150mm sealed beams

opus

Newly Enlightened
I have another rig and it has 4 of these sealed beams. Is there a replacement sealed beam that might be an improvement? Not wanting to redo the whole system on this, just looking for a quick fix. What are my options?

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
I have another rig and it has 4 of these sealed beams. Is there a replacement sealed beam that might be an improvement? Not wanting to redo the whole system on this, just looking for a quick fix. What are my options?

If you really just want to stick with sealed beams, GE makes what is called Nighthawk Platinum...they're the best on the market. You could also do a sealed beam conversion using Hella buckets with Philips Xtreme Power H7 bulbs.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
There are in fact no good options for the 150mm x 92mm mini sealed beams. The solutions Lightdoctor mentions are not applicable, because there are no Night Hawk sealed beams in that size. Neither are there any Hella or other-brand "buckets" (I think he means lens/reflector units) in that size. Dan Stern used to have some good Cibie CSR units in that size, but that was quite awhile ago and I don't know if he still has them. There's generic replaceable-bulb junk from the usual suspects, but it's even worse than the abysmal sealed beams. Most vehicles originally equipped with 150mm x 92mm headlamps have other headlamp system configurations available. Usually you have to change the grill. It's worth the effort.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
There are in fact no good options for the 150mm x 92mm mini sealed beams. The solutions Lightdoctor mentions are not applicable, because there are no Night Hawk sealed beams in that size. Neither are there any Hella or other-brand "buckets" (I think he means lens/reflector units) in that size. Dan Stern used to have some good Cibie CSR units in that size, but that was quite awhile ago and I don't know if he still has them. There's generic replaceable-bulb junk from the usual suspects, but it's even worse than the abysmal sealed beams. Most vehicles originally equipped with 150mm x 92mm headlamps have other headlamp system configurations available. Usually you have to change the grill. It's worth the effort.

Oops, my bad...I though the OP was talking about the standard 4L sealed beam system.

Smeg

Newly Enlightened
First time post.

Advocacy of illegal and unsafe lighting modifications removed by moderator

Hope this helps...

Smeg

Last edited by a moderator:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of that is legal or safe to do. I'd suggest you convert back to stock, until such a time as you can do something to, ahem, truly upgrade your headlights.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Headlamps are a federally-regulated item of vehicle equipment. Please re-read the CPF Rules and FAQs, particularly Rule 11.

While your own car is your own car, and your life is your own life, the road you drive on, the other cars, and the lives of other people are not yours. By performing these illegal modifications, you jeopardize your own safety and the safety of others.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the reason the movers and shakers of the auto lighting board are telling you that this is a bad idea, is that it is.

1. Humans are bad at telling how well they see.
Really, the only way to tell if headlights work well is to use a simulated driving course to match changes in reaction times to changes in headlights. The things that make you feel like you see well are the things that prevent you from seeing: Bright splashes of light nearby are comforting, soothing, and keep you from seeing far ahead.

2. All road lighting is a compromise between seeing, being seen, and letting others see.
Putting 4 million-candlepower spotlights on the front of your car might let you see a long ways straight ahead on a level road. But with turns, highly reflective road signs to dazzle you, varying truck loads to point the lights at the ground or sky, and hills, you might just blind yourself or send all your light into the sky uselessly. Further, these spotlights will keep other drivers from seeing. If someone can't see due to your lighting and runs off the road (or into you), then it's on you. And if you're involved in a wreck, I wonder what your insurance company (And the other guys' lawyer!) will have to say about the illegal modification to your car's safety lighting?

3. All safety vehicle lighting in the US is federally regulated
The DOT does not certify lamps, car makers do. They go to a lot of trouble and expense making lights that are safe and reliable enough for use on the road, with lab analysis to show that the lights comply with federal law. It is illegal to drive with a lighting system that is not certified. Changing any lamp parameter (Height above road, aim outside aim points, bulb type, major change to bulb output, or bulb position) un-certifies the lighting system.

In short: It's neat to have big lights on your car, but it's a bad idea. Please don't drive like that, it's unsafe for you and others. Please don't move your high beams, and please do take the boat spotlights off your car. Many states will ticket you for even having extra lamps on a car.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
God, you guys! What are you trying to do, make me useless? ;-) It's getting so a moderator doesn't have anything to do around here because people on the forum are all pitching in to keep the forum on track and in shape. Thanks, everyone!

Smeg: the consistent response you're getting is because the lighting modifications/products you're recommending are illegal and unsafe. Rule 11 of this board prohibits advocating illegal activity. Please familiarize yourself with the rules of this forum, and follow them so that you can participate in the forum without your posts being deleted. Thank you.