New to this cool forum - can you help?

H

hotwired

Hi all, I'm from the UK and guess there aren't many members from this side of the pond! I'm building a low voltage light for my son, and need a 6V MR11 20w closed bulb from here in the UK - does anybody know of a good cheap source?

Hope you can help - thanks

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think you'll find a surprising number of members from your neck of the woods /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i imagine you'll get the help you need.. but if you can find a good price from a US manufacturer there's a nice gentleman offering free international forwarding from CPF.

-Ryan

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are in fact...one of the moderators here is a brit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif there're many more members from other parts of the world like australia, italy, germany, singapore, malaysia, taiwan, and probably a few more i've missed out.

i can't really help you with your question, but i'd like to extend a warm welcome to you on behalf of cpf! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome hotwired /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There are a few UK members here so don't feel too lonely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I know Maplin sell 6 volt MR11 bulbs up to 10 watts, so it might be worth giving them a call to see if they can supply a 20 watter.

Ross

Enlightened
Hi hotwired, welcome to CPF from a fellow brit. I can help with 12v MR16's (have a wee mod in the pipeline.....) but no experience with MR11's I'm afraid. Welcome anyway!

Ross

LED-FX

Enlightened
Suprising amount of UK people here...

Your query about MR11s, try B&Q or some of the large Asian stores selling fibre optic lamps and Xmas trees, MR11 is popular size source in these items. Mebbe 12V rather than 6V though and probably 10 or 5W lamp.Remeber a 20W lamp is going to get pretty darn hot as well.

Adam

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
They used to say the sun never sets on the British Empire...
That would suck, no time for flashlights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

H

hotwired

Hey thanks you lot! I posted this thread and then had to be away for a little while! I'm still on the look-out for a 6v 20w MR11, Maplins could only do me a 10W, I may have to stick with that!

By the way, I'm new here and not sure of the teminology, I am also after a 6v (I think they call it) Festoon bulb, anyway its one of those pre focussed bulbs that fits in a standard sized torch. Its got smooth sides with a lip on it! Ahhhhhh, my description is rubbish.

So its a 6v 10W or even 20W that I'm after. Any ideas?

I think I will go and find out what its proper name is!

Back soon!

Hotwired! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Another newbie here, but not new to LEDs. I use them
everyday (I maintain some large outdoor LED videowalls)
and I've always been fascinated by these little quantum
light bulbs!

RevDavid

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
They used to say the sun never sets on the British Empire...
That would suck, no time for flashlights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You just made me feel bad for those folk who live waaaay up north, where they might have to wait six months at a time to really have fun with their lights. Then again, for the next six months, they really have the fun!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

David <><