Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 73

Thread: Things that need to be invented

  1. #1
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    11,121

    Default Things that need to be invented

    I can think of a number of things that the world needs that don't seem to exist yet. How about you?

    Right off the bat -

    A flash drive that allows the user to snap apart the USB controller from the memory. Thus if the controller blows out, you can resurrect the data by plugging in another one. I've lost two flash drives to controller failures so far.

    A shoe sole that can maintain traction on ice and on hard floors. Right now it seems to be one or the other.

  2. #2
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    995

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    . . . . A flash drive that allows the user to snap apart the USB controller from the memory. . . . . .
    Buy an SD card with USB interface. If one interface fails or won't work with some particular equipment, use the other interface.

  3. #3
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    11,121

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAusC View Post
    Buy an SD card with USB interface. If one interface fails or won't work with some particular equipment, use the other interface.
    That's a good idea, Mike. This is really the principle that flash drives should be based on, only in a smaller form factor.

  4. #4
    Administrator Norm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    9,125

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    That's a good idea, Mike. This is really the principle that flash drives should be based on, only in a smaller form factor.
    Use Micro SD, plenty of USB adapters available.
    Norm

  5. #5
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    11,121

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    A lithium battery that has some sort of self-extinguishing mechanism built into the electrolyte to keep it from failing violently.

  6. #6
    Flashaholic* Cyclops942's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,116

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    A behavior modification method to keep me from joining (competing with?) other drivers when they decide to act like inconsiderate idiots. Just because that other guy is being a [insert favorite pejorative here] doesn't mean I have to be one, too.
    Owner of the first full-on beamshot of The Beast II! (See avatar)
    Kris Cox

  7. #7
    Flashaholic* LEDAdd1ct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hudson Valley
    Posts
    3,173

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    I'd like a blanket that when you sleep with it, it lets you eat whatever you like the following day with no adverse effects.
    "...and the diode multiplied and grew in brightness. And God saw that it was good."

  8. #8
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    3rd Stone
    Posts
    2,197

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    Quote Originally Posted by LEDAdd1ct View Post
    I'd like a blanket that when you sleep with it, it lets you eat whatever you like the following day with no adverse effects.
    One aspect of that problem has already been covered (pardon the pun). https://buybettermarriageblanket.com/
    "Show them a light, and they'll follow it anywhere..."

  9. #9
    Flashaholic* Sub_Umbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    la bonne vie en Amérique
    Posts
    4,755

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    A 'magnet' that picks up broken glass...

  10. #10
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    11,121

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    An anti-cologne spray. Something you can carry around in a little spritz bottle that will neutralize the odor of cologne or perfume when you get it on your hands or skin from someone who's wearing it. I shook someone's hand the other day and I picked up the scent of cologne on my hand. Everything I touched after that picked up a little bit of that scent. Agh! I'd love to be able to zap it with a spray.

    I thought about Febreze but that has it's own scent, and I don't want to walk around smelling like a bottle of Febreze either!

  11. #11
    Flashaholic* orbital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    An anti-cologne spray. Something you can carry around in a little spritz bottle that will neutralize the odor of cologne or perfume when you get it on your hands or skin from someone who's wearing it. I shook someone's hand the other day and I picked up the scent of cologne on my hand. Everything I touched after that picked up a little bit of that scent. Agh! I'd love to be able to zap it with a spray.

    I thought about Febreze but that has it's own scent, and I don't want to walk around smelling like a bottle of Febreze either!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    ........................

  12. #12
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    /etc/hosts
    Posts
    914

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    An anti-cologne spray. Something you can carry around in a little spritz bottle that will neutralize the odor of cologne or perfume when you get it on your hands or skin from someone who's wearing it. I shook someone's hand the other day and I picked up the scent of cologne on my hand. Everything I touched after that picked up a little bit of that scent. Agh! I'd love to be able to zap it with a spray.

    I thought about Febreze but that has it's own scent, and I don't want to walk around smelling like a bottle of Febreze either!
    sadly...there is not much you can do for this except:

    a huge fan and filter system
    -or-
    chemicals which numb your olfactory nerves. most so called fresh 'scents that mask odors' actually do this,
    and they put a small scent out of their own, but also a chemical which affects your nervous system.

    nothing can actually get odors out of the air unless it is filtered, blasted with ionization, or simply
    overpowered by different scents.

  13. #13
    Flashaholic* Samy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    541

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    Power laces, hover board, mr fusion. That is all

  14. #14
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    11,121

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    Quote Originally Posted by Samy View Post
    Power laces, hover board, mr fusion. That is all
    Don't forget the most important part - the flux capacitor!

  15. #15
    *Flashaholic* fyrstormer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern VA, USA
    Posts
    5,829

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    I can think of a number of things that the world needs that don't seem to exist yet. How about you?

    Right off the bat -

    A flash drive that allows the user to snap apart the USB controller from the memory. Thus if the controller blows out, you can resurrect the data by plugging in another one. I've lost two flash drives to controller failures so far.

    A shoe sole that can maintain traction on ice and on hard floors. Right now it seems to be one or the other.
    Lots of smaller USB flash drives use MicroSD cards wedged in the plastic part of the USB plug. They are easy to swap if you have some extra-sticky tape you can use to pull out the MicroSD card by its edge.

    A shoe that maintains grip on hard floors AND ice is physically impossible, at temperatures humans can survive in. Ice melts under pressure, so when you step on ice, you're not slipping on the ice, you're slipping on the ice lubricated with a film of water. The only way to bypass that effect is to wear a shoe with hard points that can press through the water film and dig into the ice for traction, or move to Saturn's moon Europa where the ice is so cold it's as hard as steel. I promise it won't melt under your weight when it's that cold.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    A small, portable, cell-phone signal blocker! Ideal for cinemas, theaters, restaurants...

  17. #17
    *Flashaholic* fyrstormer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern VA, USA
    Posts
    5,829

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Umbra View Post
    A 'magnet' that picks up broken glass...
    Vacuum cleaner. Alternately, if you need a silent solution, Silly Putty.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 01-10-2012 at 01:14 PM.

  18. #18
    *Flashaholic* fyrstormer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern VA, USA
    Posts
    5,829

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    sadly...there is not much you can do for this except:

    a huge fan and filter system
    -or-
    chemicals which numb your olfactory nerves. most so called fresh 'scents that mask odors' actually do this,
    and they put a small scent out of their own, but also a chemical which affects your nervous system.


    nothing can actually get odors out of the air unless it is filtered, blasted with ionization, or simply
    overpowered by different scents.
    Really? Wow, that's creepy as hell. I don't buy Febreze now, and I never will in the future.

  19. #19
    Flashaholic* Launch Mini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,323

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    A computer monitor/glasses combo, that allows the wearer of the glasses to see the monitors image ( say CPF at work), yet anyone one else not wearing the linked glasses would see the monitor with an non coded image ( say a spreadhseet).

  20. #20
    Flashaholic* Launch Mini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,323

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    How about a mouth wash that removes all the nasty stuff on your teeth. So you just swish instead of brushing.

  21. #21
    *Flashaholic* fyrstormer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern VA, USA
    Posts
    5,829

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    Quote Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
    How about a mouth wash that removes all the nasty stuff on your teeth. So you just swish instead of brushing.
    Biotene, Listerine, and Crest mouthwashes all do this to a certain extent. There are also pressurized-water cleaners available. However, no liquid can pull gunk out from under your gumline, whereas toothbrush bristles and floss are extremely effective at this.

    At least, no mouthwash could completely dissolve food and bacteria without similarly dissolving your gums.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 01-10-2012 at 01:17 PM.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    Quote Originally Posted by chmsam View Post
    One aspect of that problem has already been covered (pardon the pun). https://buybettermarriageblanket.com/

    That is one hell of a blanket lol - wonder if retirement comes with one ??

  23. #23
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    /etc/hosts
    Posts
    914

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post

    At least, no mouthwash could completely dissolve food and bacteria without similarly dissolving your gums.
    oh they exist alright, but only in extreme cases of oral infection or surgery. with long term use they stain your teeth black, but will kill all bad bacteria. n-a-s-t-y

  24. #24
    Flashaholic* Cyclops942's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,116

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    An anti-cologne spray. Something you can carry around in a little spritz bottle that will neutralize the odor of cologne or perfume when you get it on your hands or skin from someone who's wearing it. I shook someone's hand the other day and I picked up the scent of cologne on my hand. Everything I touched after that picked up a little bit of that scent. Agh! I'd love to be able to zap it with a spray.

    I thought about Febreze but that has it's own scent, and I don't want to walk around smelling like a bottle of Febreze either!
    Try washing your hands under running water (although I suppose a basin of water would work) and stainless steel. I use a stainless steel pot-scrubber (think stainless steel wool), but you could probably use a couple of spoons (knives and forks have uncomfortable parts). I have no idea why this works, but it sure seems to remove the garlic and onion smell from my hands.
    Owner of the first full-on beamshot of The Beast II! (See avatar)
    Kris Cox

  25. #25
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    134

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    I can think of a number of things that the world needs that don't seem to exist yet. How about you?

    Right off the bat -

    A flash drive that allows the user to snap apart the USB controller from the memory. Thus if the controller blows out, you can resurrect the data by plugging in another one. I've lost two flash drives to controller failures so far.

    A shoe sole that can maintain traction on ice and on hard floors. Right now it seems to be one or the other.
    Well how about icebugs, they have studs that retract when on hard surfaces, but press into ice and packed snow when there. the only downside is they make a slight clicking when walking on linoleum. but you wont slip and fall great winter running shoes/boots

  26. #26
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    11,121

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    Quote Originally Posted by Jrubin View Post
    Well how about icebugs, they have studs that retract when on hard surfaces, but press into ice and packed snow when there. the only downside is they make a slight clicking when walking on linoleum. but you wont slip and fall great winter running shoes/boots
    Never heard of them but I will check them out. Thanks!

  27. #27
    Flashaholic* Cataract's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    3,769

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    Quantum tunelling cars that can ride right through each other. That alone would change the entire world...
    Cataract, Shiny things specialist.
    Google Map for CPF

  28. #28
    Flashaholic H-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    Quote Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
    A computer monitor/glasses combo, that allows the wearer of the glasses to see the monitors image ( say CPF at work), yet anyone one else not wearing the linked glasses would see the monitor with an non coded image ( say a spreadhseet).
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Priv...d-LCD-Monitor/
    Non quite the same, but close.


    How about a blood cell that can build other cells, so if say a finger is chopped off, it grows back as quick as blood supply can allow.

  29. #29
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    11,121

    Default Re: Things that need to be invented

    A commode with an ultrasonic transducer mounted in the bowl to break up the, um, "stuff" when it gets clogged.

  30. #30
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    134

    Default

    A really good $.50 cigar. That would make me happy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •