) iPhone projector on Kickstarter. Resolution of 1280x800, contrast ratio 50,000:1 and the brightness of 2,000 lumens -- AND it fits inside the head of AA Maglite -- AND it plugs into the iPhone's headphone jack!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1747147409/projektor-make-your-mobile-devices-larger-than-lif

I think this guy thought this would be a great product without the slightest consideration for reality. The comments are rich with a catch 22: people wonder how Kickstarter accepted the project; he claims he must know what he's talking about since Kickstarter approved it.

JacobJones

Enlightened
2000 lumens, by my calculations the maximum possible runtime is around 12 minutes. I'll be optimistic and estimate 8 real minutes of runtime on a fully charged battery.

I see this as not being very practical, one YouTube video and you've got to wait 4 hours for your iphone to charge up enough to watch another one.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this guy thought this would be a great product without the slightest consideration for reality. The comments are rich with a catch 22: people wonder how Kickstarter accepted the project; he claims he must know what he's talking about since Kickstarter approved it.

I just read through the comments on the page - the argument does seem to go in circles a lot :)

It's quite clear to me that this is a scam. The 3.5mm jack on an old iPod Video would have worked with the output he's talking about using, but that was abandoned by apple once they started using the dock connector. The only way to get video out of an iPod/iPhone/iPad since about 2007 is to use the dock connector.

The think is: this is all just a big waste of time for everyone involved. I'm not sure he'll get the $125K by the end of the month, especially with the discussion about how it's a scam on the pledge page. Then again, there's already 56 backers, showing there's at least one born every minute.

Last edited:

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
He said a cable goes to the 30-pin connector at the bottom, so I guess the headphone jack is to mount the projector. Either way, soooo unrealistic

Alex

Phredd

Enlightened
I'm not sure he'll get the $125K by the end of the month, especially with the discussion about how it's a scam on the pledge page. Then again, there's already 56 backers, showing there's at least one born every minute.

I'm pretty sure it won't be funded -- not at $125,000. I'm shocked there are 56 people in this world (it was 55 last night) that actually believe this is possible!

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
He said a cable goes to the 30-pin connector at the bottom, so I guess the headphone jack is to mount the projector. Either way, soooo unrealistic

Alex

He must have updated his specs to suit post 2007 devices :)

Phredd

Enlightened
I'm not sure he'll get the $125K by the end of the month, especially...

Especially since he can't even do math! I just checked again and he's up to 60 backers, but each of his rewards is limited in number. Even if they all filled up, he would only have $70,000 in pledges. What a maroon!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
My personal favorite comment, adding the appropriate emphasis:
why did you copy and paste the specs of another projector? Especially one that is 2000 lumens... Really? Your retarded. No LED is that bright.

BTW, I'm going to wait until Version 2 since the upgraded projector unit will probably look more like a SureFire 6P.

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Especially since he can't even do math! I just checked again and he's up to 60 backers, but each of his rewards is limited in number. Even if they all filled up, he would only have $70,000 in pledges. What a maroon!

I hadn't looked that far into it, but good point :)

BTW, I'm going to wait until Version 2 since that projector unit will probably look more like a SureFire 6P.

I'm waiting for him to get a hold of those fake Spy007 bodies before I buy one :poke: