Imalent
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Foursevens Preon P0

Default Re: Preon P0-SS ... a new 1x AAA light ©2012 by 4Sevens!!!

As I have predicted, this light appears to be an E05 competitor/killer. I was hoping for a higher low and a higher high. I might still buy one if the beam is more floody than the E05.
    EDC: Zebralight H52w; Backup/loaner: Olight i3S
    Zebralight Mods: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=293092
    The only useful tool is the one you have with you when you need it.

And the tactical pen is "hiding" right in the middle of the main page. $99 though...ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by jtrucktools34 View Post
    Pre-Order is OPEN!!!

It's on the old 4sevens site at the bottom of the Preon Page!

Happy Shopping!

Jtruck

Just ordered one. What can I say -- I couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
    As I have predicted, this light appears to be an E05 competitor/killer.
    The E05 is rated for 27 lumens at 2 hrs, 50 min. This Preon only does 25 lumens for 1.5 hrs. Could that mean it has better regulation and is able to keep 25 lumens through the entire 1.5 hour runtime? That would be nice!

How about 0.25 lumens? Can anyone give an accurate description of how low that really is? I'm thinking 'Mag Soli with a weak battery' dim???
    Who knows...

Not a bad looking little light and the price is right in impulse buy territory. Think I'll hold out to see if he offers a NW version.

the upper comparative candidates are well regulated:

Klarus AAA XP-G R5, 26lm : 5.7hrs
    Revo AAA XP-E R2, 19.8lm : 5.7hrs (Revo is brighter than Klarus, maybe 27lm)
    Eagletac 2xAAA XP-E R2, 22lm : 6hrs
    Lumintop AAA XP-E R2, 23lm : 6.8hrs
    Tiablo AAA XP-G R5, 30lm : 5hrs
    iTP AAA XP-E Q5, 18lm : 4hrs
    Fenix AAA XP-G R4, 27lm : 2.8hrs
    P0 AAA XP-E, 25lm : 1.5hrs

Quote Originally Posted by stickx View Post
    I was expecting more in range of 80 lumens on high. And it has a magnet in the base which is fine unless you carry it near cards with magnetic strips on them like I do - the magnet screws with the magnetic strip. I like the DQG II much better, especially with the GITD tail.
    Maybe the new Streamlight Protac 2AAA would be more to your liking. 80 lumens high / 10 lumens low with NO magnet.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/p....aspx?pid=253#
    There's no reward for failure..........but death!

Well, I like the levels and the size, and if it is reflectorless, the floody beam. I just don't like having to twist several times to get to the usable level. I understand the desire to have a <1 lumen low, and having that come on first, but how many lights have to cater to this. If it's going to, I Prefer the interface of the Thrunite Ti. But for now I'll be sticking with my E05, because this did not 'kill' it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow

The E05 is rated for 27 lumens at 2 hrs, 50 min. This Preon only does 25 lumens for 1.5 hrs. Could that mean it has better regulation and is able to keep 25 lumens through the entire 1.5 hour runtime? That would be nice!

How about 0.25 lumens? Can anyone give an accurate description of how low that really is? I'm thinking 'Mag Soli with a weak battery' dim???
    It's bright enough to mess up your night adapted vision. The .09 lumen on my Sc600w and the .1 lumen on my sc51c are too bright alot of times.
    I'm still finding this to be an interesting light. I'll hold out until someone beats one around and posts the results here. If its in the league of the Eiger and LD01 in this area then it only makes sense to add it to my "little light" collection.
    This is my signature. They're many like it but this one is mine..

i am only concerned about the tint. the facebook pictures indicate that the tint is very ..

Quote Originally Posted by shelm
    i am only concerned about the tint. the facebook pictures indicate that the tint is very ..
    I will be holding out to see if a neutral comes to be.
    This is my signature. They're many like it but this one is mine..

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Foursevens Preon P0

Before 4sevens comes and verifies my words, i am quite sure that the runtime we see is on a Alkaline battery, not AAA nimh eneloop like in the test.

BTW preordered.

I thought that at first too, but then alkalines are normally good performers at such low current draws so I'm not sure why that would lower the runtime by much.

It was pointed out to me on BLF that the pictures look as if the light doesn't use a TIR lense, but in fact has a sort of E01 type semi-reflector behind a glass lense which is itself coated with GITD particles, this could also explain why the light looked so even flood in the video of the 4sevens press conference. As this 'semi-reflector' would only be 'semi-reflective' (that sounded good in my head ) however, it would cut off wide angle light from the LED and could lead to the reduced overall lumen output OTF.

Low: 0.25 OTF lumnes (120 hours)
    High: 25 OTF lumnes (1.5 hours)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    The E05 is rated for 27 lumens at 2 hrs, 50 min. This Preon only does 25 lumens for 1.5 hrs.
    This is surprising. I would think that a current regulated light would perform substantially better than a normal light.

And it has a magnet in the base which is fine unless you carry it near cards with magnetic strips on them like I do - the magnet screws with the magnetic strip. I like the DQG II much better, especially with the GITD tail.
    I wonder how deep and wide the cut-out is on the tail and how hard the magnet is to remove - perhaps the magnet could be removed and a trit vial could be epoxied in.

It's hard to say exactly what 0.25 lumens looks like, as a lot of manufacturers claim widely different outputs on low, but the outputs are often remarkably similar. However, the MagLight comparison is probably pretty close. It's a definitely a useful level at night, especially for a nightstand light.
    Having trouble with this forum? Maybe you're not using it correctly. See Carrot's quick tutorial here.

Flashaholic*

There are some things I like about it, and other things I don't like.
    The first thing I'd have to do is dig that magnet out of it somehow.
    Second, I'd hope and pray that it comes on in high mode. A quarter-lumen ain't what I have in mind when I turn on my flashlight.

I really like the small size.
    I like stainless steel construction.
    I like the price range.

As it is, I doubt this could bump my EO5 off my keychain but I'll have a look at it. The smaller size is the lure for me.

The E05 is also current regulated, I think the lumen loss is due to the optical design of the P0..

Quote Originally Posted by twl View Post
    Second, I'd hope and pray that it comes on in high mode. A quarter-lumen ain't what I have in mind when I turn on my flashlight.
    Looks like it comes on LOW.

From their website: http://www.4sevens.com/product_info....oducts_id=2846

Operating your Preon P0 is simple. Insert the battery with the positive side (+) toward the head. To turn it on, tighten the bezel (head) fully. The Preon P0 will turn on when the bezel is tightened, and turn off when the bezel is loosened. To switch between High and Low output, turn the Preon P0 off and then on again within 1 second. If the Preon P0 is turned off for 2 seconds or longer, it will revert back to Low.
    Who knows...

Flashaholic*

Bummer!

I understand why they are having it turn on low.
    But, I don't have to tiptoe past sleeping babies or wake up a grouchy wife, or worry about being captured behind enemy lines.
    I just want a flashlight that lights up when I turn it on.

Looks like the E05 ain't getting bumped off my keychain.

The Thrunite TI is .04 lumens and is a nice low low. The .25 lumens is actually a little higher than the Quark Moonlight mode of .2 lumens. Should be a nice light since it is like others have said the idea 2 modes the Thrunight SHOULD have been. Actually I like the .04 lumen low, I just wish the high was 20-30 lumens instead of 60 for the Thrunite.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by RedForest UK View Post
    I thought that at first too, but then alkalines are normally good performers at such low current draws so I'm not sure why that would lower the runtime by much.
    I am quite sure about my statement, 4sevens is used to write runtimes on alkalines. THe AAA alkalines still can't perform that well in such currents, it is still quite high for them.

I am expecting 2,5 hours on high in eneloop!

Default Re: New AAA keychain light -- Preon 0

Quote Originally Posted by shelm View Post
    revo is 72.4-72.7mm (HKJ's and selfbuilt's review)
    72.4 * (100-21)% = 57.2mm
    DQG is 56.6mm (HKJ's review)

Preon 0: 55.8mm long 12.7mm wide 13g
    DQG II: 56.6mm long 12.6mm wide 12g (spec says 57.5mm long)

Practically a tie. You'd have to tighten down the heads and line them up to tell that the Preon 0 is a mite shorter.

Using 4Sevens' specs, the Preon 0 runtime at 0.24 lumens is 120 hours -- 5 days of continuous moonlight. FWIW the Preon ReVO goes for 2.8 days at 1.5 lumens on the same battery.

The DQG II runs at 5 lumens/10 hours and 60 lumens/1 hour. Seems to me that while the Preon 0 and the DQG II are the same size, their different output levels keep them from being direct competitors. Almost like the DQG II is a good compromise between an Arc AAA, E01 or Preon 0 and something like a ReVO, Maratac or ITP AAA light.

I gotta admit, I'm really tempted to pick up a Preon 0 -- so far I've had great luck with 4Sevens products.

Aaron

Anyone notice the new versions of the Quarks have a min output of 1 lumen? Did they ditch the Moonlight modes?

The purported run times are an extreme disappointment and will likely force me to look elsewhere.

I just don't understand why the run times would be that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon of Light View Post
    Anyone notice the new versions of the Quarks have a min output of 1 lumen? Did they ditch the Moonlight modes?
    neither do their new icons (pictograms) follow the FL-1 Standard (Water Resistance, Beam Distance, Impact Resistance, Peak Beam Intensity, etc.) which Fenix was the first to print on its packages.

I was hoping for a ReVo-like light...ah well

Not a ReVO replacement, but still a nice light and very, very small. Sort of a mini ReVO with just low and medium, no high output. I just pre-ordered a Preon P0. I don't know that it will knock my ReVO SS off the keychain but I'm sure I can put it to good use just the same. :0)

Happy to see 4Sevens cooking up new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaZen View Post
    Well, I like the levels and the size, and if it is reflectorless, the floody beam. I just don't like having to twist several times to get to the usable level. I understand the desire to have a <1 lumen low, and having that come on first, but how many lights have to cater to this. If it's going to, I Prefer the interface of the Thrunite Ti. But for now I'll be sticking with my E05, because this did not 'kill' it for me.
    I've gotten used to twisting my ReVO SS as needed, and this one is a bit simpler so IMHO it's no big deal for me. This is not a tactical light, but I understand why ppl would want to start out on high output.

From reading the description this light *does* use a reflector, so I guess for some that's another strike against it. But it is supposed to be floody.

Cheers,

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ergotelis View Post
    I am quite sure about my statement, 4sevens is used to write runtimes on alkalines. THe AAA alkalines still can't perform that well in such currents, it is still quite high for them.

I am expecting 2,5 hours on high in eneloop!
    I hope you're right, let us know when you've tested and 4sevens could end up selling a lot more of these than otherwise!

I don't understand why most manufacturers send lights with alkaline cells in, according to ANSI you have to give the runtime/outputs with whatever batteries you package it with when sold. But if manufacturers sold them with energizer lithiums in then it would only cost them a little more and they could advertise much higher output/runtimes on the packaging, it seems well worth it from a marketing viewpoint.

I agree with shadeone and Mr. Walken, I'd like more knurling. I'm not crazy about the looks of the light, but I like the levels, the "floody" beam and the UI. Not a bad price point either. I was hoping for an E05 killer as opposed to an E01 killer, so I will definitely be in for one. I love my E05, but having a low level is a big plus for me.