PEAK

View Poll Results: If you haven't purchased an Alpha, what is the main reason(s) holding you back?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Alpha doesn't take primaries

3 5.66%
  • I would buy a smaller size light

14 26.42%
  • I want more power captain!

6 11.32%
  • I want more throw

6 11.32%
  • I'm not into the nickel plate

7 13.21%
  • I'm not into the "styling"

8 15.09%
  • It's not titanium

17 32.08%
  • It's too expensive

18 33.96%
  • Not enough brand reputation/track record

3 5.66%
  • Don't worry Jason, I'm saving up for one!

17 32.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Research: Help me understand your purchasing decisions!

Question Researchl: Help me understand your purchasing decisions!

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year! Hope all is well with the CPF gang. I thought the beginning of 2012 would be a good time to check in with everyone and ask you for your feedback on how I'm doing. It's really helpful to get your feedback, so please take a minute to vote on the poll and/or feel free to comment below. I'm constantly striving to find better ways to meet your needs, so your help is greatly appreciated!

I only get 10 questions on the poll so I just grabbed a few that I've heard more than once. If you have something you'd like to add, I'd love it if you'd comment on the thread!

If you aren't familiar with my lights: www.darksucks.com
    Last edited by archer6817j; 01-06-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Default Re: Researchl: Help me understand your purchasing decisions!

To explain my votes: I just don't have the cash for new lights at the moment, and I'm not in the market for 18650 based lights, unless they're capable of also running on smaller cells.

As a side note, I've yet to find anything other than Titanium that properly holds up to the abuse of being in my pocket with my keys. Every Al coating I've ever had has worn off, whether in days or months, and starts to look really ugly. Bare Al starts to look really badly beaten after a few months. Ti hold up much better and any scratches can easily be buffed out.

I'd love a light as tough as yours, and the Alpha is a damn good looking beast, and you even have the HCRI XP-G, which is the only emitter I've bought since they came out... but the stars just aren't aligning for me just yet.

Question Research: Help me understand your purchasing decisions!

Hi everyone,

I accidentally made the first poll public. I made an anonymous one and merged it with this thread. I was able to keep the comment but not the poll results I think this only affected two people so would you be kind enough to vote again? Thanks!
    Last edited by archer6817j; 01-05-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Default Re: Research: Help me understand your purchasing decisions!

No way man... I'm not voting again!

Hi there,
    I really dig everything about you lights Jason.
    Including your philosophy and frame of mind .

Long story short, I would buy one (or more) in a heartbeat if you made some in Ti!

Hope to see some soon!

Tashi.
    覧覧覧覧覧覧
    Tashi Bharucha Design

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Run View Post
    Hi there,
    I really dig everything about you lights Jason.
    Including your philosophy and frame of mind .

Long story short, I would buy one (or more) in a heartbeat if you made some in Ti!

Hope to see some soon!

Tashi.
    Thanks for the kind words So I can't really make cutting Ti lights worth it with my current setup. Long story. However, would people still be interested in Ti lights if I had them machined by a local job shop instead of doing them myself? That might actually make it possible.

I'm loving my one-off Copper light which is related to the Alpha family. In general I always prefer bare metal to plated metal because any scratches first of all are not as conspicuous and secondly can be eliminated fairly easily if they're superficial.

So, I would be in the Titanium category in this poll.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Quote Originally Posted by archer6817j View Post
    Thanks for the kind words So I can't really make cutting Ti lights worth it with my current setup. Long story. However, would people still be interested in Ti lights if I had them machined by a local job shop instead of doing them myself? That might actually make it possible.
    I think Ti would sell, no matter where it was machined. Just don't stamp it with your makers mark!

Your lights are really cool but titanium is the magic word, add tritium and people will beg you to take their money.

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    I'm loving my one-off Copper light which is related to the Alpha family. In general I always prefer bare metal to plated metal because any scratches first of all are not as conspicuous and secondly can be eliminated fairly easily if they're superficial.

So, I would be in the Titanium category in this poll.

Absolutely!
    Outsourcing machinework (localy that is) is not an issue as long as the rest of the process remains.
    Wether the parts get cut by your Haas or the one next door really dun't matter to me
    Last edited by Midnight Run; 01-06-2012 at 08:31 AM.
    覧覧覧覧覧覧
    Tashi Bharucha Design

Flashaholic

i would vote - because i don't know what it is

Quote Originally Posted by budynabuick View Post
    i would vote - because i don't know what it is
    Good point Here ya go: http://www.darksucks.com

I
    added a link in the OP as well.

Hi Jason,

My two reasons:

1. It sold ~

2. I simply can't afford it... ...but it's certainly not too expensive.

~ Chance

BTW, I spent some time on your site The Alchemist. I really admire the work/projects. Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Chauncey Gardiner; 01-06-2012 at 02:15 PM.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate!

Enlightened

Hi Jason. My new Alpha arrived yesterday, but I just voted anyway. The light is beautiful in form and function, but my next one will need a little more throw. Got any TIR optics left, and if so, are there any beam shots available?

I could also have voted, but didn't, for "not into nickel" (unless it involves an ivory handle), so I'd like to see something a little darker, and preferably harder. I'd also vote for a machined, textured head, especially after you get "forced" into titanium.

Unenlightened

For me, I am looking for something very pocketable, and that means small diameter. I am looking for a custom light because the look and feel of my EDC light should be on par with my watch and knife. Your lights look pretty cool (what Chauncey posted looks really good - but it looks like it might be abrasive on pants) and appear to be the best engineered thing out there. I am impressed with your technical knowledge.

The EN coating looks classy and looks like it would work great for an EDC. I thought you had mentioned something about PVD or DLC coatings. A black tungsten DLC or PVD would be outstanding.

Congratulations Jason! I've been away from CPF for a long time, and now I'm most impressed by your work. Great website, good products, a lot of dedication to make a top quality product. I'd definitely buy one of your creations, but I think you need to work a bit on the design. For a custom made light they look kind of cheap to me now. I'm sure you'll get there, and I'll definitely order a light as soon as they look a bit more attractive. Gotta illuminate Belgium a bit more
    Yeehaw!

Hi Jason - Your philosophy of manufacturing a "forever" light that is easily upgradable and repairable is what initially attracted me to the Alpha. However, its size is much too large for my liking and needs. The "Shorty" is almost the perfect size, but its exclusive use of rechargeable only batteries is too restrictive.

Your designs are striking and beautiful and I hope to purchase one of them someday. As much I want a handcrafted light made entirely by you, as long as the machining is top-notch, a local shop is okay.

Flashaholic

Good point Here ya go: http://www.darksucks.com

I
    added a link in the OP as well.
    Thank you . I will look at your work. I missed it at the top of page. I will look at it .

Awesome lights, good price performance point IMO. On my short list for sure. Would love to see an aspherical or TIR? head option, then I would buy two.

In God we trust
    For everyone else we have Smith & Wesson

A Ti light that was ran on 1xRCR123a/CR123a would do really well,i know theres lots of this size light but thats for a reason.They're easy to carry around with you,so if i was to be paying for an high end light
    i'd want to get as much use as possible.Meaning i'd want it with me at all times.At the minute the Alpha is too big for me.Even though its still a great light.

Quote Originally Posted by cummins4x4 View Post
    Awesome lights, good price performance point IMO. On my short list for sure. Would love to see an aspherical or TIR? head option, then I would buy two.
    I have a TIR for the XML that has a 20 degree spot. It's 7700 lux @ 1m vs the XML with boom reflector that is 4400 lux. It's quite a large hotspot compared to what you might be used to in a TIR but it still throws pretty well I actually think the large spot is a lot more useful for an everyday light.

I have a TIR for the XML that has a 20 degree spot. It's 7700 lux @ 1m vs the XML with boom reflector that is 4400 lux. It's quite a large hotspot compared to what you might be used to in a TIR but it still throws pretty well I actually think the large spot is a lot more useful for an everyday light.
    I like the sound of that! I've been wanting an optic-based XML.

Wilkey

Grinser2 Re: Research: Help me understand your purchasing decisions!

hi, friend. I like flashlights, but I don't have a good knowledge of them. I know that many climbers like flashlights, each of them has a personal flashlight. They really look so cool. Maybe I will buy one later when I know much about it.

Flashaholic

...I always wanted to buy a light from you because they look AWESOME but here are my reasons why not:

1. No voltage monitor. Since I use my modded mag with voltage monitor I dont want to miss it in any flashlight.(except small lights like 1AAA where its not possible) Its so great to know when you will run out of power. I use my lights most times on full power but when I see that my batteries are going low I can turn it down and still manage to finish my work without the need to have a set of fresh Ni-MHs in my pocket.

2. No overheating protection. This is a total must-have in all high power flashlights. When I have it tailstand or laying around somewhere providing me light I dont want to check the temperature of it every few minutes.

3. No Ni-MH. I have a high end Ni-MH charger and a huge pile of Ni-MHs so I dont want to buy a 100-130 li-ion charger for only 1 flashlight. (I dont want any of these single or 2 bay chargers without an lcd or different charging modes)

Hi Jason,
    Since each person's answer is but an individual case, hopefully the survey totals will allow you to target specific action items to push the adoption rate up. I answered "saving up" but a bit more elaboration against the points might be of use.

1. The Alpha doesn't take primaries - Always nice to be able to use backup primaries...but not a deal breaker as I carry extra LiIon cells. Perhaps some kind of "limp home" mode? Let's face facts. To get the output customers demand with the LEDs available, no high performance, output-biased torch will run on a single string of primaries. Parallel strings? Sure...but then you're talking about bigguns like the SF M6 LED.
    2. I would buy a smaller size light - An 18500 option would be as small as I would be willing to entertain. But then I use my lights so much, running on IMR16340's would have me changing batteries every day and that would be undesirable. Every 2-3 days, perfect.
    3. I want more power captain! - Not in this form factor. On these specs, I believe you are in the sweet spot with respect to output, runtime, and heat management.
    4. I want more throw - Again, not in this form factor and not with the SST-50 or XML. I do not salivate or obsess over throw as many seem to. I understand the psychology behind it, but this aspect of performance needs to be weighted against all other relevant performance factors. My usage is 95% indoors and between 24" and 10'. A tight, ringy reflectored spot sucks with a capital suck. A smooth punchy beam is lovely. See the Oveready Tri-XPG and VanIsleDSM Quad-XPG for the premier exemplars of this beam profile. In short, the beam profile must serve the illumination needs not just for the overall output but, as importantly, the distribution of those lumens.
    5. I'm not into the nickel plate - It's a question of personal preference and taste. Functionally, nickel plating is a great finish. And I find it absolutely beautiful and my luxury finish of choice.
    6. I'm not into the "styling" - Your lights are clean, proportional, and adeptly blend performance and function. I will handle one, one day, but based on my experience, it will almost certainly be as much a pleasure in the hand as it is to the eye.
    7. It's not titanium - This seems to be the material de rigueur. Certainly it is strong. But it's not a great conductor of heat (far worse than brass even). I suppose it's the fashion, what else is there to say? I wouldn't carry an EDC made of titanium. What's the opportunity cost?
    8. It's too expensive - Your lights are not cheap but among the pantheon of custom lights they are a bargain. The thought and the work you've put into articulating and executing your design philosophy is, in and of itself, nearly worth the price of admission.
    9. Not enough brand reputation/track record - Arguably not a factor. Not at this stage in your company's life. And you certainly have garnered well-deserved kudos and a following.
    10. Don't worry Jason, I'm saving up for one! - Like I said.

Wilkey

I didn't respond to the poll but I can tell you what I'd like to see.

A single cell 1.4a version that uses a Nichia 83 or 119.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    I didn't respond to the poll but I can tell you what I'd like to see.

A single cell 1.4a version that uses a Nichia 83 or 119.

thanks.
    When you say single cell, what size cell are you referring to? The main Alpha is a single 18650 but I do "shortys" on special order (IMR123 or 18350).

I have also 1.4A drivers and some Nichia 119s on 20mm stars...and XPG High CRI. Wanna talk ?

I probably will. I have a new rifle to pay off first, but you definately have my interest now.