Foxfury Scout
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161720 ... LastLast

Thread: Foursevens Preon P0

Default Re: Foursevens Preon P0

I just ordered one. 4sevens does make some unique lights. I'm looking forward to trying this one...

Quote Originally Posted by 4sevens View Post
    I dont' know about the dqg but the P0 is FULLY currently regulated, efficiently using every little bit of the tiny AAA battery
    Exactly like the DQG II in fact their drivers look very similar.(look exactly the same actually)

It's nothing like the dqg - in fact it wasn't even inspired by it. I didn't know about the dqg until this thread.
    Fair enough David, since you're not familiar with the DQG II let me show you some pictures so you can see why one could think (unfairly now that you have clarified the situation) that the P0 is a blatant copy of the DQG II (as many of us have been mislead to believe).

These are not pictures of the P0 but of the DQG II (yes that's a magnet in the tail) :

Last edited by romteb; 01-29-2012 at 02:46 AM.

I'd love to know if a big brother is planned at all? A 1x rcr123 @ a couple of hundred lumens with this kinda of beam profile and a magnet.. where do i sign?

Also, still waiting for my P0 sometimes living on the other side of the pond is a little annoying

Not likely. As I have mentioned in the past the neutral runs we made last quarter have stopped selling are stagnant. We can only invest so much into special runs. If they sell out (NW and Hi-CRI) then I'll be happy to make a run
    here some thoughts:
    If the NW's and Hi-CRI's of the Quarks did *not* sell too well in the recent past, then i would guess it was because of the demanded higher investment from the buyers' part. For example during Black Friday Blitz Sale none of them were offered, so they seemed higher priced than the standard Quark LED's. And when someone wants 1 Quark product (because he/she doesnt *want to* afford more of them) then it's a bit of a long shot to buy the same Quark again at a higher price and only with an improved tint. My thought is: if there had been NW's and Hi-CRI's from the very beginning of the introduction of Quarks *and* at the same price *and* discounted equally during sales seasons, *then* they would have sold out *better* than the standard Quarks. But that's way in the past and it's too late now. Back to the present:

By the way the P0's orders are streaming in so fast I don't think we'll make it through the weekend. We may be dry for a few weeks before the next batch comes in.
    From a marketing standpoint now would be the perfect point in time to run all(!) forth-coming batches in NW. This thread has shown that enthusiasm for the PO prevails and people are willing to order several copies, and even more copies if the tint was improved. The product is new, these days there is a big forward momentum in PO sales, people hop off their fences and do the little plunge, and it's the first big wave of PO sales. A successful start. These same people would very much likely buy (now again!) another copy/copies of the PO if it was already available in NW. Why? Because of the momentum and present enthusiasm for the novel product. The interest *now* in an improved tint is intenser than months later when the last ones have *already* left the fences (and spend the money on the PO-SS or something else, like the DQG) and the general first wave has waned.
    If you can offer a batch with NW's (the tint is the only repeated point of criticism in this thread and much easier to fix than other points like brightness on High (disappointing to many, 30lumens) and the very wide flood angle) now, we could promise you an increasing, growing first wave of sales (which includes re-buys by the 1st customers) and even more people joining the forward momentum.

The DQG Tiny III *is* your direct competing product, no doubt. It's the luck of the PO to be out first. First come, first serve. Wins. As soon as the DQG is back available (there are probs with the supply of Trits, which is a new feature in rev.III), the PO wave will wane and tint snobs and many others will get very interested in the DQG. And why would there be a wave for the DQG?

Because of the PO. The PO has set the tone, and the DQG has gotten considerable publicity and exposure. Free advertisement. The expectations are high, and the key feature of the DQG had always been its tint choice. No wonder that the DQG always got completely sold out. Legendary product.

The deal is: You offer the NW now, and the PO will be clearly the winner over the DQG (i.e. you win us all over) once and for all, and your first sales wave will *not* wane when the DQG becomes available(, which will be soon enough afaik).

Much of the above is speculation. But marketing experts with experience and knowledge of "when is the best point in time to introduce a release" might agree. (( i guess that the main reason *not* to have produced NW's from the very beginning is the investment. NW LED's are more expensive and this would have ruined the beautiful 24.99 point. so no reproaches by any of us. ))

Thanks for considering!!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Burntrice View Post
    I'd love to know if a big brother is planned at all?
    Not a big brother, but there is a big cousin out there. The DQG aa version takes a 14500 and is about 200 lumens.

They do look alike, but i guess this thing shapes itself when you want to shave off every mm of unwanted steel. They are different so why not have both. One with more throw and a huge hotspot, One with a huge all even flood.
    Last edited by jorn; 01-29-2012 at 05:22 AM.

I still think these and the A3/i3's both need to be sold in retail stores(particularly hardware stores). Just think of how these would sell if they were on a checkout counter with a chained demo.

Quote Originally Posted by shelm View Post
    here some thoughts:
    If the NW's and Hi-CRI's of the Quarks did *not* sell too well in the recent past, then i would guess it was because of the demanded higher investment from the buyers' part. For example during Black Friday Blitz Sale none of them were offered, so they seemed higher priced than the standard Quark LED's. And when someone wants 1 Quark product (because he/she doesnt *want to* afford more of them) then it's a bit of a long shot to buy the same Quark again at a higher price and only with an improved tint. My thought is: if there had been NW's and Hi-CRI's from the very beginning of the introduction of Quarks *and* at the same price *and* discounted equally during sales seasons, *then* they would have sold out *better* than the standard Quarks. But that's way in the past and it's too late now. Back to the present:

From a marketing standpoint now would be the perfect point in time to run all(!) forth-coming batches in NW. This thread has shown that enthusiasm for the PO prevails and people are willing to order several copies, and even more copies if the tint was improved. The product is new, these days there is a big forward momentum in PO sales, people hop off their fences and do the little plunge, and it's the first big wave of PO sales. A successful start. These same people would very much likely buy (now again!) another copy/copies of the PO if it was already available in NW. Why? Because of the momentum and present enthusiasm for the novel product. The interest *now* in an improved tint is intenser than months later when the last ones have *already* left the fences (and spend the money on the PO-SS or something else, like the DQG) and the general first wave has waned.
    If you can offer a batch with NW's (the tint is the only repeated point of criticism in this thread and much easier to fix than other points like brightness on High (disappointing to many, 30lumens) and the very wide flood angle) now, we could promise you an increasing, growing first wave of sales (which includes re-buys by the 1st customers) and even more people joining the forward momentum.

The DQG Tiny III *is* your direct competing product, no doubt. It's the luck of the PO to be out first. First come, first serve. Wins. As soon as the DQG is back available (there are probs with the supply of Trits, which is a new feature in rev.III), the PO wave will wane and tint snobs and many others will get very interested in the DQG. And why would there be a wave for the DQG?

Because of the PO. The PO has set the tone, and the DQG has gotten considerable publicity and exposure. Free advertisement. The expectations are high, and the key feature of the DQG had always been its tint choice. No wonder that the DQG always got completely sold out. Legendary product.

The deal is: You offer the NW now, and the PO will be clearly the winner over the DQG (i.e. you win us all over) once and for all, and your first sales wave will *not* wane when the DQG becomes available(, which will be soon enough afaik).

Much of the above is speculation. But marketing experts with experience and knowledge of "when is the best point in time to introduce a release" might agree. (( i guess that the main reason *not* to have produced NW's from the very beginning is the investment. NW LED's are more expensive and this would have ruined the beautiful 24.99 point. so no reproaches by any of us. ))

Thanks for considering!!
    Holy cow Batman!

I plan to order one or two... And another few lights as well from 4Sevens. Do I want a neutral P0? Couldn't care less in a light that size and at that price with those features I'm impressed.

I think 4Sevens has done well! Good on you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by tbenedict View Post
    I still think these and the A3/i3's both need to be sold in retail stores(particularly hardware stores). Just think of how these would sell if they were on a checkout counter with a chained demo.
    maybe producing and distributing 100,000 copies/month of the PO is a challenge but if only 1% of the buyers were unhappy and asked for major support (e.g. FREE replacement copy) this would account for 1,000 RMA cases per month.

Then you have a big problem. you have sold hundreds of thousands of units (and made reasonable money) but need to handle 1,000 cases of customer complaints (justified cases or not, doesnt matter. the customer is dissatisfied and you must defend the CS's reputation). Surefire is a sizable company with a department specialized on RMA's. They could handle a large monthly volume of cases.

i certainly agree. i3/A3's, PO's, E01's should be available in hardware stores instead of Rayovac's, Duracell's and Varta's -- maglites are still okay. they're coming up with new updated stuff.

Guys please take the NW/special run to another thread and keep this thread on topic It's been discussed before and should be continued there - just not here

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by jorn View Post

They do look alike, but i guess this thing shapes itself when you want to shave off every mm of unwanted steel.
    I think this is the most important design point for people talking about similarities.

Has anyone run down a battery in their P0 yet. Does it drop out of regulation and slowly fade away or wink out suddenly? Also, will it re-light with that run down battery? Probably be a couple days before mine gets to this point.

Geoff

Enlightened

The deal is????? Theres no deals bro - David is head of the company and he has done things correctly in the past (obviously) and will continue to do so. Dont like it? GTFO and start your own flashlight company.

How rude.

SikDa
    Last edited by shelm; 01-29-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Flashaholic*

The xp-e usually outshines the xp-g in small aaa lights. So it depends what you want, lux or lumens. Some of my most used aaa lights are xp-e. For it's price, and "unike beampattern", i dont mind another aaa xp-e light
    I dont know if it's just my luck, but i havent seen a really bad tinted xp-e yet. Everytime i order a xp-g, i cross my fingers.

shelm: ever think of modding one for yourself?

i would think that the xp-g would give you even more flood in the P0 but as long as the tint is nice i dont mind.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter21 View Post
    i would think that the xp-g would give you even more flood in the P0 but as long as the tint is nice i dont mind.
    Maby, but as Davis said, it's not hard driven. And he wanted to shave the $ to a minimum With a small lumen difference, i would be very supriced to see any visual difference in output at all. With a fixed focus for flood, the beampattern will stay the same, and those extra few lumens has a huge area to hide in.

Quote Originally Posted by Streamer View Post
    ever think of modding one for yourself?
    not yet. thanks for the idea, will consider it if the DQG turns out to be a piece of minor production quality.
    if both were built exactly equal (except for the material), then i would get a couple of the PO's because of the performance guarantee. i would agree that the weight difference would be minimal between a PO-SS and PO-TI (maybe 3000 miligrams) and is not worth considering anymore for an additional 10 bucks. Superior material quality but ruins the fun of the whole story.

when time comes ill ask my neighbor to teach me soldering .. after school and homework i am usually off in the afternoons so i can practice my soldering technique. he likes flashlights but has no clue about Cree high performance Power LED's.

I have two PO's and the Ti pen showing up from foursevens tomorrow, and a Moddo Pocket should show up too.

Gonna be the best Monday I've had in months. Always easier getting out of bed when you know you have a fewnlights coming in the mail.
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

Tint is Subjective:

Shot taken with P0 providing light on high. No controls. Back wall is your standard white wall. Wall shows pretty cyan tint.... What gets me is the white on the can labels .

Tint issues aside, I'm more interested in what is in the cans.

@Streamer

When you said "No controls", what do you mean? What is the white balance setting on your camera?
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Flashaholic*

I will probably get one but, holding off until I can read a review..

Quote Originally Posted by Streamer View Post
    Tint is Subjective:

Shot taken with P0 providing light on high. No controls. Back wall is your standard white wall. Wall shows pretty cyan tint.... What gets me is the white on the can labels .

Tint issues aside, I'm more interested in what is in the cans.
    Isn't that all flood beam incredibly useful! This is what Zebralight H501 owners have been raving about all these years.

As for this light, I probably won't buy one because the low is too low for my uses.
    EDC: Zebralight H52w; Backup/loaner: Olight i3S
    Zebralight Mods: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=293092
    The only useful tool is the one you have with you when you need it.

Enlightened

after school
    That explains it. Youll learn with age.

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    @Streamer

When you said "No controls", what do you mean? What is the white balance setting on your camera?
    by no controls, i meant i didn't have a shot in daylight to compare it to

white balance is set on "auto" Panasonic LZ10

I'm no pro, but the picture on my screen looks exactly like the photo I took in the pantry. If anyones interested the white walls are "oyster white"...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ragweed View Post
    I will probably get one but, holding off until I can read a review..
    ragweed: you and i seem to like the same kind of lights thus far. You'll love this one. Forget the tint thing. You shine this thing on white sheets and you'll see white sheets.

here some thoughts:
    If the NW's and Hi-CRI's of the Quarks did *not* sell too well in the recent past, then i would guess it was because of the demanded higher investment from the buyers' part. For example during Black Friday Blitz Sale none of them were offered, so they seemed higher priced than the standard Quark LED's. And when someone wants 1 Quark product (because he/she doesnt *want to* afford more of them) then it's a bit of a long shot to buy the same Quark again at a higher price and only with an improved tint. My thought is: if there had been NW's and Hi-CRI's from the very beginning of the introduction of Quarks *and* at the same price *and* discounted equally during sales seasons, *then* they would have sold out *better* than the standard Quarks.
    That's a great point. I agree with you that if they offered high CRI emitters as part of their regular stock that they'd find better success than they currently do with limited "special edition" run at a mark-up.

Quote Originally Posted by swxb12 View Post

Here we have Fenix E05 left, P0 on the right (on high).

The E05 shoots out a big hotspot, while the P0 is a giant moonbeam.
    Nice wallshot thanks! i have a flood-to-zoom torch Sipik so i should be able to compare the flood size. At 1.0m distance (or other distance) how wide does the diameter result? In the picture i cannot tell what the distance is.

( In school i belong to the friendliest students. my classmates they are the rude ones. Havent been called to detention for 1.5yrs+ !!! )

Swiss Bianco made a 10 Minutes Video Review. (unfortunately it does lack a bit on the "light/beam" site, but quite nice! )

It is to be seen here:
    Last edited by IRONMANq; 01-30-2012 at 02:18 PM.

I also ordered one as I really love FOURSEVENs products and would like to see what they made of it. Can't wait to try it out.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam - Cato the Elder