Malkoff
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Foursevens Preon P0

Default Re: Foursevens Preon P0

Quote Originally Posted by gbelleh View Post
    I like the GITD reflector a lot. The price is good. But I wish the magnet was optional, or at least easily removable. I know I don't want my keychain light sticking to everything else in my pockets. And I've never had the need to stick my light on anything yet. I'll stick with my ReVo for now.
    +1. I love the idea of a magnet in the base but don't really think I'll use it in my keychain light since it's attached to my keys which are pretty heavy... at the same time, I'm a little worried about having a strong magnet in my pocket in terms of messing with credit cards and such.
    Galadriel: I give you the light of Eärendil, our most beloved star. May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out.

Quote Originally Posted by applevision View Post
    +1. I love the idea of a magnet in the base but don't really think I'll use it in my keychain light since it's attached to my keys which are pretty heavy... at the same time, I'm a little worried about having a strong magnet in my pocket in terms of messing with credit cards and such.
    I have kept hard drive magnets next to my credit cards biking to and from class with no problems. A hard drive magnet is much more powerful than this. The BEST way to erase magnetic media is a rapidly changing magnetic field - a magnetic eraser flips North/South quickly to scramble things. A magnet won't do that under normal conditions.
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

Quote Originally Posted by shelm View Post
    looks like a ~160° flood. perfect!!
    i also like the green tint because it is a beautiful green and you cant decide if it's actually a blue tint and not the ... greenish tint of an xpg or xml.

i think the tint is called turquoise
    !!!
    WOW! That really is GREEN. For anyone who's seen it in real life, is it that bad? Or maybe it just looks that way on the video?
    Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    WOW! That really is GREEN. For anyone who's seen it in real life, is it that bad? Or maybe it just looks that way on the video?
    Mine is just very cool, not green at all.
    In god we trust.........all others are suspects
    There are no problems in life that can not be solved with high explosives or small arms
    Too many new lights to list

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Wonder if the green GITD material is coloring the beam at all...

One thing to keep in mind, this is a flood light, so it will not seem as bright as a light with a reflector/hotspot.

Quote Originally Posted by AnAppleSnail View Post
    I have kept hard drive magnets next to my credit cards biking to and from class with no problems. A hard drive magnet is much more powerful than this. The BEST way to erase magnetic media is a rapidly changing magnetic field - a magnetic eraser flips North/South quickly to scramble things. A magnet won't do that under normal conditions.
    Thank you for this... this makes it a little more tempting... I want to read reviews!
    Galadriel: I give you the light of Eärendil, our most beloved star. May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out.

Your order has been updated to the following status.
    New status: Shipped

​Woot!

Flashaholic*

Yeah mines on the way as well.
    My Lights: EDC; Nitecore EC1, ZLSC52, Quark Mini AAW, Preon P2
    Duty; Mag Recharger, Malkoff MD2 w/M60, C2 Bored w/LX2 clip Malkof M61 219

Flashaholic

I'm going to wait for the reviews. I don't think this will displace my SS ReVo, but it might make an awesome gift light (previously the itp A3 and now the Thrunite ti). Tad concerned about the runtime. Especially for a gift light to non flashaholics who don't carry backup lights or batteries.
    4Sevens Quark AA^2 Ti, ReVo SS, Zebralight H51W, Fenix TK35, itp A3 EOS, Fenix E21 L2D, E01, TK20, LD01 SS, E01; MAG 2D w terralux drop in; AKOray k-106

Flashaholic

Is it confirmed it is 1.5 hour hour runtime using Eneloops?

Quote Originally Posted by edpmis02 View Post
    Is it confirmed it is 1.5 hour hour runtime using Eneloops?
    no its not.
    in the nutnfancy booth review David said something about "normal Alkalines" and "one humple triple A".

but let's get real. on an Enveloop runtimes wont be significantly higher. high performance Cree LED just drag any kind of cell to early

great booth review btw, thanks nutnfancy!! ( is he a cpf member? )
    Last edited by shelm; 01-23-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Happy to see the moonlight and the runtime seems about right given the capacity of the AAA. Quite surprised at the runtime for the 25 lumen level though, that seems proportionately low compared to 4Seven's AAs and the Revo is supposed to do nearly 6 hrs on a AAA @ 19 lm. What gives?

Flashaholic*

In the vid David says it's underrated and does more like 30 otf lumens. Asperics is less efficient compared to a reflector for gathering the light from the led. In this case it's a flood tuned asperic so the lense is really close to the led. With a 130 degree beam angle on the led, im sure there are some lumens lost compared to a reflector. Even with the lense close to the led. Who knows the actual current draw?

Woot! mine shipped today! Can't wait.
    Noticed today that my Preon 1 with clicked turned on in my pants, it'll be nice to edc something much smaller and a twisty so it wouldn't accidentally turn on.
    Current EDC: BA10 & E01 (back to old school)

Looks like mine are on the back end of the preorder as I didn't receive my shpping notice. Maybe tomorrow
    Click Here to view my lights

Flashaholic*

Waiting for the first reviews with charts

Flashaholic*

Doesn't the Fenix E05 achieve 25+ lumens for nearly 3 hours on Eneloop? One of my favorite EDC lights.

Hoping for the same type of runtime on this light with rechargeables. An even wall of light is very useful and easy on the eyes for general EDC usage (for my needs, anyways) and the versatility of the super long running low could make this a winner.

In HKJ's review of the E05, he got about a full hour more of runtime out of the Eneloop vs. alkaline, so even at lower voltages the Eneloop still outperforms. My point is that there is still a high probability that the runtime numbers on the package of the Preon 0 are less than you'll get on a good nimh cell. According to this runtime test of the E05, he got 5-6 hours on a lithium primary, so there is hope for that as well.

Ok, the runtime charts on HKJ's review persuaded me to pre-oder

David says it's really 30 OTF. 30 for 1.5 hours is still pretty poor but HKJ's review shows the E05 adding 50% to the runtime when using eneloop over alkaline AA. This leads to an estimate of 2hrs 15mins with an eneloop on the P0. I'm guesssing the slight loss in lumens from the E05 is due to the lense type, the P0 doesn't look quite like traditional TIR and more like an aspheric type with semi-reflective GITD backing.

Still 30 OTF for 2hrs 15 isn't bad at all. I measured my iTP A3 (XP-E std ed.) at only 60 OTF in reality and that goes for 50 minutes. When considering the P0 uses XP-E not XP-G it seems also in line with the Fenix LD01 R4 which does 78 OTF for 45 mins or 30 OTF for around 3 hours as XP-G is around 50% more efficient than XP-E (at standard flux bins Q5 and R5). I'm assuming this uses XP-E R2/R3 depending on optical losses in the lense set-up according to these estimates.

Knew I wouldn't be able to resist for long. Pulled the trigger this morning and have already received the "shipped" notice. In spite of just getting the ThruNite Ti, I decided this one is different enough to try. Sounds like it will occupy a niche truly its own.

Isn't that just like a flashaholic to come up with some lame justification for a new light.

Thought I'd throw a run time graph up for you guys. I use freshly charged Eneloops when doing these run time tests. I compared against an Olight i3 which most of you are familiar with. Looks like the circuit has good regulation and pretty efficient. In fact a little better than the i3 on medium.......which was the mode that is closest to the P0. Run time was 186 minutes.
    Updated chart: run time with lithium cell came in at 306 minutes on high.

Last edited by hiuintahs; 01-25-2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Updated chart and added run time from lithium L92 battery.

Enlightened

Wow.... over 3 hours! David... bump that spec number up a bit!

finish looks a bit dodgy in that pic.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
    finish looks a bit dodgy in that pic.
    If you are referring to the run time graph that is pretty normal to have the output taper off like that at the very end on a boost regulator circuit. Pretty much all brands of lights have the same phenomena.

Since the voltage of a single cell is very low to begin with, electronic parts in the driver circuit are the low voltage types and they typically operate down to 0.8 volts +/- some tolerance. So as the cell reaches its exhaustion and can no longer supply the current for regulation, the driver circuit is still functioning and takes whatever it can from the cell. The decay then becomes an exponential equation.

Unless there is a built in comparator circuit to shut down the driver at a certain voltage, you will see this curved decay at the very end. A comparator circuit just adds extra cost and most don't do it. Besides I think there is some benefit to the light fading out as it gives a warning while there is still some usable light.

Flashaholic

hiuintahs thanks so much. that's what i was waiting for.... order sent!
    4Sevens Quark AA^2 Ti, ReVo SS, Zebralight H51W, Fenix TK35, itp A3 EOS, Fenix E21 L2D, E01, TK20, LD01 SS, E01; MAG 2D w terralux drop in; AKOray k-106

Thanks for the runtime graph hiuintahs (been there, btw). I was almost positive that it would run better on rechargables because most current-regulated lights do. I'd be willing to bet that runtimes are even better on lithiums. Don't know what's up with all the naysayers?

This light looks like a winner in my book. I like that it comes on on low first and that it's a low low. While I would prefer a lower low, I don't think it will matter because of the flood beam. I also like that it is a simple two-mode light - i don't like it when a product tries to be something it is not and generally a AAA light is not a high output monster, so a low low and medium flood AAA light is perfect for me. The fact that it's stainless steel is nice and the price is hard to beat at $25 shipped!

I ordered mine yesterday and got a shipping notice this morning. I didn't expect these to start shipping out so soon. Looking forward to putting one through its paces.

thanks for the runtimes...

you just helped 4sevens sell another P0

same here...one on the way. Really excited to see what it can do on lithium primaries.

Hiuintas, thanks for the runtimes man !!!
    I knew it had to be better than 1.5 hours with an eneloop.

I'm In. And for $25 shipped... gotta love it.
    Last edited by Streamer; 01-24-2012 at 11:25 PM.