Fitorch        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are your old Eneloops still going strong? - a survey.

Default Re: Are your old Eneloops still going strong? - a survey.

I have 20 or so AA Eneloops that I have been using for a while, so I thought it was time to consider if I should replace them. A closer look revealed that they were all 1st Gen with dates around 06-0715 and 08-0600. So this means that these batteries are 9 to 11 years old and have been in continuous use for the past decade. They are spread out throughout the house in many applications like flashlights, remotes, mice and even a milk frother. I would not consider anything was of heavy use other than my Magic Mouse which burns through batteries.
    I recharge them as necessary in my La Crosse BC-900 and apart from the occasional refresh they still take a 1900 or 2000 Mah charge. Some go to 2100 Mah. I have never had to discard a single Eneloop yet and it seems like there are still many cycles left in them.

Is this typical or am I just lucky?

I just ordered another 8 of the 4th Gen batteries because the electronic devices and flashlights have multiplied around here. I hope they give me a similar performance and longevity.
    Better to light one candle than curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by CandleLite View Post
    Is this typical or am I just lucky?
    LOL, had to chime in -- pretty much mirror your experiences here, right on down to the milk frother and La Crosse charger!

Earliest cells on this end are from Aug. 2006, and they are all still going strong. (Although I use newer Eneloops in higher drain devices like GPS, radios, etc.)

Just imagine what not buying alkaline batteries for over a decade has saved!

Not sure if i have older than 2010 Eneloops, but I do have a bunch labeled "2010" in sharpie that are still great so they do last a long time.

Silver Moderator

Hello CandleLite,

I just recently retired some of my first generation Eneloop cells. They were used in a camera that didn't get much use. I think the lack of constant use just did them in. I have a few more in flashlights and they are still going strong.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    I just recently retired some of my first generation Eneloop cells. They were used in a camera that didn't get much use. I think the lack of constant use just did them in.
    Iím curious...

What made you decide it was time for them to go?

And did you try putting them through a refresh cycle?

Hope you donít mind me asking.

I have some IKEA Ladda 2450, which I heard are arguably rebadged eneloop pros. One of them doesn't hold much capacity after a few cycles. This makes me want to invest in some regular eneloops.

Silver Moderator

Hello Terjee,

On a Break In cycle they came in at 900 mAh of capacity. In addition they seem to have lost their low self discharge capability. I would put the cells in the camera and on about the second use within a couple of weeks the voltage would drop low enough to shut off the camera.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

My oldest Eneloop AAs are from around July 2007, and my newest are from around November 2008. All 2007 cells are high-resistance, and about half the 2008s are, also. There seemed to be a difference between the two sets in how long that took to happen, with the 2008s lasting longer. My normal-resistance 2008s range from around 900mAh to around 1500mAh remaining capacity. Not bad, IMHO.

I continue to use high-resistance cells in low-draw devices until the old C.Crane charger turns up its nose at them.

Quote Originally Posted by WDG View Post
    ...I continue to use high-resistance cells in low-draw devices until the old C.Crane charger turns up its nose at them.
    I might be time to retire your old C.Crane charger. If it's the old quick charger like the one I have it was made for old NiCd and NiMh cells that needed a trickle charge to keep them topped off until you pulled them out of the charger. The eneloop and newer LSD type NiMh cells don't need a trickle charge and as I understand it, a trickle charge can degrade their performance over time. I wonder if that's why you are seeing the high IR on your eneloop cells?
    Lantern Light Output Comparison Review:
    http://getpreparedstuff.com/led-lantern-review

I just did a test on a pack of 10 year old 1st generation eneloop cells I had in storage. They were dated July 2007 on the cells.

Straight out of the package I did a discharge test and they showed a capacity of just over 1100mAh @ a 400mA discharge, which means they held onto over 60% of their original 1900mAh capacity after 10 years of sitting on my basement shelf.

After a few charge discharge cycles they tested to just over 1800mAh during a 400mA discharge meaning they've only lost about 5% of their original capacity after 10 years of storage.

From the looks of things, it appears if you use them or store them you can expect to get 10 years and beyond of good life out of these eneloop cells!
    Lantern Light Output Comparison Review:
    http://getpreparedstuff.com/led-lantern-review

I have similar experience with my Eneloop AA and AAA. Great cells I should say.

Avoid the Powerex Imedion AAs....all 16 of them that powered my Fenix TK41 and Nitecore EA8 are now all junk, some of them even leaked!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    On a Break In cycle they came in at 900 mAh of capacity. In addition they seem to have lost their low self discharge capability. I would put the cells in the camera and on about the second use within a couple of weeks the voltage would drop low enough to shut off the camera.
    Many thanks!

Always interesting to learn about what it looks like when reliable things start to give in.

Flashaholic

Eneloopís are one of the best investments I ever made, still have a bunch from 2006 and 2007 going strong. My only failure was one that got a little bit crushed in transport.

i recently bought 16 of the current generation to use in 3AA to D cell adapters in a vintage radio.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    ('')_('')

I basically have Eneloops from two batches... 4 AAA cells I bought in 2010 and 12 AA cells made in April 2014. Out of the AAA cells, 3 have been badly impacted by use in a cheap wireless phone which did some heavy trickle charging to them, the 4th one should be OK. I'm now using two of the badly impacted 3 in the remote of my robotic vacuum whose batteries recently died, where they still seem to work good enough.

The AA's have been spread among various devices... currently, 6 are in my musical keyboard, 2 in a wireless microphone, 2 in a portable CD player and 2 in a toothbrush I bought yesterday to replace an Oral-B Vitality brush whose built-in battery died after nearly 7 years of use. So far none of the AA's have let me down.

In 2010 I started accumulating quite a few Eneloops / Duraloops and some Imedions - more than 100 cells and almost all are continuing to see regular use. So far I've only had to toss a couple AAA Duraloops.

It's time to run them all (when time permits) through a refresh cycle; I've only got one C9000 that I use for that so it'll take a long time ;-).

I plan on buying some 4th gen cells if I can't find where some of my stash have wandered off to, not because the Gen 1 cells are not usable.

Quote Originally Posted by tandem View Post
    In 2010 I started accumulating quite a few Eneloops / Duraloops and some Imedions - more than 100 cells and almost all are continuing to see regular use. So far I've only had to toss a couple AAA Duraloops.

It's time to run them all (when time permits) through a refresh cycle; I've only got one C9000 that I use for that so it'll take a long time ;-).

I plan on buying some 4th gen cells if I can't find where some of my stash have wandered off to, not because the Gen 1 cells are not usable.
    Good luck!

I have 8 AA std Eneloops from around 2007-08. They are were used in a handheld GPS and in some AA flashlights and in a digital camera. Only one died by getting a sky-high IR for some reason. The rest is still going strong and having their stated capacity. I have also 8 AA Eneloop pros from the second generation. Those are used in a camera flash and also baby monitor and work just great.
    I have recently bought 8 std and 8 pro AAs and 8 std AAAs from the latest generations from Japan and this might be enough for the next 10 years

I did a C9000 refresh/analyse on the first four cells at hand, a mixed bag of cells - one Amazon Basic (2 years old), one Imedion (7 yrs), one Duraloop (7 yrs), one Eneloop (3 years). The Duraloop, AB, and Eneloop all turned out with similar capacity reported by the C9000 using 0.5A charge and discharge ~ 1850mAh.

The Imedion reported only 220mAh usable capacity. I may do a refresh on that one just to see if that's real... but I suspect it's real. I have so far only tossed AAA and AA Imedions from my 2010 era purchases and probably have enough data points on that ... to discourage me from ever buying them again. That may not be fair given things change over the years.

Flashaholic*

I went through and counted up all my Eneloops I think I have. 384. Yeah, way too many, and I might have missed some in a device or two I've forgot about. About half of them I've never used yet. Of all the rest (including some from 2006), none have failed me yet. One of the 2006 cells is showing its age. A few more have reduced capacity because I cooked them in a light that gets too hot. I have reverse-charged a couple of them (drained flat in a multi-cell device, with a cell getting a small negative voltage), but they show no ill effects of it.

I generally take good care of them. I usually charge them slow, on chargers that terminate reliably and don't trickle-charge. I think the most any of them have been cycled is probably 300 or 400 times, but probably not even that much. So, the biggest issue most of them face is age. But so far, they're holding up very well. Way better than any other brand I've had in the past (but I've only bought Eneloops for the past 10 years).

I usually charge at least 16 cells per day, so they get a lot of use. But that use is spread out over a lot of cells.

Unenlightened

My first gen Eneloops from 2009 still have ~1750mAh, but a slightly higher internal resistance. But still good for the digital camera.
    My 2nd gen Eneloops from 2010 are like new.

5 Years ago I put 4 Eneloops 2nd gen in a handheld vacuum cleaner instead of Sub C NiMh.
    They are drained with 5A all the time and still are like new.
    The original Sub Cs were dead after 3 years...

Flashaholic* MidnightDistortions's Avatar

I've only had Eneloops for about 4 years. My AAA Eneloop Pro batteries had 90% IR, but I cycled them a few times and now only have about 30% IR. Weird.
    LED Lights: ThruNite TN4A, Coast HP7, LEDLenser T7, Fenix E25, Fenix LD41, Maglite 2D, Maglite XL50, Maglite 3D (3rd Gen), AA MiniMaglite Pro+
    Chargers: Maha C9000, La Crosse BC1000, Panasonic BQ-CC17, Eneloop user.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightDistortions View Post
    I've only had Eneloops for about 4 years. My AAA Eneloop Pro batteries had 90% IR, but I cycled them a few times and now only have about 30% IR. Weird.
    Do you mean mOhm? % is not really a good way to describe IR.

Flashaholic* MidnightDistortions's Avatar

I get IR readings from the C9000 charger.
    LED Lights: ThruNite TN4A, Coast HP7, LEDLenser T7, Fenix E25, Fenix LD41, Maglite 2D, Maglite XL50, Maglite 3D (3rd Gen), AA MiniMaglite Pro+
    Chargers: Maha C9000, La Crosse BC1000, Panasonic BQ-CC17, Eneloop user.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12