How do you remove the head????

unclearty

Enlightened
I purchased a Su%$#%re look alike off Ebay from a company called Cooleyes. It's a very nicely machined and anodized 2-123 5 led light. My problem is, when you first tighten the endcap, only 3 leds light very dimly. If I hit it against my hand, all leds light up..brightly. I'm assuming either poor ground to chassis, or cold solder joint. I have been playing with this light trying to remove the head for 5 days now with no luck at all. I even bought a pair of those band type wrenches so I won't damage the finish. Is there a trick to removing these type heads? I suspect they assemble these with some sort of thread lock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

LightChucker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
unclearty said:
Good idea...I'll try that tonight...any idea how long to "boil" it???

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh...about 5 minutes or so. I used this technique to disassemble the tail switch to a Pelican M6. In that case, I didn't use a bag. I had to boil it 3 times before it broke free. The plastic bag would be safer though.

Chuck

Hogosha

Newly Enlightened
Unclearty,
Please post more info on the Cooleyes light, can't find it on ebay, and no luck with google.

Defectfully
Patrick

unclearty

Enlightened
Well..I just spent over 2 hours screwing with that darned light. Boiled it...twice..each time for 5 minutes..nothing...broke 2 brand new band clamps..heated it with a heat gun..nuttin'...finally the very calm and collected inner person in me did the rational thing...pulled out the big guns!! A pipe wrench on the body and an oversized pair of Vicegrips on the head. After leaning into my workbench and pushing with all my might, I broke the threadlock's grip. Of course there isn't too much anodizing left on the body..and the head has these two large teeth marks, BUT I GOT IT!!!! Just as I had susupected, when this light was assembled, they used a ton of threadlock which gooped it's way up and under the led mounting plate...poor ground. Cleaned up everyting, lubed the threads with bulb grease, and whadda ya know..solid white light..through a foggy lens...the boiling trick turned the lens opaque. Took an old Brinkman head apart..cut a new lens, sanded the edges smooth and my light works. Course it looks like it was dragged behind a 40 footer from Boston to Malibu, but it works great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Xenon

Enlightened
I got one of these too but mine is not LED but using a Xenon bulb. I got it for $10 I think and its as bright as my E2 and heavier!!

The seller cooleyes threw in two extra bulbs as well. Although this light is fairly well put together, there are many sharp edges, no anodising etc. But its value for money.