Forgot my charger on a 3 week trip to Maui-

J-FRAME

Newly Enlightened
or why I use lights that can use available store bought batteries. My primary Volere TI fires on a 14500 and my spare Fenix LDO1 R 2 on 10400 but with no charger I,m stuck with store boughts for three weeks which is o k and I will get by.Always carry a spare light as one is none two is one. All lessons learned.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some high-end smoking shops have 10440s and Li-Ion chargers for electronic cigarettes. Good luck foraging, though!

speedsix

Enlightened
That's why I only buy AA and AAA lights. Many of them can use the Li On cells for extra kick but all will still run just fine on regular alkaline and NiMHi in a pinch.

I can't bring myself to purchase another specialty light that uses a hard to find cell. Even CR123s are hard enough to find that I don't consider them anymore.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I can't bring myself to purchase another specialty light that uses a hard to find cell. Even CR123s are hard enough to find that I don't consider them anymore.
If I was on a trip and my only choice was $6-$8 for a two-pack in the 'photo section', I'd get really attached to 'moon mode' prior to returning home, lol. :)

speedsix

Enlightened
I went backpacking about a year ago with my brother and his kid. The ONLY place for miles around was a single hillbilly gas station. They had a few alkaline AAs AAAs and one lonely 9v battery for sale. No CR123s, no lithiums or anything else. My PT EOS was fine with AAAs but his Surefire 6P might as well have been a brick since it was dead when we got to the trailhead. He had to rely on his tiny and weak Petzel light that had the floss for a headband. Can't remember the model but it was not very bright.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] He had to rely on his tiny and weak Petzel light that had the floss for a headband. Can't remember the model but it was not very bright.
Yup, the Zipka. :) I ended up putting more runtime on mine than all of my other lights combined during two elk hunting trips a few years ago. Rather poor illumination, but ironically still an extremely useful & handy light. It currently resides in my wife's car.

LGT

Enlightened
Traveling three to five times a year, I've pretty much only brought along lights that use cr123 batteries, along with at least six spare batteries. But from this post, I can see a reason to bring one that runs on AA's. Sometimes things can be left behind.