Research: Help me understand your purchasing decisions!

If you haven't purchased an Alpha, what is the main reason(s) holding you back?

• The Alpha doesn't take primaries

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • I would buy a smaller size light

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • I want more power captain!

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • I want more throw

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • I'm not into the nickel plate

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • I'm not into the "styling"

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • It's not titanium

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • It's too expensive

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Not enough brand reputation/track record

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Don't worry Jason, I'm saving up for one!

Votes: 17 32.1%

• Total voters

archer6817j

Enlightened
Researchl: Help me understand your purchasing decisions!

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year! Hope all is well with the CPF gang. I thought the beginning of 2012 would be a good time to check in with everyone and ask you for your feedback on how I'm doing. It's really helpful to get your feedback, so please take a minute to vote on the poll and/or feel free to comment below. I'm constantly striving to find better ways to meet your needs, so your help is greatly appreciated!

I only get 10 questions on the poll so I just grabbed a few that I've heard more than once. If you have something you'd like to add, I'd love it if you'd comment on the thread!

If you aren't familiar with my lights: www.darksucks.com

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Researchl: Help me understand your purchasing decisions!

To explain my votes: I just don't have the cash for new lights at the moment, and I'm not in the market for 18650 based lights, unless they're capable of also running on smaller cells.

As a side note, I've yet to find anything other than Titanium that properly holds up to the abuse of being in my pocket with my keys. Every Al coating I've ever had has worn off, whether in days or months, and starts to look really ugly. Bare Al starts to look really badly beaten after a few months. Ti hold up much better and any scratches can easily be buffed out.

I'd love a light as tough as yours, and the Alpha is a damn good looking beast, and you even have the HCRI XP-G, which is the only emitter I've bought since they came out... but the stars just aren't aligning for me just yet.

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I accidentally made the first poll public. I made an anonymous one and merged it with this thread. I was able to keep the comment but not the poll results :) I think this only affected two people so would you be kind enough to vote again? Thanks!

Last edited:

Midnight Run

Enlightened
Hi there,
I really dig everything about you lights Jason.
Including your philosophy and frame of mind ;).

Long story short, I would buy one (or more) in a heartbeat if you made some in Ti!

Hope to see some soon!

Tashi.

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hi there,
I really dig everything about you lights Jason.
Including your philosophy and frame of mind ;).

Long story short, I would buy one (or more) in a heartbeat if you made some in Ti!

Hope to see some soon!

Tashi.

Thanks for the kind words :) So I can't really make cutting Ti lights worth it with my current setup. Long story. However, would people still be interested in Ti lights if I had them machined by a local job shop instead of doing them myself? That might actually make it possible.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I'm loving my one-off Copper light which is related to the Alpha family. In general I always prefer bare metal to plated metal because any scratches first of all are not as conspicuous and secondly can be eliminated fairly easily if they're superficial.

So, I would be in the Titanium category in this poll.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the kind words :) So I can't really make cutting Ti lights worth it with my current setup. Long story. However, would people still be interested in Ti lights if I had them machined by a local job shop instead of doing them myself? That might actually make it possible.

I think Ti would sell, no matter where it was machined. Just don't stamp it with your makers mark!

romteb

Enlightened
Your lights are really cool but titanium is the magic word, add tritium and people will beg you to take their money.

Midnight Run

Enlightened
I'm loving my one-off Copper light which is related to the Alpha family. In general I always prefer bare metal to plated metal because any scratches first of all are not as conspicuous and secondly can be eliminated fairly easily if they're superficial.

So, I would be in the Titanium category in this poll.

Absolutely!
Outsourcing machinework (localy that is) is not an issue as long as the rest of the process remains.
Wether the parts get cut by your Haas or the one next door really dun't matter to me ;)

Last edited:
Hi Jason,

My two reasons:

1. It sold ~
nic-tac800.jpg

2. I simply can't afford it... :(...but it's certainly not too expensive.

~ Chance

BTW, I spent some time on your site The Alchemist. I really admire the work/projects. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

hoplite

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jason. My new Alpha arrived yesterday, but I just voted anyway. :naughty: The light is beautiful in form and function, but my next one will need a little more throw. :) Got any TIR optics left, and if so, are there any beam shots available?

I could also have voted, but didn't, for "not into nickel" (unless it involves an ivory handle), so I'd like to see something a little darker, and preferably harder. I'd also vote for a machined, textured head, especially after you get "forced" into titanium.

Policecar

Newly Enlightened
For me, I am looking for something very pocketable, and that means small diameter. I am looking for a custom light because the look and feel of my EDC light should be on par with my watch and knife. Your lights look pretty cool (what Chauncey posted looks really good - but it looks like it might be abrasive on pants) and appear to be the best engineered thing out there. I am impressed with your technical knowledge.

The EN coating looks classy and looks like it would work great for an EDC. I thought you had mentioned something about PVD or DLC coatings. A black tungsten DLC or PVD would be outstanding.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations Jason! I've been away from CPF for a long time, and now I'm most impressed by your work. Great website, good products, a lot of dedication to make a top quality product. I'd definitely buy one of your creations, but I think you need to work a bit on the design. For a custom made light they look kind of cheap to me now. I'm sure you'll get there, and I'll definitely order a light as soon as they look a bit more attractive. Gotta illuminate Belgium a bit more ;)

sassaquin

Enlightened
Hi Jason - Your philosophy of manufacturing a "forever" light that is easily upgradable and repairable is what initially attracted me to the Alpha. However, its size is much too large for my liking and needs. The "Shorty" is almost the perfect size, but its exclusive use of rechargeable only batteries is too restrictive.

Your designs are striking and beautiful and I hope to purchase one of them someday. As much I want a handcrafted light made entirely by you, as long as the machining is top-notch, a local shop is okay. :)

cummins4x4

Enlightened

Awesome lights, good price performance point IMO. On my short list for sure. Would love to see an aspherical or TIR? head option, then I would buy two.

davyro

Enlightened

A Ti light that was ran on 1xRCR123a/CR123a would do really well,i know theres lots of this size light but thats for a reason.They're easy to carry around with you,so if i was to be paying for an high end light
i'd want to get as much use as possible.Meaning i'd want it with me at all times.At the minute the Alpha is too big for me.Even though its still a great light.