Long distance walking.

finisterre

Newly Enlightened
Hi- I have a forty day cross country walk in the offing - It will probably be possible to buy a new battery every few days.

I would like something lightweight, dim enough to not disturb people sleeping in bunkhouses, and bright enough to walk on tracks with before dawn.

____Less than £40.
____I prefer a flashlight as a headtorch will clash with my hat.
____Every day carry small <100mm < 100 grams
____I want to buy off the peg
____I intend to use alkaline (AA) but I am open to other options,
____I want to navigate a dark room
____I want to read a map
____Bright is okay if it doesn't automatically switch on bright
____I need dim, dull and adequate to walk with light levels
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area
____Beam - 20 meters is plenty
____3 hours + 24 would be much better
____A simple switch
____I don't mind what it is made of low weight is important

This is a pilgrimage -If it doesn't have some militaristic tactical kill-zone offensive capability destroyer type name I would see that as a bonus :)

Thanks for your time

Last edited:

Jrubin

Newly Enlightened
i would think about a 4sevens quark X AA² (uses two AA batteries) below are the run times listed from the web site, plus $69 (£44)with free world wide shipping. and as a plus the name quark is a elementary particle and a fundamental constituent of matter (from wikipedia)

Moonlight: 0.3 OTF lumens for 15 days
Low: 2.7 OTF lumens for 3 days
Medium: 24 OTF lumens for 20 hours
High: 115 OTF lumens for 2.5 hours
Max: 280 OTF lumens for 0.8 hours
Strobe: 280 OTF lumens for 1.6 hours
SOS: 280 OTF lumens for 3 hours
Beacon: 0-280 OTF lumens pulse for 8 hours

finisterre

Newly Enlightened
thank you, I will check them out.

The olight i2 was suggested by the chap at flashaholics.co.uk-- I didn't go ahead with the prchase straight away because I thought I should read a couple of reviews.

Which seem okay.
Is it less good than the two suggested?

GaAslamp

Enlightened
Hi- I have a forty day cross country walk in the offing - It will probably be possible to buy a new battery every few days.

You'd best stick with AAs, then, and be sure to carry a few for backup.

I would like something lightweight, dim enough to not disturb people sleeping in bunkhouses, and bright enough to walk on tracks with before dawn.

How many hours do you think you'd need to use it for each day at walking brightness?

____Every day carry small <100mm < 100 grams

This would mean a 1xAA flashlight, then.

____I intend to use alkaline (AA) but I am open to other options,

Alkaline cells are not generally recommended around here because they have a tendency to leak when stored for a while or used too hard (i.e. for high brightness levels), but if you're going to be using it regularly at medium (like for walking) and low levels, then they could work. There are better options available, but they're more costly if you need to use a bunch or would require you to carry a charger. Knowing how much you expect to use the flashlight during your walk (approximately) would help us make recommendations.

____I want to navigate a dark room
____I want to read a map
____Bright is okay if it doesn't automatically switch on bright
____I need dim, dull and adequate to walk with light levels
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area
____Beam - 20 meters is plenty
____3 hours + 24 would be much better

24 hours for walking is a tough requirement for a 1xAA flashlight. The best one I know of for this is the one that I happen to EDC, which is the ZebraLight SC51c (although I actually carry the H51c version, which works the same). 14 lumens (about as bright as an old fashioned 2D incandescent flashlight) is enough for me to walk with in the dark (others may prefer more light, though), and it should run for at least 24 hours on a single AA cell at this level. Since you probably won't be using it for 24 hours straight, however, carrying a few spare cells will allow more options and give you more light if required.

Something from the ZebraLight SC51 series is what I would recommend personally if it were for a single flashlight, as they're the most efficient 1xAA flashlights around (and can meet your requirements fully in a small package), but I'm thinking that if you're depending on a flashlight for safety, then you should have a backup just in case of failure. :thinking: I always carry a backup (or two!). Unless you already own another flashlight that you'd be willing to carry and use in a pinch, let me try to find something less expensive than the options mentioned thus far. For the moment, off the top of my head the Fenix E11 should get the main job done (32 lumens for 8 hours, although I don't yet know how well it works with alkalines) at half the price, allowing you to buy two with your budget, but it lacks a low mode for use indoors when you wish to avoid disturbing people. Then there's the Olight i2 EOS, which does have a low mode (albeit not super-low like the SC51 series has) and offers 20 lumens for 5 hours (not as efficient as the others) for a similarly low price (for a quality flashlight). I'll poke around a bit more when I get a chance.

i would think about a 4sevens quark X AA² (uses two AA batteries) below are the run times listed from the web site, plus $69 (£44)with free world wide shipping.

It's kind of long, though, and in any case I think the XP-G version has better efficiency on the lower output levels that the OP is talking about.

Last edited:

finisterre

Newly Enlightened
The fenix looks good, I could clip it onto a walking pole or my rucksack strap and the 47sX moonlight setting would be ideal for checking under your bunk without waking the entire dormitory.

I have been in refuges where some chump has a hugely overpowered torch lighting the place like a disco at 3am and to be honest I wanted to kill him.

Not good for the karma.
:shakehead

I will have to choose just one.
arrrgh!

Thanks for the suggestions

tibim

Newly Enlightened
Try the Jetbeam PA40 (preferred) or the Fenix LD40(almost the same light)

4xAA... not entirely "lightweight"(although the plastic helps it drop a few grams)... but not bad if it's your only light. Fits the hand nicely. This light can fill alot of roles and I think it would be good for an extended trip like yours. Also has a battery meter so you'll know where you're at with your batteries. If you keep it on the lower levels it should have no problem giving you the runtime you need without even switching cells. The 50 lumen medium mode would be great for walking and will give you 27 hours of runtime.

Just got one of these and this would be my walking light. Good low/med output that lasts, blinding max output, and a reasonable high mode. Also great beam characteristics(It's wider, more floody, but still throws some) for medium distance viewing like walking would require. I like the plastic for anything used outdoor for long periods of time because it doesn't get as cold as metal. When you turn this light to max people will say "WOW!".

Also for outdoors the PA40 is available w/ neutral color LED which most people prefer for outdoor activities. I got mine from this neutral batch from Lightjunction, and I think they still have a few left. The fenix ld40 is also available in neutral, however it's not an XML led(the beam will be "tighter" and it doesnt' have as high of a max output). Also the plastic isn't carbon fiber reinforced, if that matters.

If this light is too heavy/bulky for you go with a 2xAA like the 47 quark AA^2 which has very good runtimes @ lower levels. You will be giving up max brightness, overall runtime, and may not be as comfortable to hold in cold weather. I'm afraid many of the 2xAA lights which don't have 5-6 modes will not have a low which can last as long as you want. Check the runtime specs @ all modes for whatever you buy.

-tibim

Last edited:

finisterre

Newly Enlightened
You'd best stick with AAs, then, and be sure to carry a few for backup.

agreed
a spare makes more sense than trying to get a litre out of a pint pot.

How many hours do you think you'd need to use it for each day at walking brightness?

6/7 worst case, more likely to be 2. (it depends if you are desperate to walk past the next refuge so that you get away from a chronic snorer)

Knowing how much you expect to use the flashlight during your walk (approximately) would help us make recommendations.

Probably not much unless we get into trouble. 15 hours max before the next pharmacy sounds about right, I was being a little overambitious with the 24 in the OP.

24 hours for walking is a tough requirement for a 1xAA flashlight. The best one I know of for this is the one that I happen to EDC, which is the ZebraLight SC51c (although I actually carry the H51c version, which works the same). 14 lumens (about as bright as an old fashioned 2D incandescent flashlight) is enough for me to walk with in the dark (others may prefer more light, though), and it should run for at least 24 hours on a single AA cell at this level. Since you probably won't be using it for 24 hours straight, however, carrying a few spare cells will allow more options and give you more light if required.

I will be walking with a couple of mates, they may be emitting some too. 15 should be good. I will look at the zebralight, efficient is always worth having.

I'm thinking that if you're depending on a flashlight for safety, then you should have a backup just in case of failure. :thinking: I always carry a backup (or two!). Unless you already own another flashlight that you'd be willing to carry and use in a pinch, let me try to find something less expensive than the options mentioned thus far. For the moment, off the top of my head the Fenix E11 should get the main job done (32 lumens for 8 hours, although I don't yet know how well it works with alkalines) at half the price, allowing you to buy two with your budget, but it lacks a low mode for use indoors when you wish to avoid disturbing people. Then there's the Olight i2 EOS, which does have a low mode (albeit not super-low like the SC51 series has) and offers 20 lumens for 5 hours (not as efficient as the others) for a similarly low price (for a quality flashlight). I'll poke around a bit more when I get a chance.

Excellent- I am starting to take notes now -:)

finisterre

Newly Enlightened
Sorry about the long times before my replies get through, (newbie).

I was / am responding in a timely manner.

cheers

fin

Harry999

Enlightened
The upgrade to this is the Fenix MC11 and it is a very nice light indeed. It has great regulation and the low is sufficient to walk with. Flip the diffuser down so that it becomes a lower level. Nice clip and can be used as a hand held or with a headband as a head torch or just clip it to your clothes and direct the light where you want it. It is about £37 with free delivery in the UK from the Fenix distributor - do a search on Google.

The Zebralights are also highly recommended. If possible I would say get a Zebralight headlamp and the Fenix MC11. Definitely a good combo. The Headlamp especially a floody Zebralight can provide local illumination as you walk and the R2 led of the Fenix MC11 is not a bad thrower to see further into the distance. :)

A Fenix MC10 could be cool, and it only weighs 3oz with battery...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ix-MC10-Anglelight-First-Impressions-amp-Pics

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
If you can get lithium primary AA batteries they are lighter and have more power than alkalines. They will be more expensive and harder to find though. It really is a good idea to carry a complete spare light if you can, not just extra batteries. There is a saying around here "One is none, two is one". If cost, bulk and weight is an issue, look at a Fenix E01 with one spare (lithium primary) AAA battery.

finisterre

Newly Enlightened
A Fenix E01 is now winging its way to me.

I shall see how good it is and then decide if doubling my money is necessary.

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup, fenix e01 10 bux will do this. no fuss, no muss light. aaa powered

need more light, fenix ld01 39 bux far brighter, has a low mode

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice choice! The E01 is a great, dependable little light.

If you can afford both, I think that a 4Sevens Quark X AA² with the E01 as a backup would be an excellent combination.

GaAslamp

Enlightened
6/7 worst case, more likely to be 2. (it depends if you are desperate to walk past the next refuge so that you get away from a chronic snorer)

So even in the expected worst-case scenario, your Fenix E01 (whether it ends up being a backup or primary flashlight) should get by on a single alkaline AAA cell, as typical real-world runtimes are a bit over 8 hours at 7-8 lumens. :thumbsup:

Probably not much unless we get into trouble. 15 hours max before the next pharmacy sounds about right, I was being a little overambitious with the 24 in the OP.

But still, the ZebraLight SC51c/H51c should be able to make 24 hours at 14 lumens, or at least come close since we're talking about alkaline cells--almost certainly at least 15 hours, I would expect.

I will be walking with a couple of mates, they may be emitting some too.

This makes a backup flashlight less critical, but of course I would still recommend having one (and being self-sufficient in general ;)).

That's great to hear! I think that the affordable--but tough and dependable--E01 would make a fine backup, or it could serve as your main flashlight, too, if you're sufficiently satisfied with its performance. Although I would prefer to have a nicer beam pattern and tint, I for one would have no problem with walking in the dark with an E01 for hours on end when necessary (some people would want more light, but it's enough for me). I often carry an E01 as a backup EDC flashlight, myself (alternates with an E05 and various others).

Your experiment will also let us know how much light you'll need, so do keep us informed on what you think.

vali

Enlightened
I think I know the trip you will be doing.

2xAA and 4xAA are too big and heavy to carry around for so many days. 1xAAA have no enough juice on them to use as a main light.

Get a small headlamp with a very low setting to use in bedrooms. It will not annoy anyone and you can even read the next day map. It will be useful to get ready in the late night/ early morning too. A Zebralight H51F comes to mind.

If you start your stages in the wee hours (and you will) you will need a light with a decent brighness and runtime. No need for superthrowers or thousands of lumens. A Zebra SC51 is ergonomically great to walk around, but since it seems it is to easy to accidentally activate it, you may end with depleted but unused batteries. A Quark MiNi AA is as small as you get in AA form factor, but using regular batteries is almost a 2 mode light with no true high. I think the Fenix E11 should be fine. You don't need throw and the "low" mode of 30 lumens for 8 hours is the thing I would use to start walking around. You have a higher setting if you need it too.

Then there is the backup. If always fails you should have something you can trust in: The E01 is almost unbeatable. Don't use it unlike you need it and a single cell will last you the whole trip. Is bombproof and very reliable.

Of course, start with lithium batteries. They are the lightest ones and have great capacity.

finisterre

Newly Enlightened
Thanks and yes, Galicia is my destination. :)

You have chosen a very nice place to live.
I have walked the Portugese route, twice, late spring and autumn.
I love it.
Pontevedra was my favourite place to spend a day.
Anyway, I shall try to stay on topic, sorry for the digression.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Since it's your thread about a long distance walk it's hard for you to get off topic! :)

A couple lights I really like that have been suggested are the SC51w and Quark MiNi AA, but if you need a lower level output as well the single AA Quark with its moon-mode would be better, and it's only a touch bigger and heavier than the three-level MiNi AA.