• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Mako Flood Run - A Titanium, Two-Stage, AAA-Based Flashlight

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Everyone,

I am currently working on a new batch of 75 Mako Flood flashlights.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Mako, it's a small, AAA-based flashlight with a 5mm LED, a fully regulated, efficient, two-stage driver, with a body made from bead blasted 6AL-4V Titanium that comes equipped with a tritium locator slot, a split ring mounting point, and a design that is capable of tail standing.

3371466670_bdafa05b02.jpg

3371475502_305a88d735.jpg

3363026695_782cb4754e.jpg

The objective with the Mako design was to make a nice, small, and very-long running utility torch that ran off of a common cell and would function well in any situation. It won't win any brightness contests, and never was intended to - what it will do is run well, reliably, and for a very long time. You can see some people's own thoughts on the Mako here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...the-most-important-flashlight-i-ve-ever-owned

In short, a summary of the light's features:
- AAA Based
- 13mm Diameter x 68mm Long
- Cree 5mm LED, Flood
- Machined from 6AL4V Titanium, Bead Blasted
- 24K Gold Plated Contacts
- Dual Stage, Fully Regulated DC/DC Converter
- Water Resistant
- Equipped with a split ring, locator slot, and capable of tailstanding

I made a run of these several years ago and seem to have been drafted by some of the members here into making a new batch since only five flood Makos were made at the time. You can view the original thread here (note that this batch is for Flood Makos, not a narrow beam):
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?215004-The-Mako-AAA-Titanium-Flashlight

Orders for new bodies have been placed with the machine shop, and I'm expecting for the project to be complete before the end of March.

This new batch of lights will sell for $150, plus $12 shipping via UPS to anywhere in the US, and $30 shipping worldwide. Orders have been placed for all the parts, and I am expecting to have the project complete and shipped by the end of March.

I don't really like the standard pre-order model, nor managing a list of "tentatively interested" parties, so I'm going to try something different and see how it goes.

All available lights are currently reserved. Once the lights are ready to ship I will contact you individually for the balance - there will likely be a handful of lights left extra after the run is completed, and those will be released at that time if there are any.

To anyone who reserves a Mako I will also extend a $25 discount and free shipping to an Aeon purchase – contact me at [email protected] if you would like one. Aeons typically ship out in 2-3 weeks, and only natural hardcoat ones are available (See www.muyshondt.net/aeon.shtml for more information on the Aeon).

If you have any questions at all please don't hesitate to ask in the thread, or send me an e-mail at [email protected]

Thanks folks!

Enrique

Last edited:

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enrique...I am absolutely in for one, but I am not somewhere that I can send deposit. It will likely be tomorrow night before I can. Hope these don't sell out before then.

vx000

Enlightened
Deposit sent - very exciting news! I think the Mako might have been the first custom light I ever bought on CPF - easily one of the most used! Thanks.

tsl

Enlightened
In short, a summary of the light's features:
- AAA Based
- 13mm Diameter x 68mm Long
- Cree 5mm LED, Flood
- Machined from 6AL4V Titanium, Bead Blasted
- 24K Gold Plated Contacts
- Dual Stage, Fully Regulated DC/DC Converter
- Water Resistant
- Equipped with a split ring, locator slot, and capable of tailstanding

Enrique, can you provide some more details of the LED you will be using? Color temp? CRI?

ffemt6263

Enlightened
Hey guys im real intersted here. I see you guys left deposits and such, i read the listing but where does it say anything about deposits, price, or payment info? Thanks guys

JMP

Enlightened
Hey guys im real intersted here. I see you guys left deposits and such, i read the listing but where does it say anything about deposits, price, or payment info? Thanks guys

It starts in the bold letters on the first post...

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
tsl: The CRI on these LEDs is around 75. The color will be between neutral and cool white.

nein166: Not a big deal either way. Your horse is amazing, by the way. ;)

Enrique

karlheinz3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take one of the flood versions and am sending deposit now. Are these vastly different from the original being advertised as a flood version? My wife still loves her pink Aeon and I think the Mako flood would be a good desk light since I just sold my Photonfanatic Killer.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
karlheinz3: They're pretty different. I don't have any beamshots, but perhaps one of the owners of the original five could oblige you.

fyrstormer: Low and lower; 20mA high, 6mA low. The LEDs are driven to spec for a solid lifespan on the diode.